HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Discussion
Esky KOB - Is 2.4 GHz worth the extra money?

If I were to buy an Esky KOB (xheli), is it worth the extra $18 to get the 2.4GHz model?

http://www.xheli.com/kob.html

I'm guessing that the MHz model is on sale because few are buying it and getting the GHz one instead.
TheOldFart is offline Find More Posts by TheOldFart
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:39 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post
If I were to buy an Esky KOB (xheli), is it worth the extra $18 to get the 2.4GHz model?

http://www.xheli.com/kob.html

I'm guessing that the MHz model is on sale because few are buying it and getting the GHz one instead.
If you have ever had to wait your turn for a frequency flying with other guys in the same field/ place then the 2.4Ghz makes sense.

If you are the only one flying then not really.

However some will argue one system has benefits over the other and that is another debate.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:44 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
I don't think so that's why I bought the 72Mhz version for $77 shipped. There's nothing wrong with 72Mhz and many RC modelers are still flying planes and helis on 72Mhz. The only time you need to be concerned is if or when you are planning to fly at a actual field or spot where there are possibility of other models being operated at the same time. These toy helis are rarely flown at a "real" model flying field anyways; they are mostly operated at or in one's home without any other flight traffic. In close to 40 years of flying RC aircraft and helis, I've only been actually "shot down" by someone turning on his TX on the same 72Mhz of my flying model while I was flying perhaps twice. And this was back in the day when everyone flew only 72 Mhz, 2.4Ghz was not yet available. Nowadays, the vast majority of modelers use 2.4 Ghz which means it frees up 72 Mhz, will be les chance of usage.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
If you have ever had to wait your turn for a frequency flying with other guys in the same field/ place then the 2.4Ghz makes sense.

However some will argue one system has benefits over the other and that is another debate.
Thanks. I will be the only one flying. There are 2 clubs, both about 35 miles from me, and they seem to be only into airplanes and one has a car track too. I would fly it in no wind conditions in the yard or in my enclosed patio room (28 x 14).
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:48 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,364 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I will be the only one flying. There are 2 clubs, both about 35 miles from me, and they seem to be only into airplanes and one has a car track too. I would fly it in no wind conditions in the yard or in my enclosed patio room (28 x 14).
normally you can easily do with MHz if you stay in such a small area (even though I shouldn't speak of small, as my flying field at home is only 11x7ft)

Edit:
this was the first heli movie I ever made, with a 72MHz LamaV4 (including some mods ...) when I still had access to a really nice indoor flying area... now develop an opinion on it ...
http://www.rcline.tv/video/1285/mein...r--heli--movie
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Nov 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
I don't think so that's why I bought the 72Mhz version for $77 shipped. There's nothing wrong with 72Mhz and many RC modelers are still flying planes and helis on 72Mhz. The only time you need to be concerned is if or when you are planning to fly at a actual field or spot where there are possibility of other models being operated at the same time. These toy helis are rarely flown at a "real" model flying field anyways; they are mostly operated at or in one's home without any other flight traffic. In close to 40 years of flying RC aircraft and helis, I've only been actually "shot down" by someone turning on his TX on the same 72Mhz of my flying model while I was flying perhaps twice. And this was back in the day when everyone flew only 72 Mhz, 2.4Ghz was not yet available. Nowadays, the vast majority of modelers use 2.4 Ghz which means it frees up 72 Mhz, will be les chance of usage.
OK, you guys talked me into the MHz model. Now I just have to convince the wife, although she wants to watch every time I fly the S107's. She thinks they are fun, but is afraid to fly the S107 herself. She is afraid to break it. I told her they are both still in one piece, despite me crashing them into everything in the kitchen. Besides, that's why I bought spare parts.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:

Back in the day, we use both frequency boards plus standard protocol of arriving flyers would be required to run the flight line and confirm if anyone else is using his frequency and of course, before turning your TX, you must check one more time and of course CALL OUT the Channel and then only then you will be clear for turning on your TX. No big deal really and over nearly 40 years flying at highly crowded flying fields, I think I've been " shot down only twice.

