HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2011, 09:39 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebee View Post
Glad your Stryker is in the air Ryan. Out here, a Stryker isn't properly broken in until it has duct tape on it and little seams where you can see the Gorilla Glue holding it together.
Give him time....It's brand new

I'm curious as to why you need the signal wattage of your TX. Tried doing some research for you but, didn't really know what the heck I was looking for with all the tech data
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:11 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,165 Posts
Lol

I hope it stays as is for a while

It is fun, fun, fun

I need to adapter some different connectors for lipos though which I am sure will be PITA

I should've bought some deans connectors
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:30 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
Don't you just solder those into place?

Hey Ryan, I was just cruising around RCG and came upon this vid. Pretty funny. This would be me

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=13

But...it flys 100 miles an hour....lol
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:12 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,165 Posts
Lol

That vid is funny yes lol
Old Jun 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Don't you just solder those into place?
I concur. Ryan, if you want Dean's connectors, solder them on.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:14 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,165 Posts
where is a good place to order deans plugs?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:20 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,165 Posts
i found these

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=GHPULTRAB

or

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ultra-T-Plug-Conn...item231179c4de

or

http://cgi.ebay.ca/20-Pairs-Deans-T-...item484086fd26
Last edited by Razors edge 29; Jun 28, 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:08 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
Did some snooping on Deal Extreme. I didn't see the deans (I'm sure they have them) but don't forget the shrink tubing. I know many of you guys like ordering from China as it is less hassle to get from the USA with customs and all.
http://s.dealextreme.com/search/shrink+tubing

Mike.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:24 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,165 Posts
Mike

I actually ordered HS from DX

I also order deans from the last link I posted - they're an off brand so I hope they work.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I'm curious as to why you need the signal wattage of your TX. Tried doing some research for you but, didn't really know what the heck I was looking for with all the tech data
I am interested mainly due to curiousity. There was a time when the FCC (DOT in Canada) required that most if not all unlicensed transmitters kept their signal wattage at 100 mW or less. I understand that one can now transmitted at up to five watts with no license.

I was wondering about our Tx units because they seem to be able to control our aircraft from further away than we can see them. I was wondering if this was still at 100 mW or if the signal strength had increased in recent years.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:49 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I also order deans from the last link I posted - they're an off brand so I hope they work.
I found three things about soldering deans. First, you want a hot iron at about 60 watts. Second, a "third hand" is a very handy thing to have because it can hold things that get very hot very quickly. Third, be sure the shrink wrap is on the wire before you solder the joint.

Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
Ryan, this web site helped me when I started soldering. Most people have the pencil type soldering iron (mine is 40W). For the deans connectors you may want to get a chisel type head and try that or you could just try the pointy one first. BTW, the iron only costs about 12 bucks. As Stumble pointed out, a third hand makes life easy And they cost around 10/18 bucks. I got a cheapo Durk pointed to me at DX. I know you'll find this interesting and helpful.
http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm
Old Jul 01, 2011, 01:13 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,165 Posts
yes i do need a chisel head

I need to get a good iron - perhaps a weller

I go through tips like crazy - this new 60W one the tip disintegrated in no time even when tinning and wiping on sponge.

For example, I turn iron on, let it head up, prep joints, tin tip, solder joints, and as I am preparing to do the next joint - after wiping on sponge and tinning, I look back at iron and the tip is disintegrating?

Like W T F is going on here?

I bought some deans plugs today - good ones, and managed to change on ESC for stryker and change over 4 lipos, BUT the last ones were a real pain as tip was basically broken and now might not be great joints - time will tell I guess.

Perhaps i need a gun, that heads up high very quick

overal though, deans are easier to solder than the other connectors such as XT60 - like those hobbyking uses.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:06 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
I would hold off on going to a soldering gun. A gun uses a hunking huge transformer in order to work. That transformer produces EMI (electromagnetic interference). In some cases (not all), that EMI can cause problems with digital circuitry. A soldering iron does not have the issue with EMI because it does not use a transformer.

I am surprised that you are having such short life with your tips. I suspect that normally a tip would last at least several months when used the way we use them in this hobby which is sporadically.

If you want a "ghetto rig" alternative to going out and buying a "third hand", you can try using wooden clothes pins.
Last edited by Stumblebee; Jul 01, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:31 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebee View Post

If you want a "ghetto rig" alternative to going out and buying a "third hand", you can try using wooden clothes pins.
Great idea!!! To add to this idea. A short piece of 1X4 pine, some 12/14Gauge copper wire and drill some pilot holes into the pine board, stick the wire in and tape the clothes pins on the end. Dang, I could have saved me some buck-a-roos.