HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:00 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Proper way to run CC BEC PRO on 6s with a 12s system...Updated for EDGE and EDGE HV

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...stallation.pdf

This PDF show the CC BEC but the drawing is the same if you want to use a CC BEC PRO with a 12s system but you prefer to run on 6s input.

Advantages- The cont. current rating on the CC BEC PRO is higher on 6s than on 12s...

You can also power up your equipment ( FBL, and RX) before powering up the motor and ESC ...

Not the only way to run the CC BEC PRO but this is my personal preference on my Trex 700's ... and you may also like it too.

If you are hooking to the positive and the High negative then you can damage components so make sure you are connecting as in the diagram. ( I also added a PDF link from the CC Web Site it is possible to wire the BEC on 6s incorrectly on the ICE HV and it not damage the ESC... but using that harness on an EDGE can damage the ESC.) If you follow the examples in the drawings then you will be fine.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ring_guide.pdf
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Last edited by Clintstone; Aug 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Updated
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:21 AM
Enid, OK
Joined Jun 2006
64 Posts
Clint

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...multicell.html

Why does the red bold print say "Not applicable to BEC Pro" above the graphic?

Sandy
sandyem16 is offline Find More Posts by sandyem16
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:49 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyem16 View Post
Clint

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...multicell.html

Why does the red bold print say "Not applicable to BEC Pro" above the graphic?

Sandy
Some of the drawings don't apply to the BEC PRO and that is why it is there. One of the drawings at the bottom left says never do this: it is hooking to the High negative and this will cause problems for the HV and the PH. The other Never do this drawing on the right is okay for the BEC Pro but I recommend running on 6s for the trex 700 and 12s as I described above.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:22 PM
Enid, OK
Joined Jun 2006
64 Posts
Okay, I will do as you suggested.. great idea.. Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:51 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyem16 View Post
Okay, I will do as you suggested.. great idea.. Thanks
I think you will really like this method...
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:20 PM
Newman Lake, WA
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
Anyone have any idea why the warning is there not to try it on the BEC pro though?

Issues anyone?
RC Dbutz is offline Find More Posts by RC Dbutz
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:43 AM
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
What is the amp draw specs? The spec sheet that came with my CC BEC Pro simply says 10 amp max. What is the amp draw limit with a 12s setup?
hookedonheli's is offline Find More Posts by hookedonheli's
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:09 AM
Enid, OK
Joined Jun 2006
64 Posts
I found this press release concerning the output based on input voltage..
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:03 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dbutz View Post
Anyone have any idea why the warning is there not to try it on the BEC pro though?

Issues anyone?
Read post #3 in this thread....

This is at the top of the page because there are several ways to wire up the CC BEC and it warns not to wire a certain way that does not apply to the BEC PRO as you can wire in Series with 12s... The point of this thread is to show an alternative way to wire the BEC PRO. Guys are always wanting to wire a 12s system on 6s for the BEC so I am simply showing the proper way to do this by using Drawings that also apply to the CC BEC.... The main point for 12s system powering the BEC Pro on 6s is to make sure you are on the low negative...

I prefer to power up my Radio gear on my 12s Heli prior to powering up my ESC and motor... this is just a preference...I use this when setting up FBL system and testing different radio components that require quite a bit of setup.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:13 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonheli's View Post
What is the amp draw specs? The spec sheet that came with my CC BEC Pro simply says 10 amp max. What is the amp draw limit with a 12s setup?
As you can see in the PDF " Press release the cont. rating on 12s is around 8 amps cont. with a 20 amp peak... with a 6s system you have around 13amps cont. and a 20 amp Peak.

Again I prefer the 6s wiring method as opposed to the 12s because I like to be able to power the radio gear before the ESC and It makes the setup safer for programing FBL systems. This is just a preference. The difference in mah draw from the 2 6s packs is usually like 3-4 % on a meter.... I figure this is actually 100 - 150 mah per flight from the 6s pack with the BEC wired in for power.

I hope this helps clarify the method and the reason I prefer this method.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 07:38 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
The BEC Pro is (in)famous for its high failure rate on 12S. So yes, 6S is the preferred method and, as Clint said, this has other advantages too.
3Dmuse is offline Find More Posts by 3Dmuse
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:35 PM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
Clintstone, Hello. I just picked up a CC BEC PRO and would like to use it on my 8s system. Would you recommend running the BEC PRO on one of the 4s packs, or do you think it would be fine on the 8s? If I can run it on 8s, I would just solder the BEC leads to the series connector instead of the ESC and still have the option of powering the radio gear before the ESC. Also, cooling the BEC shouldn't be a problem with my application.
RCFEVER is offline Find More Posts by RCFEVER
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:59 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
I believe Clint will agree - but I would run it on one of the 4s packs. The lower the input voltage the higher the continuous current will be.

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:59 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
bump
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
United States, MD, Garrett Park
Joined Mar 2011
9 Posts
Question for Clintstone. barzaun mentioned that the BEC Pro is (in)famous for high failure rate when connected in 12S mode compared to 6S. Could you comment on this? Thanks.
curmudgeon is offline Find More Posts by curmudgeon