SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:10 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
........Seems like a lot of Proto Maxes have this issue. .......

I inadvertently touched the aileron servo while screwing around with this problem. It was super hot to the touch. I'm going to assume that something has shorted out in there. It looks like the only way to replace the servo is to replace the entire board.....$22 at Hobby King plus shipping.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:13 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpainter3 View Post
heliproz has these for sale for $50. Tower wants $100

any good?

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RMXE6091
Did you read the first part of the FAQ that states the Revell Proto Max is the same heli as the Solo Pro? Guess not...

And in the 5th question of the FAQ, under the tab "First Impressions" I also referred to this topic: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1261412 where you can find a detailed review of this rebranded Solo Pro.

General remark: Please don't ask questions that are present already in the FAQ, unless there is something not clear about the way it is written. For things that are not FAQ related, use the general Solo Pro topic: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115641
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:00 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
subscribed
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:18 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflmcwaffle View Post
I was lifting different objects with my proto max and flying around with them for fun yes thats what happens on a lazy night in my house and the skids actually came out after an expecially heavy load. The front peg just slides in ot the hole, but should the back one be attached? Because it just hangs there loosely now and comes off on even slight crashes.
So just want to know if I should super glue it together or if it should be attaching in place
Is the rear peg as long as the front one? Perhaps the rear hole has a crack, so it won't hold the rear peg as snug as before. What you might try then, is the same trick as with the worn out links. Put a very thin coating of CA glue on the rear peg, let it cure long enough, then try how it fits.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:02 PM
Check my blog!
Rochester(ish) NY
Joined Nov 2010
276 Posts
ooh i see the problem, the front peg snapped off entirely, and is resting in the holder. okay, ill super glue that up once i solder on the new wires for turnigy batteries (christmas )
Thanks solopro,i appreciate it
roflmcwaffle is offline Find More Posts by roflmcwaffle
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:56 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflmcwaffle View Post
ooh i see the problem, the front peg snapped off entirely, and is resting in the holder. okay, ill super glue that up once i solder on the new wires for turnigy batteries (christmas )
Thanks solopro,i appreciate it
You're welcome. You could try a "splint" repair. Drill a tiny hole in the peg that is resting in the holder, and do the same on the remainder of the peg, that is still on the landing gear. Put a thin metal pin in the holes, with a tiny drop of super glue. If you are lucky, the peg will be solidly connected to the skids again, and even come out if you remove the skids.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,928 Posts
Found in the Solo/Free Spirit thread, and used with permission (thanks serum!), a way to make a "wall charger" if you can't get hold of the original NE charger.

Most of us might have some 3 channel helis lying around, with USB charger. These can be quite versatile, charge rates are quite in the range of the NE charger, and they have a cut off at around 4.2V. As socket for the battery you use a (broken) pair of skids. Simple, but effective.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:28 AM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
Still waiting for mine to arrive. It was ordered and shipped on Dec. 9th from China. Think it is being held in customs!

Has anyone successfully changed the battery and heli cables/connection on the solo pro to the same battery connectors as the msr. I would like to be able to charge multiple batteries at once with my charger and not have to use the solo pro transmitter to charge one at a time.

Also, is the solo pro 2 able to bind to a spektrum dx6i, or am I stuck with another proprietary?

Thanks in advance
ScottGTO is offline Find More Posts by ScottGTO
Last edited by ScottGTO; Dec 26, 2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:35 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGTO View Post
Still waiting for mine to arrive. It was ordered and shipped on Dec. 9th from China. Think it is being held in customs!

Has anyone successfully changed the battery and heli cables/connection on the solo pro to the same battery connectors as the msr. I would like to be able to charge multiple batteries at once with my charger and not have to use the solo pro transmitter to charge one at a time.

Also, is the solo pro 2 able to bind to a spektrum dx6i, or am I stuck with another proprietary?

Thanks in advance
For the mSR batteries option check the FAQ (you know, that chunk of text and pictures this FAQ thread starts with, under the header "Power Option")

As for binding with other TXs, I though I had included that in the FAQ already, but it seems to be not there yet, so I will get to that now.

Short answer, no, each company uses it's own 2.4 GHz protocol these days, so controlling heli from brand "A" with transmitter from brand "B" is no option...

Edit: Added a little info about what TX the Solo Pro can be bound to...

Edit #2 Added a general "how to trim" guide.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 26, 2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:26 PM
Rookie Hopeful
Massillon, Ohio
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
Revell Proto Max

Six of us bought the Proto Max from an on-line dealer. We received a full carton of these and out of the six; 3 worked,2 had the tail assembly not connected and the 3rd had a defective circuit board.Called up Revell and they did not have any models in stock. Called up the dealer and said he would replace the one with a new replacement. The two with the detached tail assembly worked after we inserted the assembly.

