HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:51 PM
Electric Vehicle Enthusiast
United States, MO, Worth
Joined Jul 2010
274 Posts
Idea
Anyone built something like this on RCG? (Manta aircraft)

Hello, I found an interesting airplane plan and thought I would share it.
http://theplanpage.com/Months/2806/Manta.htm
I really am quite awestruck by the shape of this craft, it is quite beautiful in my eyes, but I have only found one thread here which is in the foamy section and it does not have a build log or anything of the sort, a few concept pictures but nothing more.
I am considering building this, however I do not have the balsa right now, my local lumberyard (45 miles away) only has a few bits of 10 year old wood that I would probably would only be able to half the plane with.
I like the wing design because it would allow for all of the batteries to be in the wing, thinking about a two cell 2650mAh in each wing wired in series through a Y connector, it's a big plane (48 inches), and this would give it good flight times at fairly high speeds. The fuselage would have to be completely re-designed to make it RC as the original plan is for a free-flight stick fuselage.
If anyone has any advice on this aircraft or would like to build one as well, chime in!
-Don
Mr.EV is offline Find More Posts by Mr.EV
Last edited by Mr.EV; Jan 17, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:40 PM
Joined Dec 2004
269 Posts
I'd suggest you post this in the vintage and old timer forum. IIRC, there were a few members discussing it at one time but I don't know if anybody started to build it.

Regards,

Sven
harveyweewax is offline Find More Posts by harveyweewax
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:22 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,296 Posts
Don, that's certainly a different and interesting model. Paul Plecan did some very cool designs. The Manta has been on my "must build" list for a long time, but I have the old problem of not enough hours in the day.

There's some information in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065182

The original was a glider, as were the versions discussed there (intended for slope soaring). Conversion to electric power shouldn't be too hard. A 48" span is not "big", and it should be possible to have a ready-to-fly weight of not much more than a couple of pounds or so. You wouldn't need anything like the 4S 2650 mAh battery you mentioned. Maybe something like an AXI 2217/20 and a 3S 1800 mAh.

The stick-type fuselage could easily be retained - perhaps a carbon fiber tube, with balsa to give it some shape.

I hope you decide to go ahead with this. You've reawakened my interest in it, and have moved the Manta a bit closer towards the top of The Pile.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:12 AM
United States, MO, Worth
Joined Jul 2010
274 Posts
Thanks for the link to the old build thread, it's sad that this beautiful plane has not had as much attention as most regular aircraft have, it's such a unique design.
As far as batteries go, I am sure I could get away with a 3 cell 1800mAh, I fly two other planes using those, but I like to "overbuild" my projects, The two planes I currently fly are very conservative conventional designs, flat straight 36 inch wingspan, but I just figured I would make this a larger and faster craft using the 4 cell setup and a large inrunner 2300Kv motor with a 7X6 prop. I want to use one battery in each side of the wing or I could go with a single battery in the middle, Either way is fine with me.
The construction will not take place until a while after Christmas I don't think, I need some more cash to re-supply my electronics and balsa needs
-Don
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:13 PM
United States, MO, Worth
Joined Jul 2010
274 Posts
Looks like the construction schedule got moved up, grabbed some balsa to start on it hopefully this thanksgiving break.
-Don
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:24 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,296 Posts
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:08 PM
United States, MO, Worth
Joined Jul 2010
274 Posts
Arg, too much company over the holiday to get anything done, other than crash three of my planes in two days....
Even more reason to build a new one...
Maybe I can start this weekend, oh, wait, I have Choir going on all that weekend, how about the next, maybe, if something else doesn't arise.......
-Don
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:43 PM
United States, MO, Worth
Joined Jul 2010
274 Posts
Okay, finally got some of this aircraft done in the past couple of weeks, the wing is now almost complete.
The system is running two 2S1P 1800mAh packs wired in series for 4 cell voltage, a 2300KV inrunner fitted with an APC 7x6 prop and a 40 amp ESC.

I still need to design the fuselage and build it, but it's pretty well 2/3rds done.

-Don
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:06 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
wow... good work...
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:20 PM
United States, MO, Worth
Joined Jul 2010
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
wow... good work...
Thanks!

-Don
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:44 PM
Terry Harner AREA-52
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined May 2007
593 Posts
The Manta rocks. I can most likely answer any questions you may have. We have built and flown the glow version in combat, and a PSS glider.
The End is offline Find More Posts by The End