HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Oct 2011
15 Posts
Over all not too happy with it. Not much roll coupling but pitches a bit to gear on KE. Fairly stable in a harrier with slight tendency to drop a wing but gives lots of warning. Had to move the cg forward a bit from the 4" mark but the plane still flies with a very tail heavy feel pitching up and down in flight. As I moved it forward hovering got more difficult requiring lots of input and large amounts of throttle and the pitching got only a little better. The thing this plane did the best was a rolling harrier. A little hard to handle at high rates but when I backed the throws down a bit it had a nice constant roll rate and was not too difficult to move around turning circles or loops.

My biggest complaint would be the pitch sensitivity the plane never really felt locked in. Even the landings were not great, I had to apply down elevator to stop the tail from dropping. I know if I moved the CG forward it probably would have got better but the 3d would have suffered too much.

I'll keep it for now and play around with it a bit more but I am going to order a 3DHS 51" Slick. I know it is 2-1/2 times the price but from the videos I have seen looks like a much better plane.
justplane4fun is offline Find More Posts by justplane4fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:24 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,460 Posts
Thanks for the report, it prety much confirms what most of the folks here on the groups have said, the HK models are cheap, make ok sport planes but for 3D they just havent got it yet.

You will be happy with the 3D hobby shop slick, and think of the money you would have saved if you had started there.

Set it up neutral or just slightly nose heavy and it is rock free and very little coupling in knife edge.( a little coupling can be mixed out with the radio with no other adverse effects.) Try it on the HK

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
15 Posts
Thanks Dennis,

Ya I was all over the programing with my 14MZ but not much gonna make a bad plane fly well. It's a 3D plane it's just not a "GOOD" 3D plane.
justplane4fun is offline Find More Posts by justplane4fun
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Hey now some guys like myself got into 3d because of 3DHS planes. So some people might think they were the pioneers for everything.
its easy to blame the dictator but, its the brainless sheep that actually do the dirty work r the real problem. 1 totally evil person can only cause limited problems, its the accumulated ignorance of millions that "didnt know any better" that r the root cause of slavery, racism etc.....
sfactor1 is offline Find More Posts by sfactor1
Last edited by sfactor1; Feb 04, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnlrun View Post
I was going to do a total HK outfit on this. They have some very nice Turnigy MG servos I use in my habu. $5 each, $10 Spektrum rx, $13 60 amp ESC, $8 BEC. You can't go wrong. Oh yah, gotta add the SK 35-42 on 4s as well
a "total" hk outfit will require the use of hk tx. no spektrum or jr txs!
sfactor1 is offline Find More Posts by sfactor1
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:20 AM
STILL NO BUCKING IDEA
perth western australia
Joined Aug 2007
506 Posts
i just bought one of these, looks ok , i got a hacker a30 , hacker 55 amp seedie , hs 65mg servos running from a 4s 3000 batt

cant 3d , just got it to have a go tho lol so hopefully ill get time to fly after xmas.
havent fitted anything together yet , but out of the box parts look good i will weigh each piece n let u know thew weight if u interested
mr fabulous is offline Find More Posts by mr fabulous
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:21 AM
Romania
Joined Jul 2009
36 Posts
Good luck with your new plane and happy landings!! Please post some pictures of the edge. I am interested in buying one of these because I feel to much compassion for my PA extra 260 and I want to learn on something much cheaper.

Regards, Adrian.
silverarrow25 is offline Find More Posts by silverarrow25
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:42 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,460 Posts
Save your money, this will not be a good plane to learn 3D, you will always be woundering why it is so hard to do. Not the pilot but the plane. If you just want a sport plane then you will be ok.

Learn 3D on a Buck huck. If something bad happens then you will know it was the pilot.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:53 PM
Romania
Joined Jul 2009
36 Posts
I like 3dhs planes. But here in Europe it is hard to find one. I don't know if 3dhs could send me one. I bought my PA extra 260 & MX straight from Australia and the shipping wasn't cheap. I'm still looking for a good plane to learn 3D.. what do you think about the yak 55 epp from hobbyking?

Adrian.
silverarrow25 is offline Find More Posts by silverarrow25
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:44 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,692 Posts
3dhs now has a presence in England. Things may be looking up for you. :-)

Merry Christmas to all!!
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:47 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
I think that it's better ro learn 3D on small light foamies and then move to balsa. Foamies are much cheaper and simplier to repair
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Yarm
Joined Oct 2011
18 Posts
Anyone tried with a 6s motor? The smallest 6s on HK is 200g. I was thinking of putting a 1300 6s in to increase efficiency plus I already have lots of 3s 1300 batteries
nibnob is offline Find More Posts by nibnob
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:25 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Thanks for the report, it prety much confirms what most of the folks here on the groups have said, the HK models are cheap, make ok sport planes but for 3D they just havent got it yet.

Dennis
I think you may want to rethink that statement... I have done videos on the dominatrix and the new slick... I'll post them if you want to see them... But I can tell you... They are formidable 3d planes. Go watch the videos... They have others that really don't show the 3d prowess, but mine show the full flight envelope. I can assure you I have flown about every model from all the leading 3d companies. They are really great planes.

As for this edge, One was just sent to me, it is being built right now. I will have it back in a few days and will do the video shortly after.
mtwargo is online now Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,635 Posts
Chances are that most all planes in any one category are at least similar no matter what's printed on the box. Sometimes they get it right and sometimes not. I am truly interested in these HK offerings and will be staying tuned for updates. I could afford the most expensive of models but am a chintzy old dood so any time I can score cheap, I am jazzed.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,355 Posts
I have video of the edge from today, and on the first flight, the esc went out and it went down pretty hard and took out the gear... Good news was they forgot to send an esc, and vince put in an eFlight 70 amp. It was smoking when I got to it... I have a video, but I never got to hovering, harrier rolls or anything... I probably shouldn't post until I make repairs and get more footage...
mtwargo is online now Find More Posts by mtwargo