HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:58 PM
Joined Jan 2010
33 Posts
Discussion
Diesel tuining to prop size changes

Hello all

I am nearly finished building a Free Flight model which the plan says fits a 1 -1.5cc motor, however I am about to put a 2.5 cc diesel on board. I have converted the plane to three chanell being rudder elevator and fuel cut off.

I intended to go from a standard 9 X 6 prop to a 10 X 5 with the intention to wind out the compression lever and richen the fuel up to depower the operation to better suit the plane.

However, after bench testing, I discovered that compression lever change could only accommodate about 1/8 of a turn however needle valve went out almost two ful turns.

Question for the diesel experts.

1)For the same compression lever setting but with a prop change from 9*6 to 10*5, would the engine be actually going slower given the bigger prop?

2) If the engine revs are the same (ie same compression setting but different props) what would the effect on the plane be in the air?

Thanks
George
George O is offline Find More Posts by George O
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:37 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,801 Posts
George, you would need to know the rpm difference between the two props at optimum fuel and compression settings for each. The settings for the 9x6 and 10x5 should be the same unless they are different brands with different load factors.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:40 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
1) a 9x6 or 10x5 propeller yield approximately the same RPMs. Now because the 10x5 is larger if it has wider blades or a different shape it may result in a little RPM loss, but nothing to really get excited about.

2) It really depends on the airplane and how much aerodynamic drag it has. Thus different airplanes may result in one prop or the other being faster per se.
Now removing the plane from the figures, results in the 9x6 prop being faster as the extra prop pitch would result in a faster speed.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:54 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,202 Posts
With a big prop, wanting to go slow, the trick is to run low compression and rich fuel. Adjust low compression to when the engine misses, but keeps running. Rich fuel will keep the engine running at lower compression.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson