Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 14, 2003, 03:41 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,425 Posts
New (unofficial...) F5D world record...

Quote:
Christian Rößler prepares his Tokoloschi for the record flight: 65,30s! Unfortunately, official records can only be flown at international FAI contests, so we'll keep this one as an unofficial record.Regardless, this outstanding performance clearly shows what is possible nowadays.

Model data "Tokoloschi"
Weight 809g
Motor: Hacker B40 FAI 6 Wdg
controller: Hacker Master 70P Pylon
Prop: CamSpeed 4,7 x4,7
Batteries: 10 x Sanyo 1950 FAUP pushed & matched
More (with photo) here:

http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...3-0044-02.html
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
Last edited by WimH; Jul 14, 2003 at 04:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2003, 04:08 PM
Seņor Meember
Joined Sep 2001
973 Posts
Quote:
Christian Roessler prepares his Tokoloschi for the record flight: 65,30s! Unfortunately official world records can be reached only on international FAI championships, to that extent hold we this as unofficial record. Shows nevertheless this outstanding time, which is possible at present.
Hmm... the translation didn't help me any. What does this mean?

Mario
Sloper Mario is offline Find More Posts by Sloper Mario
Old Jul 14, 2003, 04:14 PM
Pylon freak
Rijnsburg,the Netherlands
Joined Jun 2000
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sloper Mario

Mario
That this record is unofficial because this wasn't an international FAI championship.

Amazing to see how fast these electric racers have evolved in a couple of years.

Too bad these FAUP cells don't last very long at these currents.

Paul
Paulus is offline Find More Posts by Paulus
Old Jul 14, 2003, 04:44 PM
Joined Dec 2001
5,425 Posts
Quote:

Mario
Hmm, better now?
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:15 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,250 Posts
Interesting that the record holder had only one time within 10% of the record time.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:21 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
So, how does one of the regular joes around here get thier hands on a "Tokoloschi"?

Interesting that they are using the FAUP cells. It's surprising to me to hear they do that well being they are such a small diameter. I guess I'm just used to the old thinking big diameter = large amp draw.
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:59 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
GregG,

Getting a "Tokoloschi" is virtually impossible. The Germans who make them let them out to only the few that are in their inner circle. Deiter at Shredair has been trying to import them.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Jul 15, 2003, 12:37 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
What I learned from the google translation of this article is that everyone is running 10 cell FAUP packs and they only last 5-6 cycles. This seems a little too extreme for my taste. One look at the hard hats shows that the flying would be well out of my league.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Jul 15, 2003, 12:51 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,299 Posts
<Interesting that the record holder had only one time within 10% of the record time. Greg>

Greg! No!, you aren't implying that this was a 9 lap time? That's just not very sporting of you! I mean, it is very well documented that the F5D times are typically flown by people who find it in themselves (divine intervention maybe?) to go 10% faster for one race of the meet and set new world records. Shame on you.

I guess I might be excited if normal people could buy batteries capable of such a flight possible for themselves. If it's anything like people trying to emulate Wimmer's 9 cell setup, you are going to see a lot of pilots not make run time again..

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Jul 15, 2003, 01:35 AM
F5D Germany
Wisenheim, Germany
Joined Jan 2003
236 Posts
Hello,

@ gkamysz & dave

Quote:
Interesting that the record holder had only one time within 10% of the record time.
Your imputation is not fair. Christian starded afer Dirk, who flew 68,5 sec, overtook him in the middle of the heat and finished first. How can this be wrong messurement.
The results are points (incl. cuts) and not the times in seconds. Every cut adds 10%.
He had more than 3 times within 10%, but with cuts. This means 50% of his flights without technical problems were within 10% - time considert only.
Christian didn`t practice with the new cells (because of the short life expectancy in pylon) and was quite taken by suprise by the difference in speed compared to the old cells he used before. Even for me as his caller it was really hard to adjust the timing. In addition we had to learn in the first 3 heats that the new cells don`t work with our ESC. 90 sec is a good time with the last lap gliding;-) The 8th heat was 66,6 sec, but with two cuts. You should have seen the speed differece compared to the other pilots in the same group (who became first and second in that competition).
Even Robert Wimmer don't fly every heat unter 70 sec.

@ rcelectfly
All Tokoloschis flown are made by the pilots themselves. You can rent the male mold and make your own female mold. Tokoloschis are not for sale because of the high cost you have by that small number "produced". Tokoloschis are not for sale in Germany, too.
It takes me 4 weeks to build one. Selling is not economic. Even I would prefer to buy a Avionik instead of building a Tokoloschi, if I could get one.

Info about Tokoloschi: www.akamodell.vo.tum.de -> projekte -> Pylon -> F5D -> "Struktur und Bauberichte" -> "Bilder und Beschreibung vom Flügelbau"
Although in German, the pictures should give a good impression.
Don't use the English version. I stopped translating due to insufficient hits.

Regards
2fast4U is offline Find More Posts by 2fast4U
Last edited by 2fast4U; Jul 15, 2003 at 05:15 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 02:07 AM
Seņor Meember
Joined Sep 2001
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WimH
Hmm, better now?
Unfortunately no. I don't know squat about these competitions and the only number I see is "65,30s" which means nothing to me. Oh well.

Mario
Sloper Mario is offline Find More Posts by Sloper Mario
Old Jul 15, 2003, 02:40 AM
F5D Germany
Wisenheim, Germany
Joined Jan 2003
236 Posts
Hallo,

@Mario
65,3 is the fastest time ever flown in F5D. But it is not a new official FAI world record, which can be flown only on world and continental championships. This was only one of the three races for the German championship. So it is "only" the new German record.

On the world championships 1998 the fastest time was 83,3.
On the world championships 2000 the fastest time was 74,3.
On the world championships 2002 the fastest time was 66,3.
beyond 60 in 2003? I don`t think so (compression effects at the propeller tips).

In other words: 65,3 with an electric pylon is very very fast.

Clear now?

Regards
Last edited by 2fast4U; Jul 15, 2003 at 07:17 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 05:32 AM
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2002
899 Posts
<60s

Why not under 60s? I thought the limiting factor are the batteries, but they are getting better, so what's the story about the 'compression effect' at the propeller tips? Never heard about it before...

By the way, didn't the worldchampion Robert Wimmer take part in the German championship?
KrisS is offline Find More Posts by KrisS
Old Jul 15, 2003, 05:51 AM
Joined Dec 2001
5,425 Posts
Quote:
the only number I see is "65,30s" which means nothing to me...

Mario
65.30s is 1 minute and five and a half seconds used to complete 10 laps of a pylon race flown on a triangular 180m*180m*40m course, for a total length of four kilometers if you manage to fly perfectly Given 3600 seconds in one hour, this means an (average!) speed of 4*3600/65.5 or about 220KPH ( close to 140Mph)

Quote:
Originally posted by gkamysz

Greg
It would be interesting to have the cuts marked in the result. I can imagine the turns getting more difficult as the speed goes up.
Last edited by WimH; Jul 15, 2003 at 05:55 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 07:35 AM
F5D Germany
Wisenheim, Germany
Joined Jan 2003
236 Posts
Hello,

@KrisS
You`re right. My first impression was wrong. Compression effect at the prop tips are not the limit. Even in a 60s flight it should be beyond mach 0.6. F3D props run at higher mach numbers.

Regards