Out of six, 3 were not working. The QC is non-existent.

Finally after repairing 2 and getting the replacement all are flying. What is wrong when a company has a 50% failure rate !
air4prs is offline Find More Posts by air4prs
Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:16 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air4prs View Post
Six of us bought the Proto Max from an on-line dealer. We received a full carton of these and out of the six; 3 worked,2 had the tail assembly not connected and the 3rd had a defective circuit board.Called up Revell and they did not have any models in stock. Called up the dealer and said he would replace the one with a new replacement. The two with the detached tail assembly worked after we inserted the assembly.

Out of six, 3 were not working. The QC is non-existent.

Finally after repairing 2 and getting the replacement all are flying. What is wrong when a company has a 50% failure rate !
I can imagine a disconnected tail might be due to rough handling during shipping, but a damaged receiver might have another cause. Assuming the loose tails are not how it came from the assembly line, the rates are a lot better already. And you have some customer service, in this case from the dealer, to make it up.

Anyway, you have 6 flying helis now, I understand, so how I can help you further, or what I can take from this experience to improve this FAQ I don't know at this moment.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:15 AM
Joined Dec 2010
14 Posts
Ok for some reason it is no longer drifting left now....weird.

Another problem has come along...the main gear keeps shifting down below the gear on the motor so theres no contact to power the shaft/blades. Not sure why this is happening is there a screw I am supposed to tighten somewhere?

This heli is FUN to fly (I'm coming from a 3-channel). A bit difficult but slowly I am getting the grasp of it.
Newtybar is offline Find More Posts by Newtybar
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:57 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtybar View Post
Hi,

I just bought one from my local hobby shop and this thing keeps drifting to the left when I try to hover....

I tried searching through this thread but could not find much.

The first post said "drifting to the left is normal"...is it referring to what I am talking about? I have to basically slam the stick to the right to keep this thing level...I fail to see how that could possibly be normal.

Is there any way to get this thing to hover straight up?
Seems like you misunderstood the part where I explain the tilt this heli shows when in the air, in hover. It is not supposed to slide left all the time, but it would slide left if the rotor and heli are not tilted to the right a little, to compensate this drift that could occur. But you don't compensate with sticks, you do this with roll/aileron trim. You should be able to get the heli to keep a steady position without hands on the transmitter. When the heli is in stable hover, it will still be tilted to the right, nothing to do about that, pure physics. But it should stay in place, that is what you are aiming for with trimming. Now there is some slop in the servos, the swash and linkages. So it is possible that one minute you have stable hands free hover, and after some flying around, you have a slight drift.

Using different weight batteries also affects best trim setting, btw.

Quote:
Ok for some reason it is no longer drifting left now....weird.

Another problem has come along...the main gear keeps shifting down below the gear on the motor so theres no contact to power the shaft/blades. Not sure why this is happening is there a screw I am supposed to tighten somewhere?

This heli is FUN to fly (I'm coming from a 3-channel). A bit difficult but slowly I am getting the grasp of it.

First this, are you sure it's the main gear shifting down, or perhaps the whole main shaft shifting down? Just below the swash is a tiny plastic collar, with a single screw in it, that holds the shaft in place. If this plastic collar breaks a little, the main shaft can slide up and down. This will also mess with the angle of the swash and cause varying drifts, sideways and even forward or backward.

The main gear is held in place by 2 tiny screws, that fall into small pre drilled holes in the carbon fiber hollow main shaft. You either lost some screws, or they came loose.

So check if you still have 2 screws, make sure they are over the holes, since you don't want to crack the CF main shaft (even further, as some arrive with small cracks at the end) while tightening the screws.

If the part about the locking collar splitting apart a little isn't already in the FAQ, I'll add it.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:38 AM
Joined Dec 2010
14 Posts
Thanks for the advice Solo Pro - it is the whole shaft sliding down. I found that little collar piece you were talking about..somehow it shifted up all the way to the swash (probably loose). I lowered it back down and tightened it, will check to see how it flies tomorrow morning.
Newtybar is offline Find More Posts by Newtybar
Last edited by Newtybar; Dec 27, 2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:48 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,928 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice Solo Pro - it is the whole shaft sliding down.
Was the most likely option, the gear seems unbreakable, the plastic collar isn't. I suspect there is a tiny crack around the hole where the screw sits, causing the screw to slip. What I did to fix this condition is make sure the collar is in position, then glue it to the shaft with CA. You can still remove the shaft when needed, by removing the main gear. Just beware no glue gets in the swash or bearings.