HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:38 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
I have a yellow Solo pro V2 and a yellow Soar V2.
These are identical except for canopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder2661 View Post
Opps

They do seam to breed these little heli's lol

Maybe I can try to tell my wife that is where all my new helis come from.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:19 AM
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I've have my solo pro as my first heli (or rc model) for a few weeks and love it.

I read the post about setting EPAs in the subtrim mode. I set them so they are 1mm off the stops like the post said but after that for some reason suddenly had zero back elevator at all, the servo won't even begin move in that direction. I can have it move by setting EPA for back elevator so I'm sure it can't be a motor issue but the servo will just sit there and not return to the centre. Forward elevator is totally fine and unaffected as are l and r aileron.

I have tried a tx from a solo and had the same issue.

Any ideas?
Update: I'm pretty sure it's the board. Right by the servo there are 2 chips and the lower leg of the bottom one looks a mess, with nothing to lose I pushed it a little and now the servo won't move in either direction.

New board time
mark_l is offline Find More Posts by mark_l
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:06 PM
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
Let me guess, you are using the stock battery only ?
Meggy is offline Find More Posts by Meggy
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:39 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,303 Posts
Just a quick note, please try to keep this thread oriented on technical matters only. Shipment methods, and "deals of the day" or so, are more material for the general "Solo Pro Single Rotor" topic or so. Besides that, every now and then questions pop up that are already covered in the first postings in this thread.

I know I haven't been very strictly in moderating this thread lately, because others things occupy my time besides flying, but hopefully that will change soon again, and I will clean up the thread a little here and there. But it would help if you would work with me a little more in some occasions.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:42 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabek View Post
Have anyone tryed to use a stronger tail motor? I found that the weak tail rotor is responsible for the death spins. As the heli is slipping to the left it can not compensate the speed of the heli slipping fast to the left and also keep the tail straight, so it starts to spin while slipping hard to the left. I can recover by pushing a hard forward and right aileron and full right rudder, but i still think that it is not normal.
Maybe the Bravo Sx tail motor. I haven't tried these motors myself yet which requires modding the tail motor basket to accomodate the larger diameter:

The Aliexpress price is for a lot of 10 motors so $1.416 each.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissymmetry View Post
After burning a number of tailmotors, all of which failed progressively, and consistantly, I replaced mine (originally 0615) with a 0716. I had to make 2 cuts in the plastic basket that holds the tailmotor, to allow it to expand to fit the larger motor, but it's been there ever since, outlasting most of it's predecessors, combined. It's a little bit heavy in the tail, but not much, and it turns great.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:02 AM
Magyarország, Baranya, Pécs
Joined Feb 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldsneffe View Post
Hi,
the Bravo SX tail motor has the same dimensions as the Solo Pro tail motor - it is only 1 mm longer.
It also uses the same mount.

Left: Bravo SX motor, right: Solo Pro motor (both in a Solo Pro).
It handles very well.

Walter
Thanks Donaldsneffe!

So you are using this!

Does it still doing death spins on fast constant left turns outside?
Gabek is online now Find More Posts by Gabek
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
7 Posts
Hi,

Having lost a tail motor then finding the replacement faulty out of the pack (took a while to work out, just as well I have 2 solo pros) I remembered reading this post.

All I had left in the spares box was an old main motor from a long dead Syma 107 so I thought I would give it a go.

The motor is a bit big - 7x16mm - so the carrier needed a bit of surgery (ended up binding in with thread and CA).

Was a bit concerned how the heli would behave with the extra wieght on the back end too.

However the results were way better than I expected. Not had opportunity to give it a good go outside but indoors it is transformed. Tail rock steady and response on piro much more precise.

Had to shorten the elevator servo pushrod and re sub-trim to compensate for the heavier back end and retain enough servo throw to get good ff performance which seems not much different to before.

Finally had to adjust gyro to stop a bit of a tail twitch. Now its all trimmed flies better indorrs than ever before - can't wait to get it outside and throw it about a bit.
Krate is offline Find More Posts by Krate
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:01 PM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,436 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
Thanks Donaldsneffe!

