Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:51 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,118 Posts
Discussion
Teaching Camille how to Fly FPV.

FAM-1

Our daughter is 7. I am teaching her to fly FPV. I intend to document her progress here. By the end of her training, she should be able to control the airplane through out the entire flight of at least 5 minutes and land without any physical or verbal assistance.

Here's video of her brother who "solo'd" after 7 flights when he was 7, almost 4 years ago now:
Tom's Solo (2 min 51 sec)

Hopefully it helps someone.

Here's the plane. It has a FMA Co-Pilot (Classic CPD-4):
Super Simple FPV Easystar (2 min 27 sec)

Standard:
Accept and execute instructions to turn the plane left and right..."a little"..."a lot"...

Pre-flight

I let her old the transmitter. I showed her the controls. For this flight, she was to manipulate only the rudder. I showed her how much to displace the sticks..."A little" is about 1/3 stick deflection. "A lot" is about 2/3 deflection. "A lot, lot" is FULL deflection. "Let Go" or "Center" means center stick.
I fit the goggles on her. Sat her down. Handed her the controls to ensure that she felt familiar with them.

Then I gave her those commands "Right a little"...watched her little fingers deflect the controls..."Left a little"..."Lot Left"..."Center"...I drilled her for a few minutes until I knew she would deflect the sticks appropriately given verbal instruction...I kept emphasizing that for now, she would only turn the plane and nothing else. Assured that she would reasonably do so, we were ready to fly.

Flight

I did the pre-flight checks including setting the Co-pilot. When she said she was ready, I took the controls and chucked the plane into the sky, trimmed it out, up high. I asked her if she had good video. She looked around a bit then asked for the controls. I set the RC Tx down on her lap, where she had it earlier. He manipulated only the rudder. As drilled, she deflected the sticks as appropriate. I "drove" her around the pattern for about 10 minutes. She did pretty well. All I wanted to see is that she would not over-control the plane. At the end of those 10 minutes, I could trust her enough to follow instructions that I was just standing behind her. As predicted, she got tired quickly and asked for me to take controls. I took the controls. She gave the goggles to her brother. I handed him the controls...then he flew out the rest of the battery.

Post Flight

We wend over the voice command while she held the controls once more before we left. Once we arrived home, I showed her the video. I pointed out landmarks around us.

Next Flight

For the next flight, her goal is to be able to accept "go-to" commands. Instead of responding to turn instructions...she should be able to accept "fly to Sea World"...or "Fly towards the water" or "Fly towards the mountains"...and the all important "FLY BACK TOWARDS THE FIELD".

She had a blast. It will be good to have two "co-pilots"
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Nov 13, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:57 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,565 Posts
Nice! Love what you are doing with the kids!

Wish I had had a parent like you when I was younger.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:06 PM
Destructive testing expert!
Bemidji, MN
Joined Dec 2003
900 Posts
Very cool!

Do you have an OSD in the plane?

Just curious if you have an "arrow" to follow home.
Bill Sanford is offline Find More Posts by Bill Sanford
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:36 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,174 Posts
Great Work!

I look forward to following along with you teaching your daughter to fly FPV, just like you taught your son...

Are you sure that was almost 4 years ago? Seems like yesterday.

Keep up the great work!

Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:48 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,831 Posts
I don't know about your kids, but I have learnt a lot from you and your FPV projects.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sanford View Post
Very cool!

No arrow home. I teach visual navigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
Nice! Love what you are doing with the kids!

Wish I had had a parent like you when I was younger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sanford View Post
Very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhines View Post
Great Work!

I look forward to following along with you teaching your daughter to fly FPV, just like you taught your son...

Are you sure that was almost 4 years ago? Seems like yesterday.

Keep up the great work!

Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypopa View Post
I don't know about your kids, but I have learnt a lot from you and your FPV projects.
Thanks. I think teaching is a huge part of this hobby...Hopefully it helps folks out...
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Nov 15, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:54 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,118 Posts
FAM 2 Basic NAV

On her previous flight she learned basic control of the aircraft.

On this flight, she learned basic navigation.

Standard- Be able to "go places" as directed...a step up to just responding to turn commands.

Pre-Flight- I drilled her on turning "left/right, "a little/a lot" just to make sure she did not forget. As well, she was told not to manipulate anything else. On this flight, I would "show her around", once airborne. I would ask her to "drive the plane" towards the checkpoints.

