HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:55 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
If the heli gods smile upon me, the next aircraft will be a TRex 550E. A few things have to happen first. We have been watching the Ontario weather reports from out here on the coast. Sounds like you guys are taking a serious butt whipping with the high temperatures. Guys, don't over do it outside. Remember these aircraft get pretty hot too. I remember when I discovered that the CX3 electronics could overheat in direct 25C morning sun heat. It dropped like a rock.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:04 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
no doubt on the temps; I am mindful of lipo/esc temps

a 550 will be sweet
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:40 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,920 Posts
I have been spending most of my time inoors. I can no longer stand the heat like I used to. Putting central AC in was the best investment a few years back. Glad I did now.
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:22 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
wish I had air conditioning BUT, its pricey on the electricity bills.

Just realized, that the soldering gun I am using, which is an older 140W Weller, has my grand fathers initials on it; he passed 2 weeks before I was born.

This gun is older than me, and still works well.
Plus - I am using my grand fathers solder gun

Did I ever tell you guys, that my grand father was a head carpenter in WW2, whom build Mosquitos planks in Nova Scotia?

true story - they were build out of wood lol
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:25 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
What you could do in the evening and early morning is sit outside and fly your mcx over your head. The wash would supply a cool breeze and keep the bugs away.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:37 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Just realized, that the soldering gun I am using, which is an older 140W Weller, has my grand fathers initials on it; he passed 2 weeks before I was born.
Raz, that must have been quite the moment for you when you realized that. I can imagine you had a few emotions over that one. If it were me, I would look at finding a way to preserve that gun possibly for your grandson. Parts must be a bit scarce by now. I would also keep in mind that soldering guns are better suited for electrical work as opposed to electronic work. The guns have these huge hunking transformers that pump out electro-magnetic interference (EMI) like crazy. EMI can cause havoc with the digital circuits and components used in today's electronics. A soldering iron does not cause EMI issues.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:55 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
John

I should put it aside yes

Technically if belongs to my Dad anyways lol
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:59 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
wish I had air conditioning BUT, its pricey on the electricity bills.Just realized, that the soldering gun I am using, which is an older 140W Weller, has my grand fathers initials on it; he passed 2 weeks before I was born.

This gun is older than me, and still works well.
Plus - I am using my grand fathers solder gun

Did I ever tell you guys, that my grand father was a head carpenter in WW2, whom build Mosquitos planks in Nova Scotia?

true story - they were build out of wood lol
Yes the electricity goes up but in the winter my gas bill goes up. The AC is usually only needed for long periods in July and August. May, June and September it is only needed the odd time. I expect my elextric bill to jump about $40 this month but that is still cheaper than the natural gas bill in December.

Speaking of wooden planes, remember the Spruce Goose?

That iron must be a few years old if grandpa owned it. Nice find!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Hi guys, just dropping in for a minute. The weather here has certainly curtailed my outdoor RC activity. The near 100 degree temeratures are bad enough, but it's really hard to swat mosquitoes and fly a heli at the same time; I need to grow another arm.

I have started to play with RC cars; I have a vintage RC10 and a Traxxas Stampede 4 x 4. RC electronics for cars have certainly changed since I last tried it about 30 years ago. It's a lot more fun now. I'm disappointed by the general lack of posting in the various car forums, here and at other sites. Some other sites I thought would be good for discussing RC cars turned out to be a waste of time, due to excessive paranoia. One site takes over a week to approve your registration and at another, a moderator must approve your posts. Neither are good ways to attract traffic.
Nice to see you here
Hope everything's going well.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:11 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
Yes it's got to be at least 32 Years old if not a little more.

QUOTE=frieslander;18840601]Yes the electricity goes up but in the winter my gas bill goes up. The AC is usually only needed for long periods in July and August. May, June and September it is only needed the odd time. I expect my elextric bill to jump about $40 this month but that is still cheaper than the natural gas bill in December.

Speaking of wooden planes, remember the Spruce Goose?

That iron must be a few years old if grandpa owned it. Nice find![/QUOTE]
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:16 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
How would a soldering gun cause Emi issues if the electronics being soldered are not powered up ?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:22 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,920 Posts
Static Electricity will kill the little circuits.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:26 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
Okay

Aren't static and EMI different?

I thought they were BUT I'm probably wrong lol
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:32 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,495 Posts
Just when you think something is easy
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:52 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,920 Posts
Ryan:

You are right, I was "Frieslandered" again UGH!

Exerpt from Wikipedia:

EMI in integrated circuitsMain article: Electromagnetic compatibility
Integrated circuits are often a source of EMI, but they must usually couple their energy to larger objects such as heatsinks, circuit board planes and cables to radiate significantly.[8]

On integrated circuits, important means of reducing EMI are: the use of bypass or decoupling capacitors on each active device (connected across the power supply, as close to the device as possible), rise time control of high-speed signals using series resistors,[9] and VCC filtering. Shielding is usually a last resort after other techniques have failed, because of the added expense of shielding components such as conductive gaskets.