So you are using this!

Yes - I am using Bravo SX tail and main motor in one of my Solo Pros.
I do not know those death spins, sorry, and I rarely flew my SPs outside (guess, never flew this one outside; and never flew a SP outside this year).
Flew in my living room and in lecture hall (quite big) - was very happy with them. Cant remember death spins in any of my 5 SPs.

Sorry, guess Solo Pro (the moderator) probably can answer your questions.

I am a little bit out of Solo Pro and Bravo SX flying, am totally stucked on my mCP xs since March, flew maybe 10 or 20 batteries with my Nine Eagles FP helis since then (but nearly 100 batteries mCP x only the last three days);
got my Solo Pro 180 3D today, so probably also wont do much with the FPs in near future (BTW: this Solo Pro seems by far not that perfect "out of the box" as the FP Solo Pro).

Dont wanna appear arrogant, I like the Solo Pro (and Bravo SX) very much; think, it is a wonderful heli, had much, much fun in flying and modding.
Maybe little bit more Solo Pro again in winter

Walter
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:12 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,303 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Donaldsneffe!

So you are using this!

It appears the death spins are not really induced by the tail motor. Think about it, in a left turn, the tail motor actually has little to do, it slows down. A bigger, stronger tail motor will not be needed to make left turns, but will only affect right turns. The death spin/spiral thing is more related to the head setup, where you can't control the flybar directly, it only has a dampening/stabilizing function. But during a fast left turn, somehow the flybar goes wild, and instead of stabilizing the heli after the turn, it draws it into a spiral.

The best thing to fix it is to change the head setup to one like the mSR/GW9958 or even better, look at how EQMOD altered his. Different flybar weights and lengths might change the threshold at which it occurs, and perhaps even an altered weight distribution might. But I expect little benefit of a stronger tail motor, except better tail hold on a throttle punch.

@DonaldsNeffe: Glad to hear you're having fun with the mCP X. It will certainly outperform the SP or any FP heli. And yet, quite a few pilots that stepped up, keep the SP/SX for soms casual fun flying, or just for old time's sake. Seems like these small helis grow on you.
Anyway, thanks for your insights and contributions to this thread.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:50 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Wish there was plug n play solution for EQMod's Bell Hiller head to replace the stock Solo Pro & Bravo SX head.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:34 AM
Magyarország, Baranya, Pécs
Joined Feb 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
It appears the death spins are not really induced by the tail motor. Think about it, in a left turn, the tail motor actually has little to do, it slows down. A bigger, stronger tail motor will not be needed to make left turns, but will only affect right turns. The death spin/spiral thing is more related to the head setup, where you can't control the flybar directly, it only has a dampening/stabilizing function. But during a fast left turn, somehow the flybar goes wild, and instead of stabilizing the heli after the turn, it draws it into a spiral.

The best thing to fix it is to change the head setup to one like the mSR/GW9958 or even better, look at how EQMOD altered his. Different flybar weights and lengths might change the threshold at which it occurs, and perhaps even an altered weight distribution might. But I expect little benefit of a stronger tail motor, except better tail hold on a throttle punch.

@DonaldsNeffe: Glad to hear you're having fun with the mCP X. It will certainly outperform the SP or any FP heli. And yet, quite a few pilots that stepped up, keep the SP/SX for soms casual fun flying, or just for old time's sake. Seems like these small helis grow on you.

Solo,

True. On a left turn it slows down normaly. This is only a way to get in the spin. Try a fast speed long left circle outside. In the end you will fall to "death spin". I think it happens when the heli slows down in the end. The hiller is trying to make the heli go to the left hard, and it does if you let it.

The death spin starts slipping to the left. So to be able to keep the tail direction the tail rotor have to spin up hard. It does but not enough. So the heli is still slipping to the left while starts to spin also, because the tail rotor does not compensate the speed, and there you go. "Death spin..."

