HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:13 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Shhhhhh!!!!! It's a little seen sleeper with retract (non-plural retracts??),Goldberg Sailplane like empennage and a 76"/790 sq.in. undercambered polyhedral wing. Flys great and she is going to get a refit with a Super Cyke or large intake sideport Ohlsson after having been a glow C Cabin class model for 25 years or so.
Gonna have to add THAT to the list. Hmm, I'm 49, the list has oh, about 30 designs on it..THAT"S possibly doable to about 75 or so..
Cash
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:27 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashRC View Post
So, to answer, if it was me..I'd call it a "Hot Rod Zephyr"..kinda like "Hot Rod Lincoln"..except you wouldn't have a song named after the Zephyr..
Cash
Not much rhymes with Zephyr, except heifer.
johnvb is offline Find More Posts by johnvb
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:01 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvb View Post
Not much rhymes with Zephyr, except heifer.
"Son, your'e gonna make me sell my old heifer if you keep on flyin' that Hot Rod Zephyr.."

Yeah...not a good idea after all..
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:01 PM
Havin FUN
United States, KS, Basehor
Joined Sep 2001
573 Posts
"Radio antennas in a low flyby looked like mile post markers , in that Hot Rod Zephyr"

"Moderators we're gonna drive you crazy with these Hot Rod Zepher phrases"
Gonnacrash is offline Find More Posts by Gonnacrash
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:07 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonnacrash View Post
"Radio antennas in a low flyby looked like mile post markers , in that Hot Rod Zephyr"

"Moderators we're gonna drive you crazy with these Hot Rod Zepher phrases"
"Took my Zephyr out late one night when the moon and the stars were shinin' bright, we were flying 'round Grapevine Hill, passing Bombers and Playboys like they were standing still.."
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:39 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
30 designs? And you figure you will be done by the time you're 75?? Don't count on it Buddy, 'cuz every time you finish off one, you will find that your list has grown by at least two!! I'm 72, and I tell you the truth...

I have a dozen models on the go as we speak, some closer to flying than others, plus a half-dozen repairs; meantime, I inherited a dozen or so kits, and my plans stash is ~ 600 or so. What chance do I have? ;-)
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:50 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,528 Posts
Hey guys, I'm glad I'm not alone. Bill and the "GW- aka Lancer" think a good basement clean up is to start with a dumpster and throw everything out. Thanks TLyttle, I don't feel so bad about having many models on the go. My oldest is from the 1960's....I ran out of ideas and never finished it, next is a kit I started in 1974, framed it, then hung it up. There's always something new around the corner, or even regular maintenance keeps one busy.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:03 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,452 Posts
Perhaps a linguistically modified name like Crimson Wind would fit??
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:09 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,660 Posts
I like the sound of that name, the Crimson Wind....
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Hey guys, I'm glad I'm not alone. Bill and the "GW- aka Lancer" think a good basement clean up is to start with a dumpster and throw everything out. Thanks TLyttle, I don't feel so bad about having many models on the go. My oldest is from the 1960's....I ran out of ideas and never finished it, next is a kit I started in 1974, framed it, then hung it up. There's always something new around the corner, or even regular maintenance keeps one busy.
That's what I'm afraid of, I desperately want to start my Playboy, but I have a little Powerhouse on the bench now, and I know me..If I don't finish it, I never will...
But then again..It's MY hobby isnt it..not like it's work, I don't have a set schedule or plan or number of items I MUST finish. That might be my problem..I tend to go about this like I'm at work. I mean I LOVE to build, but I get to a point sometimes where I have a bird partially done, and something else catches my eye, but I stay on the straight and narrow and finish what I've started...what do you guys think?
Cash
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Perhaps a linguistically modified name like Crimson Wind would fit??
DingDingDingDing!! I think we have a winner!!!
At least I like the idea..
Cash
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:01 PM
Near Andover, Southern England
Joined Apr 2008
183 Posts
hmmmm - welllllll, no ones said wether my RZ's LOOK like RZ's or not, so i'm gonna go with this idea (not Crimson Wind - though its nicely original and quite clever), i'll call it a "Red Zephyr variant" by type and name her the "Mistress Misty" - which is a play on words my wife used to use, because her maiden name began with a 'T' therefore she was known in her friends social circles as Miss T - or Misty, for fun, see. But i can't call the plane a 'Misty' as it stands because there's already a plane design called 'Misty' so, since she can be quite bossy at times i'm going with 'Mistress Misty'. At least by flattering her a little by naming the RZ variant after her, she's not going to complain (as much) about losing her kitchen table for 3 months during the build Lol.....

btw - i'd still appreciate any input on the matter of how much (or not) my variant resembles the original RZ -i can't ask fellow flying buddies, since they have little in depth knowledge of the vintage scene.......Rick

oh, and rather rudely, i forgot to answer the ealier question 'how well does it fly?' Well, i can honestly say very nicely. it does have a tendancy to drop its nose power off and climb a bit too much at WOT, but thats just my bad (lazy) trimming, this has been totally cured by a naughty 'get around fix' using a p mix to add a tiny bit of down elevator at WOT and a corresponding bit of up that comes in at low stick. The wider chord helps drop the wing loading and the shorter moment makes the (widened) elevator even more responsive. why do i want that on a vintage? someone's gonna say. well, when i get bored doing very high slow circuits gently nudging the rudder servo, i do like to bring her in low for a spot of tight n'twisty 'knap of the Earth' flying - shes one of those designs you can stand on a wingtip at zero feet (almost) and do slow/tight chest high figure eights it does need a little washout i found to stop the dreaded tip stall - the mini (36") version has no washout and is a bit prone to dropping a wing suddenly in a slow tight turn. when i build the big one's (sorry - the "Mistress Misty"s) wings i'll be adding around 1 1/2 inches of washout - plus i'm real tempted to also build the LE slats for the slowest possible flight charactaristic. I don't thing the original RZ was intended, or probably, even capable, of the extreme tight n'slow fun flying.

further btw ; looks like she's heading for 12lb now, there's 6 lb of payload and non-negotiable weight penalty in there. still, she''l have a loading of just 16 Oz/ft - not too bad for a big-un. i'm currently researching airfoils for her - the wing is a hefty 2 1/2" thick at the 33%, max thickness position.

Edit: added a couple of pics of the fus skeleton under construction.
Would anyone be interested in a build thread for this big ol' timer ????
Rick. is offline Find More Posts by Rick.
Last edited by Rick.; Nov 18, 2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added pics
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:30 PM
Near Andover, Southern England
Joined Apr 2008
183 Posts
Bump! Cos i have added pics of the early fus build as an edit to my last post and no-one is gonna see it cos edits don't go up the list!!!!!

Anyone interested in a build thread for my Big Red Zephyr Variant aka 'Mistress Misty'
there's a few technical challenges lurking in this build for sure..............
Rick. is offline Find More Posts by Rick.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:32 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,770 Posts
I'm interested - I love build threads

Owl
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:47 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
873 Posts
Where's the thead so I can subcribe?