HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:42 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,693 Posts
Discussion
Wicked Stryker Lite

Just finished a lightweight Stryker build based around Don's "Wicked JR Park Pusher" motor. It's my second Stryker build. The first one also used an outrunner motor from Don, but a bigger one. I built that Stryker similar in weight and performance to a stock Stryker.

For this new one, my goal was to keep the weight low enough that the plane would have unlimited vertical with the Wicked JR motor. Since Don rates the Wicked JR at 16 ounces thrust with a 6x4 prop, I figured I needed an AUW of at least an ounce or two below that.

So to save weight, I used a 1050 mAh 3S battery (instead of the 2200 in my other one), used 9 gram servos instead of HS-82's (since this Stryker is not so heavy and fast, it doesn't need more than 9g servos), made the fins out of Depron and the elevons out of balsa, used a lighter, simpler motor mount (epoxied a plastic stick mount into the foam), used a simple lightweight plastic cover over the electronics bay instead of the stock hatch set, and did not paint the model -- but instead applied some of that super-sheer/lightweight colored packing tape. My final AUW came out at 14.6 oz.

I maidened it a couple days ago, and have five flights on it now. It does have unlimited vertical. It can fly around at only 10 or 12 mph, and then speed up to about the speed of a PZ T-28. The elevons I made for it are a little bigger than the stock ones, so it has a better roll rate than my other Stryker. And as far as flight duration, I flew for 10 minutes (mixed throttle, not much WOT) before hitting LVC.

One thing about the Park Pusher motor though -- it didn't like the stock timing on the Turnigy Plush ESC that I am using. Pushing the throttle quickly to full power would make the motor quit. I fixed the problem by reprogramming the ESC for "Middle" timing (it defaults to "Low").

Attached is a photo with both of my "Wicked" Strykers. The new "Lite" one is in the foreground.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:09 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,962 Posts
This is a good idea, I have one of these airframes I bought from a hobby shop as well I can do the same thing to.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:57 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
herk1 very nice !
Also I love those hinges please can you give me the link to where you got them....Thanks
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:04 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,693 Posts
Thanks! For the hinges, if you're talking about those clamp-on hinges on my old Stryker (the top, red-colored one in the photo), those are part of the stock elevon parts for the Stryker (link: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4233 ). I didn't want to use those for this new build, because they are too heavy, and I wanted a little more elevon surface area.

On that first Stryker I made, I bought the stock replacement parts for elevons, fins, and hatch set. On this new lightweight one, the only Horizon/Parkzone part is the fuselage itself. For elevons, I used balsa sheet, and I hinged them with Blenderm tape.

Because I didn't buy any of the stock parts for this new Stryker, it was really cheap to make. I tallied up the total cost of everything including the battery, except not the receiver, at less than $75.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:20 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Wow that is cheap thanks for the info really fancy getting a stryker. the stock one is way to expensive imo
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...