Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:06 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy View Post
WOW! You remember the 70's?? HA!

Well ........ sort of.......... bits and ............. pieces here ..........and...........THERE!

frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:35 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
like Woodstock...if you remember it, you weren't there. Ah the 70's....moved here in '70. From a town of 45,000 in IN toa "town" of 200 and the whole HS had 400 students-75 in the grad class....and it was more or less run by Mormons. I didn't fit in and it wasn't the most fun I've ever had. Partying with bikers and having them show up at school was. Didn't make me fit in any better, but it sure stopped the taunts in a BIG hurry.
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Last edited by Air Vaca; Nov 25, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:49 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
like Woodstock...if you remember it, you weren't there. Ah the 70's....moved here in '70. From a town of 45,000 in IN toa "town" of 200 and the whole HS had 400 students-75 in the grad class....and it was more or less run by Mormons. I didn't fit in and it wasn't the most fun I've ever had. Partying with bikers and having them show up at school was. Didn't make me fit in any better, but it sure stopped the taunts in a BIG hurry.
Well I remember Woodstock, I live there however not the one you are talking about. Those were the Hippy days, bell bottoms etc.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:06 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
If I look real hard, I might be able to find my Madras plaid and a Nehru jackets. I dunno...you pick the emoticon
yeah, bell bottoms. We were doing military. Field jackets. ...and blue jeans. boot cut. The big bells snag barbed wire too easily. And we have some nasties that will shred any clothing and s a lot that will tear mortal materials. Field jackets are almost bulletproof for here.
Last edited by Air Vaca; Nov 25, 2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:29 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
If I may make a submission to this learned assemblage...

I wish to present proof-positive that Ryan was NOT flying that helicopter. Consider these three facts as proof of Ryan's innocence.

A) The heli in question was full body. Ryan has owned, flown and vastly modified a CX3. He will never fly full body again.

B) Ryan is not crazy enough to try a stunt like that While he has tried many stunts in the past, this one is beyond his horizon of significance.

C) The video show no evidence of a basketball hoop being present. Ryan has a preference for close bonding moments with basketball hoops.

Based on the above evidence, I wish to suggest that Ryan be found not guilty of piloting this particular aircraft and causing its untimely demise.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:54 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebee View Post
If I may make a submission to this learned assemblage...

I wish to present proof-positive that Ryan was NOT flying that helicopter. Consider these three facts as proof of Ryan's innocence.

A) The heli in question was full body. Ryan has owned, flown and vastly modified a CX3. He will never fly full body again.

B) Ryan is not crazy enough to try a stunt like that While he has tried many stunts in the past, this one is beyond his horizon of significance.

C) The video show no evidence of a basketball hoop being present. Ryan has a preference for close bonding moments with basketball hoops.

Based on the above evidence, I wish to suggest that Ryan be found not guilty of piloting this particular aircraft and causing its untimely demise.
Based on these "facts", how does the defendant plead, guilty or not guilty?

Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:20 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
he wasn't piloting it...neither of his hands were touching either of the sticks at the time of the crash
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:25 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,810 Posts
to those heli guys on here

what do you think of this?

What kind of thrust - weight ratio should be expected with a BL Genius?

My conversion which consists of

10A LT ESC
C05M/ADH50
8 tooth pinion
using hyperion 240 lipo

total with lipo weights in at 39 grams.

with a somewhat crude test, it seems that in 100% throttle is creating about 69 grams of thrust, not sure how important this is when compared to throttle/pitch curves, but just curious as to what kind of power I should expect.

Haven't flown on 8 tooth pinion yet
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:29 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
from my understanding of outrunners. They like to be run at near full throttle. So, it would seem an outrunner would be ideal for CP helis.
Your calculations sound right. My say so is worth zero, though. But, that sounds like numbers I've heard thrown around. I have nothing to back it up. 2:1 seems like good numbers to me.
I guess we'll see when you get it put together. Another thing is tail blow out. You can only push the stock motor so far. Even using better t/r's you can overpower the tail.
I have an old AEO 4.6 gm motor. It never ran properly and I never pursued the cause...whether it be the motor or esc/converter. I still wanna try an HP03t. At 8,000kv, it sounds like a perfect fit. I don't think I'll be doing "tic-tacs" [hehehe. I saw that in another thread.] with it, but should be OK for power compared to stock. Ya think?

regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Nov 25, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:12 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,810 Posts
Thanks Bill

I was hoping a close 2-1 ratio would be good enough.

8000 kv should be good enough lol

I read and commented on the tic tac remark as well

lol

hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
from my understanding of outrunners. They like to be run at near full throttle. So, it would seem an outrunner would be ideal for CP helis.
Your calculations sound right. My say so is worth zero, though. But, that sounds like numbers I've heard thrown around. I have nothing to back it up. 2:1 seems like good numbers to me.
I guess we'll see when you get it put together. Another thing is tail blow out. You can only push the stock motor so far. Even using better t/r's you can overpower the tail.
I have an old AEO 4.6 gm motor. It never ran properly and I never pursued the cause...whether it be the motor or esc/converter. I still wanna try an HP03t. At 8,000kv, it sounds like a perfect fit. I don't think I'll be doing "tic-tacs" [hehehe. I saw that in another thread.] with it, but should be OK for power compared to stock. Ya think?

regards,
Bill
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:07 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Honestly, I think you can get more, easily with the HP05-2. The tail becomes a problem then. And then you start adding weight to keep up with the main and around and around and around we go.

Bob the Pet Alligator sez "Whatcha mean too much power?".
yeah ALLIGATOR. he's been known to bite. He lets up when he hits something...like bone. And he likes kids. It's a little scary. I wonder if he view them as a food item or if he just likes them.
Last edited by Air Vaca; Nov 26, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:19 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,810 Posts
That's a bad as s kitty

Oh

And I plead the 5th lol

"It wasnt me - it was the one armed man"
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:46 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,810 Posts
Today was a good day at the field, cloudy, but me an Glenn got lots of flying done, and Glenn was very gracious and did a lot of filming for me today.

Here is one vid of my F27Q - prob last flight before she retires for the winter.

Lots more vids (of lots of different models/scratch builds) to come soon

PS

Flying my BL genius today was good, lots of power and handled wind well till it decided to dive straight for me - little f'er hit me in the elbow, good thing I was wearing a leather jacket - hurt like a son-of-a-b..ch. Picked it up, no damage, but the one motor screw had flew off; it was failry loose yesterday (threads bad on motor) but i had used blue locktite to hold it in, BUT I guess it wasn't strong enough. Anyways, long story short, I flew it for about 3 min before hitting myself and loosing my screws lol

Good thing it wasn't a 450 - but then again; I'd not be flying that close, STILL - be careful folks.

vid below

F27Q November 27, 2011.wmv (4 min 59 sec)
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:58 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,776 Posts
Nice flying Ryan but hard to follow at times. Good thing I was not the cameraman as I would have lost my balance within a few minutes Ugh!