HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2011, 06:53 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greennomad View Post
Seems like this is something that could be easily implemented with an Arduino setup as well.

I'd be curious to see what people recommend for 1280MHZ receivers (dcpav has ones for $40 each but there should be alternatives).
oooh a little bit like using a steam hammer to crack a peanut
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:34 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greennomad View Post
Seems like this is something that could be easily implemented with an Arduino setup as well.
I was going down this road with an arduino setup, but I decided to put the ardu mini in a quad instead. I do have the airwave receiver modules for sale if anyone wants them to try it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381706
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:03 AM
Ithaca, NY
Joined Jan 2011
66 Posts
I have Three questions, that I hope someone (or Alex) can answer.

Seems like the bulk of the cost is from the receiver units. Usually these are like $50-$60, but the modules are only $20 at DPCAV. Instead of 3 receivers, or two plus a spare module, can we use one receiver (for the video RX) plus two modules (for the RSSI signal)?

Second question. Is this system lacking at all because it does not have tilt? This seems like it would work well for TX that are further away, but what about up close? Especially if you decide to fly 300 feet up in the air when you're only 200 feet away, how do you adjust your video RX from say a basic omni up close to this antenna tracker when further away?
Fred79 is online now Find More Posts by Fred79
Old Feb 07, 2011, 06:14 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred79 View Post
I have Three questions, that I hope someone (or Alex) can answer.

Seems like the bulk of the cost is from the receiver units. Usually these are like $50-$60, but the modules are only $20 at DPCAV. Instead of 3 receivers, or two plus a spare module, can we use one receiver (for the video RX) plus two modules (for the RSSI signal)?

Second question. Is this system lacking at all because it does not have tilt? This seems like it would work well for TX that are further away, but what about up close? Especially if you decide to fly 300 feet up in the air when you're only 200 feet away, how do you adjust your video RX from say a basic omni up close to this antenna tracker when further away?
You can't use just one RX. The modules have a bit check system that will get confused if you try to tie in two extra modules. You will also overheat the voltage regulator. You can however use 2 RX units and one spare module. That doesn't appear to harm performance.

As far as tilt, I opted to leave it out. Tilt is great if you have a circularly polarized system. Otherwise I recommend not having it at all. When your RX antenna tilts it begins to lose polarization. With the wide beam of the antenna on the RX there really is no need to tilt it much anyway.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:43 PM
1.21 Jigowatts!!!
Joined Mar 2010
50 Posts
Antenna Tracker

Alex
I have started building your antenna tracker. I do not know much about electronics so I have employed the help of one of my local club members to build the board you designed. I have purchased two of the tuner modules form DPC AV now I need some help with putting this altogether.

In an earlier post # 109 page # 8 you mentioned that You need 3 RX modules, not necessarily 3 full receivers. You only need one complete RX and the rest you can use jumper wires to calibrate the modules to the correct frequency. I would appreciate some help in jumping the Tuner modules. I am using 900Mhz for my video.

After reading your last post #154 page #9 I am a bit confused. I thought I was going to use one complete receiver to get the video and the two tuner modules to do the tracking.

I was planning to power the two tuner modules off the 12volt from the board with a voltage regulator to step down the voltage to 5 volts.

I guess what I need to know is how to set this up using the two tuner modules I got from DPC AV

I have attached a Lay out Reference of the tuner modules that can be found at DPC AV web site, if it is not clear enough to read here.
rvrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by rvrcflyer
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:51 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
You need 2 RX units and you can jumper over 1 module as in the pictures. Just jumper line for line in parallel. Use my wiring pictures in my tracker build log (in my blog) to help you out if you need. Here's picture that can help: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3579729

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:28 AM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
Hello again, Sorry to bother you but you know more about antennas than anyone else I know. So I bought 2 patch antennas that were supposedly 900mhz. But he had a mix of 2.4 GHZ gear and 900mhz gear. I want to make sure what these are. Can you help me identify these 2 patch antennas.
They are 2 identical small patch antennas with a standard coaxial cable. Here are pics inside and out.

RChelisrule is offline Find More Posts by RChelisrule
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:01 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Jan 2011
264 Posts
two antenna setup

Is there a way to make use of two or more antennas without needing to have multiple receivers with a diversity controller, or an antenna tracker?
I'm guessing the answer is no, but I have to ask, it would be so nice to have a wraparound biquad antenna setup!
devinvagt is offline Find More Posts by devinvagt
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:03 PM
Fly like never crash as always
Rio de Janeiro
Joined Mar 2007
273 Posts
I am certainly going to give it a try!!! will post results.
tascheri is offline Find More Posts by tascheri
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:45 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
956 Posts
Hi Alex,
Although i see in the first page that FOX and BOB units are out can you please explain why?.
Is the lack of RSSI pin or something else?.
Teo
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:45 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teopbako View Post
Hi Alex,
Although i see in the first page that FOX and BOB units are out can you please explain why?.
Is the lack of RSSI pin or something else?.
Teo
It is that RSSI is not scaled properly on the FOX units. It's not that they don't work at all, they just work very poorly. The tracker might work only at short range, then at long range get completely off track because of poor RSSI resolution. This is something that you want to avoid obviously.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:57 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
956 Posts
Thank you Alex
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:33 AM
Poland
Joined Feb 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
3 standard RX units (or just two and one spare module) [COLOR="Red"][B]SUNSKY and BOB TXs WILL NOT WORK! YOU NEED A STANDARD RX SUCH AS THE ONES FROM ......

I just want to be sure before I start building your tracker...

Is this AV setup (FOX800) compatible with your project?
I know there is an optional RSSI pin inside and the voltages are something like:
- good signal 0V
- bad signal 5V

I can make the converter that will do something like Vout= -1 x RSSI + (5-6)V
so the voltages would be:
-good signal 5V
-bad signal 0V

Thanks in advance for answer
Mieciu is offline Find More Posts by Mieciu
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:17 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
I do not know. The RSSI has to be pretty accurate for it to work properly. It might work and it might not. You need to experiment with your receivers first. Take your RX's with identical antennas aimed at a target transmitter and compare the RSSI's. Then move the transmiteer to another localtion and again take an RSSI reading. Do this in several different locations, a few LOS and others with obstructions and see if the RSSI's are still the same. If they are, then it works.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:02 AM
Joined May 2008
80 Posts
IBC,
Can this be used @ 5.8gHz - multi pathing, types of antenna etc. Would it have to be raised off the ground and how far for it to perform. I've looked at the Airwave based units, no RSSI o/p on the module(AWM660) that is used in the VRx.
Thanks.
locktumbler is offline Find More Posts by locktumbler