I think is a luxury but not necessary especially for these little toy helicopters; many of which are even still flying on 27Mhz, 40 Mhz and 49 Mhz.

Rarely, these kind of toy helis are operated at professional flying fields , more likely played with at one's home or inside one's home with no other flyers operating. I fly my 72Mhz helis around my home all the time and I've never experienced any kind of interference and have never been shot down.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:55 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
OK, you guys talked me into the MHz model. Now I just have to convince the wife, although she wants to watch every time I fly the S107's. She thinks they are fun, but is afraid to fly the S107 herself. She is afraid to break it. I told her they are both still in one piece, despite me crashing them into everything in the kitchen. Besides, that's why I bought spare parts.
I can help you with that situation.
I am showing my 7y/o Godson how to fly the S107 and he has been told if he manages to fly this resposibly then he may get one for Christmas.

I stand behind him, let him hold the transmitter with his thumbs on the sticks, put my thumbs on top of his thumbs and say to him "let me fly it and this will teach your thumbs how easy it is to fly".

I only needed to do this a couple of times before his thumbs "became educated" into using small movements on the sticks

So you get behind your wife ..............
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Even the places that I might fly outdoors in no wind would not need a range over about 100 ft from the transmitter and probably only about 50 or 60 feet. All of the advertised ranges are greater than this, so I should be fine with the MHz model.

Does that sound right?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:

you won't have any trouble from the cars because only 75 Mhz was allocated to surface vehicles ages ago. 35 miles away is WAY FARTHER than any 72 mhz can transmit. 72 Mhz can transmit only up to around 1 mile under the best of conditions.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:00 PM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
I can help you with that situation.
I am showing my 7y/o Godson how to fly the S107 and he has been told if he manages to fly this resposibly then he may get one for Christmas.

I stand behind him, let him hold the transmitter with his thumbs on the sticks, put my thumbs on top of his thumbs and say to him "let me fly it and this will teach your thumbs how easy it is to fly".

I only needed to do this a couple of times before his thumbs "became educated" into using small movements on the sticks

So you get behind your wife ..............
The problem is that it's not the remote sticks that I will be handling.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:06 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Even the places that I might fly outdoors in no wind would not need a range over about 100 ft from the transmitter and probably only about 50 or 60 feet. All of the advertised ranges are greater than this, so I should be fine with the MHz model.

Does that sound right?
I don't know about you, I have no interest trying to fly a tiny toy heli farther than 50 feet away from me; it will be difficult to watch and carefully notice every movement attitude change, etc. at past that range. When flying 4 channel helis, you are constantly anticipating and responding to every minute change of the flight attitude and you must be able to input control on throttle, yaw, pitch and roll simultaneously to keep the model flying. The farther away you are from the model , the more difficult to see it and control it effectively. Flying full house 4 channel is nothing like these tiny 3 channel "auto pilot" behaving cheapo toy helis.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:06 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
The problem is that it's not the remote sticks that I will be handling.
and your complaining
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
and your complaining
Nope. It's only a problem in that she won't be flying the heli. Maybe she'll take off though.

Now a question. What spare parts should I get with the order? I'm thinking both main blades, tail blade, skid and balance bar.

Edit: I just noticed that it comes with spare main blades.
Edit #2: Tail blade is not functional.
Last edited by TheOldFart; Nov 12, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:45 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Now a question. What spare parts should I get with the order? I'm thinking both main blades, tail blade, skid and balance bar.

Edit: I just noticed that it comes with spare main blades.
Edit #2: Tail blade is not functional.
This is one heli I don't have, but if I did I would do the same as I always do - I never buy spares till I need them.

I am fortunate to have quite a few 3ch and 4ch helis so if one goes down I have plenty left to fly while I wait for spares.
I don't understand why some guys buy lots of spares only never to use most of them .

I did buy a few spares for the S107 and they are all still in their storage box compartments and I cannot see me ever using them .

Sorry I may use some when my Godson gets his S107 at Christmas, but even he has now been flying for a few weeks with no broken parts so far. That may change when he is flying on his own or tries to show off to his friends .