HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:42 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
It has been raining and snowing here for what seems like weeks. This morning it was snowing yet again!!!! Finally, I broke down and did what any self-respecting heli pilot would do. I went to the LHS. There, I allowed myself to get a One-two sucker punch. First I was asked if I had seen the the new EFilte MQX, I hadn't. Just happened that they had a demo model right there in the store. They flew it around a little bit. I liked the way it handled. Next thing I knew, I had this radio in my hand and the MQX sitting there in front of me with a fresh lipo. I had never flown a quad before. Before I knew it, this thing is in the air. I'm flying it around the LHS, I'm liking it. I'm really, really liking it. It flew smooth. It flew quiet. It flew stable. It just kept on flying.

Next thing I knew, I was buying a BNF version of the MQX along with an extra lipo. I got it home and set it up on the DX7. Set up was a breeze. Picked a blank setting and set everything to stock dumb airplane. I now have a new indoor flyer that is something different. I like this thing. After buying the MCPx, I decided to stay away from eFlight. Now I have changed my mind.

There are no servos, no push rods, no swash plates, no torque tubes, no built-in eFlite bad attitude. The MQX is nice for flying indoors. Haven't taken outside at all. My maiden flight was about 14 minutes long in the living room.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:21 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,787 Posts
John

Great minds think a like; I also bought one today. Although I haven't flown mine yet but am eager to do so. Hopefully my tomorrow night.

Remind me tomorrow to send you a link to some Hyperion lipos, 550 25C which really bring the MQX to life i have heard.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
I have a few indoor flights on this MQX. Looks like you get a solid ten minutes on the stock lipos. It gets unstable after ten minutes. This thing is awfully addictive. It can fly nicely in the tight quarters of both my living room and rec room. According to videos, it looks to be very capable in "big air" as long as there isn't a lot of wind. You will definitely want more than one lipo.

Yup, I crashed it a couple of times. Absolutely zero damage. My LHS paased on that in less than 24 hours, he had sold out his entire inventory of 10 MQX units. Apparently I bought the last one today. Based on the messages I've read, this one may be a winner for eFlite.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:43 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Weather's been great here...too bad all my stuff is packed away...again. My shop turned to living quarters.
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:45 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,524 Posts
You guys seem to like this thing,,, I might have to get one...
livonia bob is online now Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,787 Posts
Bob have you not been following the threads/reviews? It is the cats as s apparently.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Bob have you not been following the threads/reviews? It is the cats as s apparently.

Not really,,, but from the little I have been everyone seems to be having a ball with them.. I got a gift card for my LHS for Xmas so I might stop by and see if they have one in stock.. Looks like it might make a nice 808 camera platform??
livonia bob is online now Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,787 Posts
Yeah; my cam is a USB stick type; so I'll have to be inventive to make it fit
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
Looks like another day with the MQX and sim for me. Just checked the Weather Network and there is a 90% chance of rain all day. Stepped outside and you, its raining. One day I'll actually be able to fly my 550e again...one day. Why is it that the weather seems to only be decent when you have something else to do besides fly? Oh well, at least I was flying on Christmas Eve and Christmas day!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
Here is this morning's forecast where I live. It is going to be a glorious indoor day with quad and sim.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/hou.../hourlygraph/1

One thing I noticed with the comments regarding the MQX, they don't seem to have the same zealot-like intensity that follows the introduction of other eFlite products. Remember the fervor surrounding the MCPx and the SR-120? Who can forget the CX-3? That was quickly followed by hundreds of comments regarding how to make them actually work and how scarce parts were to find. I think with the MQX, a lot of comments are being written by folks with a bit more experience and folks who have laid down their own money.

Of course I would never imply that eFlite /Horizons would ever use "shills". I beleived each and every word of Mark Padilla's videos.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:24 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,787 Posts
lol John you're too funny lol

So- I've flown this thing a few times indoors, and I am not impressed at all. I find it very boring and it flies like crap. Quite simply this thing sucks.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!1

lol

Fooled ya.

Its awesome; very stable and I can see why its soo addictive. I can't wait to let ut loose outdoors - perhaps tomorrow if weather permits. John,, I am using D/R

low

60 travel - 25 expo

and high 100 travel - 20 expo. Plus, set travel adjustment to 125% (max) to increase agility. This thing will move very well I think once on high rates, a little hard to handle indoors lol.

I had to buy the RTF as no BNF's left, so I am selling the TX if anyone reading is intereted.

Also, I already made a camera fuse for mine already lol

Used a spray paint can lid, and mounted turnigy stick cam from top down. Whole set up adds 27 grams, and the stock config lifts it no problem.

pretty impressive, but this is heavy and I'll have to find a lighter solution, some ppl are using mcd's sundae lids which is a good idea.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:35 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,787 Posts
you guys see this?

http://www.arbitragemagazine.com/gen...1-man2-space3/
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
Last night I got particularly brave. It has been a few weeks since I have had a bird in the air outside thanks to rain and snow. Yesterday evening I broke down and took the MQX outside. There was light rain and a mild wind. I decided to go for it anyway

I was impressed. The MQX handled itsef in the light wind better than my small helis have ever done. It is a VERY stable aircraft. The light rain had no effect on it whatsoever. Unfortunately it was dark which meant that I could barely see the MQX most of the time. Still, I had fun.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:48 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,787 Posts
I have yet to fly mine outdoors; its been raining here too

hopefully today I can get it out side.

I also just finished building a profile 40" Yak 55 from owens pink foam from Home Depot using parkzone T28 electronics

wanna try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebee View Post
Last night I got particularly brave. It has been a few weeks since I have had a bird in the air outside thanks to rain and snow. Yesterday evening I broke down and took the MQX outside. There was light rain and a mild wind. I decided to go for it anyway

I was impressed. The MQX handled itsef in the light wind better than my small helis have ever done. It is a VERY stable aircraft. The light rain had no effect on it whatsoever. Unfortunately it was dark which meant that I could barely see the MQX most of the time. Still, I had fun.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:38 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Sunny tomorrow Ryan, a little cooler though. The new motor is going in my 40" wing as I write. Let me know if you want to go.

Glen
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1