Flight- I did the pre-flight checks including setting the Co-pilot. When she said she was ready, I took the controls and chucked the plane into the sky, trimmed it out, up high. I asked her if she had good video. She looked around a bit then asked for the controls. I set the RC Tx down on her lap, where she had it earlier. He manipulated only the rudder. As drilled, she deflected the sticks as appropriate. I "drove her around" a bit with turn commands, while I looked at my MPVR on the base station to see what she was seeing. I pointed out four major landmarks each signifying N, S, E, & W. Once she recognized those landmarks, I then gave her "fly to the city"...Then she would decide on her own which direction to turn. I wanted to see if she actually recognized things on the ground from the sky. First I would give her instructions from one landmark to the adjacent landmark...Later in the flight, I would give her commands randomly...which she remarkably was able to execute without error. Unfortunately, we hadn't tightened up the goggle straps. Her "co-pilot" brother Thomas helped quite a bit. She flew for about 10 minutes. She said she was tired. I took the RC Tx. Flew visually. She transferred the goggles to my son's friend...I handed him the controls...He got about 10 minutes of instruction...then swapped off to Tom who flew a bit then landed.

In this video, you see the "training set-up" She has the goggles. I have the Base station where I monitor what she sees. Thomas acts as the alternate spotter...very important when I transitioning between "outside" and "inside" scan. The RC Tx is within reach. Of course the airplane is more than a couple of mistakes high...

Teaching Camille How to Fly FPV with an Easystar. (0 min 33 sec)

Another good day.

Post-Flight- Once we got home, I showed her the video. She called out the land marks. She was tired.

Next Flight- I'm introducing her to changing altitude. I will teach her to do so via the throttle. Depending on how she does, I may get her to recover from "unusual attitudes". As well, we will review basic Control and NAV that she learned during her FAM 1 & 2.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:25 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
On this flight, she learned basic navigation.
...As well, we will review basic Control and NAV that she learned during her FAM 1 & 2.
JBB, Excellent work!

I assume "NAV" means navigation?

But I have no idea re: "FAM" ... What is "FAM"?

BTW, Nice Shirt!

It's really great to see Thomas also helping Camille... great teamwork.

Thanks,

Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:29 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhines View Post
JBB, Excellent work!

I assume "NAV" means navigation?

But I have no idea re: "FAM" ... What is "FAM"?

BTW, Nice Shirt!

It's really great to see Thomas also helping Camille... great teamwork.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin,

Thanks! We try to get the entire family into it...MrsSqrl is the videographer, I might add...She has flown a few times but has taken a "sabatical" after we landed the plane into the North Sea two years ago...lols...

Indeed...NAV = Navigation.

FAM...Familiarization Flights...emphasizing stick and rudder skills...

I'll tell MrsSqrl, you liked the shirt...She makes & sells them...I get the "betas"....lols...it's another "science project"...lols.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:15 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Absolutely fabulous. Thanks for sharing and caring.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:27 AM
Addicted to FPV
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2005
172 Posts
Awesome.... Im teaching my son FPV also. He already knows how to fly and is a little older but I enjoy every minute of it. It also helps me justify spending on FPV with the wife....
dblnaknak is offline Find More Posts by dblnaknak
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,006 Posts
My daughter is only 3 months only, but she has been getting her daily sim practice since she could hold her head up at 3 weeks

I can't wait to get to where you are... I only hope she shows some interest! I've got a GWS cub kit waiting for her when she is ready, and I'm going to hack a tiny Parkzone RTF radio into a mini buddy box for her
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:11 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,092 Posts
Thats really good to see, and what procedures your going through to ease her into it at her own pace. Nice one
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:21 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
You have very smart kids. Lucky to have a dad who teaches them cool things.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Last edited by etman; Jan 23, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,972 Posts
I had a great childhood, but nobody taught me how to fly. I had to learn that on my own.

My father did help me with my first airplane but he insisted that I build the second all by myself. I did and never got tired of it. Twenty years later I was pretty good at it. BTW that first plane was sixty-eight years ago!

I wish I was a kid again, but I'm afraid I'd turn out exactly like I did the last time! I had a hard time listening to anyone.

Best if luck with all the lessons and keep telling us about them. I hope you can get your wife off her sabbatical. Now that your son is older does he still fly? and if so, On his own?

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Nov 16, 2010 at 09:31 PM.