I will fix this. At the moment we are only talking about it. I will post my experiences.
Gabek is online now Find More Posts by Gabek
Last edited by Gabek; Sep 27, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:59 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,436 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
well, for indoor in my living room the Solo Pro or Bravo SX is by far the better choice.
But outdoors, you cannot compare those micro FP and CP helis at all.
While you try to bring back your micro FP, and hope, the wind will not blow it away, you can do with your CP (if you can ) what you want. Changing altitude is no problem, wind only a slight problem (even flew the mCP x in light storm), you can flip, fly upside down, and it is much, much, much faster. And it is totally different (and much more difficult) to fly.

Big minus for me: I have to take my mCP x, take bike or car, and go to places where I can fly it outdoors; weather has to be fine, has to be during daytime, needs a lot of time.
In my living room I can fly the mCP x - slowly circles, hovering, ok - but indoors (living room) the Solo Pro and the Bravo SX (and Twingo, and...) are more fun. No danger for furniture and walls (the mCP x is dangerous), can fly at midnight, can only fly one or two batteries and put it back...

So no bad word about the Solo Pro - it is fantastic.

But all those helis need a lot of time, really a lot (especially mCP x modding to brushless, tail mods, etc.) - and there is a life beside helis
The Solo Pro will never die for me, still wanna do the BL mod, for SP or Bravo SX, maybe some scale canopies, ... autumn is here in Austria now, sun sets early, winter will come - dark afternoons and evenings - I am sure, I will work on and fly my Nine Eagles FPs again.

Walter
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:15 AM
Carboy
Yokohama Japan
Joined Jul 2005
185 Posts
I started doing Heli's about 6 years ago (about the time I joined RCGroups). My first heli was a Piccolo V2 that I built myself. I wasn't able to ever get it off the ground. It was so unstable that it always ran into something as soon as it got more than an inch of the ground. I finally gave up as soon as the cost of the replacement parts surpassed the cost of the heli itself.

My second heli was a Rotofly (yeah really old school)...I bought it used off of ebay. What a POS. I got it off the ground once and then it crashed into the wall and shattered into a million pieces. Never touched it since.

I finally bought a PicoZ at the end and figured it'd be no great loss if it broke. I managed to to fly that really well, but got bored with it.

After spending about $300+ total on this hobby, I figured that I wasn't cut out for heli's so I gave up.

Six years later, we now have YouTube and some very good how to videos, so I decided to try helis again. I decided to but a Falcon 8911 coaxial to start with. I was so surprised at how stable that thing is. It virtually flies itself! I was able to master that in about 2 weeks, but I had a really bad collision with the ceiling fan and killed the blade grips. I ordered new ones but they were taking forever to arrive to I figure I would buy something cheap while I wait for parts.

I was looking for something along the lines of another PicoZ, but then I saw the Solo Pro. $70.00 for the whole kit wasn't bad so I bought it, and it arrived the next day (FANTASTIC service from my local vendor).

OMG! I LOVE THIS THING. It is so agile and yet easy to fly, almost as easy as my Falcon, but 100x the fun. I am doing funnels in my bedroom and its freakin hilarious to watch.

I just recently replaced the rotor head with a light weight one and it made it even more stable and smooth. I totally recommend it if you are moving up from coaxial or even if you are a FP professional. I will do the Solo Pro for the next couple of months and then my next step up will be a CP heli.
ZiariM is offline Find More Posts by ZiariM
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:48 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krate View Post
Hi,
.............All I had left in the spares box was an old main motor from a long dead Syma 107 so I thought I would give it a go.

The motor is a bit big - 7x16mm - so the carrier needed a bit of surgery (ended up binding in with thread and CA.........).
You can also cut out a 7x16mm main motor holder from a Syma 107 or NE210A Solo frame to mod and CA glue to the stock Solo Pro/Bravo SX tail motor carrier.
Last edited by Brosol; Sep 28, 2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:19 AM
Carboy
Yokohama Japan
Joined Jul 2005
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
ZiariM,
Ok, the question is...what is the lightweight rotor head you replaced the original with?
referring to the Xtreme Delrin Rotor Head...but I used a carbon fiber rod instead of the metal one that it came with
ZiariM is offline Find More Posts by ZiariM