SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:12 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Discussion
Indoor Flying Tulsa, OK

Indoor flying is alive and well in Tulsa this season. I will keep this thread updated with the date, time, and location of indoor fly-ins. We are flying combat with Parkzone Embers and tissue paper streamers, it's a lot of fun and surprisingly little damage. So far none of the venues are requiring AMA. If that changes I will make sure to let everyone know.

Tulsa Indoors
Tulsa Unclub
Tulsa E-Combat

3/19 @ Owasso YMCA from 6 to 9 - Cost is free
4/2 @ Owasso YMCA from 6 to 9 - Cost is free
4/16 @ Owasso YMCA from 6 to 9 - Cost is free
3/13 @ The Rose Bowl from 10-4 - Cost is $10 to fly

Link for directions to the Owasso YMCA: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.016544&z=16

Link for directions to the Rose Bowl: http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...4&z=16&iwloc=A
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson
Last edited by smokejohnson; Feb 27, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:18 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Oh wow, brilliant
I'll really have to try to get there !!!!

What are the usual types of aircraft ? (normally Vapors and Champs and wotnot or home brew self mades too ?), attendence level ? and do AMA memberships need to be in place etc ?
I haven't been to anything like this and so have absolutely no clue at all with the Tulsa one.
BUT..it's the closest thing to me and i'd love to do this
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:47 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Last year you would see a little bit of everything there. The majority will be the Parkzone/EFlite UM stuff but there are plenty of scratchbuilds. Lots of helicopters too. I will have my Slofly and a Penguin.

Last year there was always enough people to make it fun but not so many that it was ever crowded. One time last year they had a swap meet and Bob Selman of BSD micros was there with all his stuff, Brandon Chitty showed up to wow the crowds (and he did ), and the owner of the LHS was there with all kinds of new cool stuff. There was a lot of people there that day but it still was not an issue to get to fly. There's plenty of space.

I have no idea if any of those guys will be there on the 21st but even if not, there will still be plenty of guys with a lot of cool and different planes.

I don't ever remember having to show my AMA card last year so I will have to check and get back with you on the that. I don't want to tell you that you don't need it and then they ask for it when you get here.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:14 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Thanks for that info, appreciated.

In a lot of ways, i'd just like to meet people from here and actually see some of the aircraft in action that are spoken of often. Our nearest 'LHS' is Broken Arrow ! I know the Champ literally inside and out from pictures and flight videos, but have never actually seen one, same with the Vapor, UM P-51, Sukhoi and practically anything else. Such the learning experience in some ways, by just attending.
I'd like to get a few aircraft readied up and, saying I can afford the trip, am very much looking forward to it.

Oh, my wife asked me to ask you about admission for non flying persons. I can't legally drive over here (full UK driving license but not US citizen yet) which means my wife would come along.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:03 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Well by all means you should make it so you can see all these planes in action .

I just talked to my buddy and AMA will not be required. I think last year there was a $5 admission for spectators, I am sure it will be the same this year but I will find out for sure.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:08 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
OK, thanks again and for any more info as things move along
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:20 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Found some video of my buddy flying his Homer Cart inside the Rose Bowl last season.

HOMER AT THE ROSE BOWL 3-7-2010.wmv (3 min 6 sec)
!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:22 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Here's one of the Mini Surfer Dude...I think he still has this one.

mini surfer dude at the rose bowl 4-4-10.wmv (3 min 37 sec)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:16 AM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
I've always been a fan of looping surfboards and road vehicles
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:37 AM
Building toys since 1941
Extreme southeast Kansas
Joined Aug 2007
126 Posts
I was there last year and had a great time.
Keithhs is offline Find More Posts by Keithhs
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:00 AM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Was you here on the day of the swap meet or just a regular fly-in day?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:43 AM
Building toys since 1941
Extreme southeast Kansas
Joined Aug 2007
126 Posts
I was there the day of the swap meet
Keithhs is offline Find More Posts by Keithhs
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:13 AM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
I need to find out if they are going to do the swap meet again. I don't think this weekend will be a swap meet but I really don't know.

I did hear that there is another date set for the first week of january. Again I am not sure if that will be a swap meet or not.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:49 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
It sounds like the January date will be the swap meet. I don't have a lot of details at this time but as I hear more I will pass on the info.

It looks like I will not have my Penguin here in time for this weekend . Oh well...I still have my Slofly.

It sounds like the guyz are going to fly indoor combat with the Embers again. I never got in on it last year but everybody really seemed to like it. I was in Model Works this weekend and Matt had 1 Ember left.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:01 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Went by Matt's today and was checking out the Beast. He received 6 and all 6 are sold. I'm sure there will be a couple of them at the Rose Bowl. It looks guuuuud up close .