HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:16 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebee View Post
I just did that. A very interesting little community. It looks very vibrant in its own little way. I just got to ask... How come the local barber has a website but your internet provider doesn't? I see you guys have a volunteer fire department like many places but there was no mention of a police department. Is there a sheriff or anything like that?
It's an interesting place to live. A lot of free thinkers here, mixed in with a healthy amount of conservative.
No police dept...we've got the Sheriff and a ton of DHS people [mostly Border Patrol]. They don't live in town...that would not be too smart. We had "frontier justice" up to a few years age and it worked fine. Our internet provider does have a site...www.arivaca.com, sort of. We just call him on the phone. Half the price of Wild Blue and way better speed.

Ghosts and tumble weeds...
we have several towns around here for the ghosts... Ruby, Cerro Colorado.... and if you want to see tumbleweeds, just south of Tuscon, I have hit some that were as big as my car. It's kind of cool, they almost explode. Oh, by the way, did you know the tumbleweed is more properly known as the Russian Thistle? On wind days, the dust swirls in an eerily classic way that you see in the movies.

Any of you see "Cowboys and Aliens"? That is set around here and Arivaca is even mentioned.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is online now Find More Posts by Air Vaca
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:07 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,431 Posts
looks like a nice town to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
It's an interesting place to live. A lot of free thinkers here, mixed in with a healthy amount of conservative.
No police dept...we've got the Sheriff and a ton of DHS people [mostly Border Patrol]. They don't live in town...that would not be too smart. We had "frontier justice" up to a few years age and it worked fine. Our internet provider does have a site...www.arivaca.com, sort of. We just call him on the phone. Half the price of Wild Blue and way better speed.

Ghosts and tumble weeds...
we have several towns around here for the ghosts... Ruby, Cerro Colorado.... and if you want to see tumbleweeds, just south of Tuscon, I have hit some that were as big as my car. It's kind of cool, they almost explode. Oh, by the way, did you know the tumbleweed is more properly known as the Russian Thistle? On wind days, the dust swirls in an eerily classic way that you see in the movies.

Any of you see "Cowboys and Aliens"? That is set around here and Arivaca is even mentioned.

regards,
Bill
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:23 AM
In my Prayers
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
looks like a nice town to live in.
Yeah,,,...All four houses, a mountain, a tree with a bird in it Not to mention a website with "absolutely" no information on it....What's up with that Bill?? Traffic must be a real bi**tch getting to work eh

Here is our internet provider:
http://www.comcast.com/default.cspx?...iq_id=38715485
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Dec 23, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:56 AM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Not to mention a website with "absolutely" no information on it....What's up with that Bill??
I would not be surprised if this was one of those communities that is doing everything it can NOT to be "discovered". They have their own thing going for them and it works in its own way. They are probably very happy with it. I suspect the last thing they want is a wave of "urbanization" with shopping malls, condos and highways. Big city toys bring big city problems.

Every since Ms. Gifford and others got shot by that "nut bar", I have listened to one of the talk radio stations out of Tucson. When I do get a chance to listen, it is very clear that area is very conservative territory. So do they have that "nut bar" locked up in a tiny little room somewhere for permanent psycho evaluation or will they go ahead with a trial and just execute him?
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:57 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,431 Posts
nothing wrong with small towns
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
who knows with that one...
In "town" there are very limited locations for homes. You run into problems with the "perc tests" and bedrock. There's 1/2 acre next to our house that no one can do anything with.
...and this town gets a lot of bad press. It's not as bad as made out to be, but I embrace the reputation. Seems like if anything bad happens within 40miles of here, it "happened" here.
When I was working at the store, people would say how nice it is.... I always commented, "...and it will still be nice, when you come back". Especially those maniacs from CA
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,431 Posts
I'd live there just to watch the ufos

Did you see the pheonix lights!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:25 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
nope.
we do get to see the Air Force doing night dog fight practice, though.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:05 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,431 Posts
Awesome

F35, F22 or F18 ?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:24 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
dunno, it's dark
during the day it's very tough to spot them because they are sooo noisy that you can't get a bearing on it

I think this happened last year

and this is what happens as a result of a few inches precip over the winter

caught this on 4lb test while fishing for bluegill at Arivaca Lake [perennial water hole] good, GOOD bass fishing. Total catch and release on them. They will try to eat a 10inch bluegill, I have seen it happen. Bt, I caught this gal on a power bait micro maggot....go figure the whole bait is 1/4in long!

regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Dec 23, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:10 PM
In my Prayers
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,354 Posts
Quote:
Awesome

F35, F22 or F18 ?
A-10's (Thunderbolt). 355th Fighter Wing

I love small towns too.

Merry Christmas All,

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:39 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,431 Posts
Tank Busters

one of my fav's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
A-10's (Thunderbolt). 355th Fighter Wing

I love small towns too.

Merry Christmas All,

Mike.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:40 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,431 Posts
Tis a big bass

[QUOTE=Air Vaca;20217304]dunno, it's dark
during the day it's very tough to spot them because they are sooo noisy that you can't get a bearing on it
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:05 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,431 Posts
check this new metal material out - very light

http://wardsauto.com/ar/0223lg_Micro_Lattice_material/
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:33 AM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,076 Posts
Quote:
check this new metal material out - very light

http://wardsauto.com/ar/0223lg_Micro_Lattice_material/
Hmmm...definitely something to watch for in the future. Raz, I came across this site last night and thought it may have somethings you may be interested in. Check it out...

http://www.shoutcast.com/radio/Talk
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee