HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:52 AM
I think my wheels fell off.
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
Oh c'mon, was he holding the soldering iron, buying you parts, sketching the schematic? No? Well in that case the big spaghetti monster has nothing to do with it all, it is just you who can take the full credit.

Cheers,

Sander.
Amen to that!
Thumb_number is offline Find More Posts by Thumb_number
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:24 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
Oh c'mon, was he holding the soldering iron, buying you parts, sketching the schematic? No? Well in that case the big spaghetti monster has nothing to do with it all, it is just you who can take the full credit.

Cheers,

Sander.
Respectfully Sander, I can't. Last I checked, I didn't choose my genetics. Not everyone is blessed with the gift of intelligence. The chances of this coming together were more or less slim to none. Many times I hit stumbling blocks and frustration and was ready to just give up. Call it luck if you like. Debate with me all you want on that point. But first, explain how a World can come into existence despite the law of entropy (second law of thermodynamics), then we'll talk.

Anyway, you can see where I devote my life by my tag line. If I didn't I'd just be some arrogant jerk with a big ego. It reminds me not to let my ego get the better of me. And let's face it, most of us here could use a little humility. It's nothing more than a single post in a tutorial giving thanks where I feel it is due.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:42 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
I'm not what you would call a believer but you are a blessing Alex. Thanks for all your hard work.

Now if you would just have them mass produced so I could Add to Cart.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:18 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Cool Alex, I think I might build one. I have played with the 555 timer chips before. I once made a pulse timer for a car fridge to run the compressor.

At least 2.4ghz is a little smaller .

Just gotta find the time .

Thanks

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:36 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
IBCrazy, with a GPS based AT the antenna is tracking a point in space. With your RSSI AT it is tracking the difference in RSSI of the 2 RX's. Have you tested what effects other TX's in the area will have on the accuracy. For example Cell Tower, other RC Tx's near the GS?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:02 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
IBCrazy, with a GPS based AT the antenna is tracking a point in space. With your RSSI AT it is tracking the difference in RSSI of the 2 RX's. Have you tested what effects other TX's in the area will have on the accuracy. For example Cell Tower, other RC Tx's near the GS?
Yes, in fact I have. Admittedly I am thoroughly astonished at how well these RX units reject out of band noise. I put my cell phone right up against one of the tracking antennas and it still stayed locked on target. I will try one of my 1.3 GHz TX units on this and see if that can throw it off.

The real secret to good tracking is an antenna without sidelobes. I am working on adding a parasitic element to the BiQuad to increase gain and compress the sidelobes and make this thing go even further.

I need a UHF TX. My video feed is now at least double my radio range...

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:06 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Yes, in fact I have. Admittedly I am thoroughly astonished at how well these RX units reject out of band noise. I put my cell phone right up against one of the tracking antennas and it still stayed locked on target. I will try one of my 1.3 GHz TX units on this and see if that can throw it off.

The real secret to good tracking is an antenna without sidelobes. I am working on adding a parasitic element to the BiQuad to increase gain and compress the sidelobes and make this thing go even further.

I need a UHF TX. My video feed is now at least double my radio range...

-Alex
Great work, thank you.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:07 AM
Joined May 2008
657 Posts
Alex
Great job
Will this work with the Lawmate Rx? If so do you happen to know where the RSSI pin is located?
Thanks
markeydoo is offline Find More Posts by markeydoo
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:09 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I'm not what you would call a believer but you are a blessing Alex. Thanks for all your hard work.

Now if you would just have them mass produced so I could Add to Cart.
Thanks, Bracky

If I could ask for anything it would be to be able to be fully rested on 2 hours of sleep. Then I might be able to build these for people.

Unfortunately, I have too many hobbies. Between rock climbing, skiing, mountain biking, model aircraft, and exploring around the country on my vintage motorcycles, I have been cutting out sleep because I'm having too much fun. Heck, I'm going hang gliding tomorrow. Forget FPV

That said, just because I don't have the time doesn't mean nobody else does. If somebody wishes to build and market this, they may do so. Just so long as they give credit where it is due instead of blatantly ripping me off, I will be very happy with it.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:12 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeydoo View Post
Alex
Great job
Will this work with the Lawmate Rx? If so do you happen to know where the RSSI pin is located?
Thanks
Lawmate's use a Comtech RX. It will work great! The RSSI pin is the same as the one in my picture

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:15 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Respectfully Sander, I can't. Last I checked, I didn't choose my genetics. Not everyone is blessed with the gift of intelligence. The chances of this coming together were more or less slim to none. Many times I hit stumbling blocks and frustration and was ready to just give up. Call it luck if you like. Debate with me all you want on that point. But first, explain how a World can come into existence despite the law of entropy (second law of thermodynamics), then we'll talk.
You really don't want to discuss religion with me, honestly ...

Quote:
Anyway, you can see where I devote my life by my tag line. If I didn't I'd just be some arrogant jerk with a big ego. It reminds me not to let my ego get the better of me. And let's face it, most of us here could use a little humility. It's nothing more than a single post in a tutorial giving thanks where I feel it is due.

-Alex
Well, does not believing in (a) God automatically turn you into a jerk with a big ego? I don't think so really. I however respect someone's believes, if you feel you had a helping hand, by all means feel that way. I'll just respect you for the work you've done and credit you for the full 100%, God gets 0 credit in my book.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
That's easy, make lips on the sides of you groundplane, sidelobes will be much better defined.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:49 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
You really don't want to discuss religion with me, honestly ...

Well, does not believing in (a) God automatically turn you into a jerk with a big ego? I don't think so really. I however respect someone's believes, if you feel you had a helping hand, by all means feel that way. I'll just respect you for the work you've done and credit you for the full 100%, God gets 0 credit in my book.

Cheers,

Sander.
Sander, I hate religion, too. In fact, I like to poke fun at it. It gives faith a bad name. People think Christians are bored wimps who spend their time in a boring church service, which is not the case. Try to follow me on a motorcycle, or up a mountain side, or bridge jumping, and tell me you're not scared out of your mind. Then tell me you didn't enjoy every minute of it. Being a man of faith doesn't mean you give up being a man, it means you embrace your life and become the man who is wild at heart, the way we were meant to be.

I do what I do in faith. Religion is man made and brings death. There is a difference. A big difference.

I thank you for respecting my belief, as I respect you for yours. You have shown many times what a helpful, awesome person you can be. I respect you for that and your vast knowledge.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:51 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
That's easy, make lips on the sides of you groundplane, sidelobes will be much better defined.

Cheers,

Sander.
True, but doesn't increase gain. I will need to add some edges to the ground plane for the parasitic BiQuad.

Perhaps I could experiment with my patch antenna. It is certainly easier to build.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:15 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,452 Posts
Well, I for certain know that I'm going to need divine guidance if I'm ever to get one of these to work! And Id like to thank God for Alex and his humility and his willingness to share his gifts. 8^)
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland