Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:07 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
@jtravel (and others): Added info about what to do before using the OEM 120 mAh batteries to the FAQ.
your Outstanding effort here is greatly appreciated
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:42 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
your Outstanding effort here is greatly appreciated
Thanks! Your, and other's positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. I started this thread primarily to help others, and bundle information, but it is also nice to know it is valued so much. :-)
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:48 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,350 Posts
Subscribed

Good Thread and full of STELLAR information! I will come back many times to this thread for sure.
I noticed Hobby King sells all the parts you need to build one of these helis from the ground up.
What other on line vendors are selling replacement parts for this heli with prices competitive with HK?

Any new information when that New improved CF flybar will be available and where can we get it when it is available?
RogueTitan is online now Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Dec 08, 2010, 09:11 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
Good Thread and full of STELLAR information! I will come back many times to this thread for sure.
I noticed Hobby King sells all the parts you need to build one of these helis from the ground up.
What other on line vendors are selling replacement parts for this heli with prices competitive with HK?

Any new information when that New improved CF flybar will be available and where can we get it when it is available?
Information about Xtreme upgrades will be posted in the special thread. I will add the link to that topic to the FAQ asap if it isn't already present...

As for spare parts prices, Miracle Mart is cheap as well, but has very little stock lately...

Here is the Xtreme Solo Pro thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=xtreme

Edit: Link now also added to the FAQ.

Added canopy removal procedure, and changed layout to make it more clear.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 08, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:48 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
Quote:
IQ: What other batteries can be used with the Solo Pro?

A: .............
Do you want more choices, it is better to solder an extra wire to the skids' contact strips so batteries for the MSR can be used. Intellect/Hyperion 130 mAh is very suitable, and the Thunder Power 160 and Nano-tech 130 are other possible options, although these haven't been tested as extensively yet.
Can you show or explain exactly where the extra wire needs to be soldered?

Great thread by the way, very helpful.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:16 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
Can you show or explain exactly where the extra wire needs to be soldered?

Great thread by the way, very helpful.

Bob
I'll see if I can find a good picture. Most pics show it soldered to the receiver, but that has some risks. A set of skids is much cheaper, and easily replaced when things go wrong.

Edit: Found a picture, and marked the places where you could put the wires. Remember to sand the metal strips a little, so the solder holds better. And don't apply heat too long, or the plastic around it will start to melt.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 08, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:52 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
Quote:
I'll see if I can find a good picture. Most pics show it soldered to the receiver, but that has some risks. A set of skids is much cheaper, and easily replaced when things go wrong.

Edit: Found a picture, and marked the places where you could put the wires. Remember to sand the metal strips a little, so the solder holds better. And don't apply heat too long, or the plastic around it will start to melt.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Dec 09, 2010, 12:51 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno-san View Post
Can you add the CG and "how to balance info" to the FAQ? Maybe not just the heli but also how to balance the blades..
You mean Center of Gravity? I haven't really experimented with that. I did find the heli behaves a little better with CG more to the back, like you get when using eflite batteries, since they sit less forward in the holder. But apart from that there is very little I can tell about this.

Balancing the blades? Might be a good addition. Although I only have experience with static balance, using a precision scale to match blades. It's very hard to balance them when turning. Most of the time there is a wobble in the head, it is the head itself not tracking right. I think I also need more info or some experimenting to be able to really have something to say about how to do this...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:17 PM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
Yes sir. Ok, I thought that someone might have steady found the best balance point. Your info about it flying better with the CG a little further back is interesting. I would have thought moving it forward might help with the left turns. Will have to try your suggestion.

You also mentioned some battery sources for different compatible cells. Can you add the link to those here?

Thanks again for all if the great info.
Wayno-san is offline Find More Posts by Wayno-san
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:59 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno-san View Post
Yes sir. Ok, I thought that someone might have steady found the best balance point. Your info about it flying better with the CG a little further back is interesting. I would have thought moving it forward might help with the left turns. Will have to try your suggestion.

You also mentioned some battery sources for different compatible cells. Can you add the link to those here?

Thanks again for all if the great info.
The CG is already way forward on this heli, that is why the swash is tilted backwards. Looking at how well the Bravo SX behaves in turns, it might seem that having the weight shifted backwards has something to do with this. Problem is that you can't easily shift the stock battery around since it is part of the skids.

Compatible cells are available from Hobby King, the already mentioned OEM 120 mAh lipos, and the Hyperion 130 with NE connector (they even have with single rib, so for the V-series, and with double rib, for the older I and II or coaxials) are available from www.rclipos.com and http://www.b-p-p.com/product.php?pro...&cat=61&page=1

Both out of stock at the moment though...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:06 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,025 Posts
Added some lines to the disclaimer, and posted info about another way to mod the flybar.

Question, how do you like the new layout I converted the FAQ to?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:15 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
859 Posts
[QUOTE=SoloPro;16796436]Added some lines to the disclaimer, and posted info about another way to mod the flybar.

Question, how do you like the new layout I converted the FAQ to?[/QUOTE]

Oustanding job, SP! Very clear, easy to find what one's looking for. There isn't anyone interested in these little beasts who won't benefit.Thanks for the time and effort!

Three or four years ago, over on the coax forum, someone had similar ambitions for the Lama V4. He didn't really know how to moderate it, didn't update it very often, and eventually disappeared from the scene. The thread, however, lived on, and must still be useful to new owners of the V4 - still selling, even if it is a bit stone age. It would have been useful, though, if he'd handed over moderating ability to someone else before moving on.

As you are the only one who can update it, I hope you realise how dependent on you we are! Although, of course, no pressure!
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:21 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,025 Posts
[QUOTE=ranavalona;16797893]
Quote:
Added some lines to the disclaimer, and posted info about another way to mod the flybar.

Question, how do you like the new layout I converted the FAQ to?[/QUOTE]

Oustanding job, SP! Very clear, easy to find what one's looking for. There isn't anyone interested in these little beasts who won't benefit.Thanks for the time and effort!

Three or four years ago, over on the coax forum, someone had similar ambitions for the Lama V4. He didn't really know how to moderate it, didn't update it very often, and eventually disappeared from the scene. The thread, however, lived on, and must still be useful to new owners of the V4 - still selling, even if it is a bit stone age. It would have been useful, though, if he'd handed over moderating ability to someone else before moving on.

As you are the only one who can update it, I hope you realise how dependent on you we are! Although, of course, no pressure!
Did I mention all this pressure made me decide to go on a sabbatical the next week, to a tropical island somewhere in the Pacific, where there's no means of communication besides a trained pidgeon?

I am glad my efforts are appreciated. Like I mentioned before, it is not the main reason for starting this thread, but it does help sticking with it.

Goals for the future are including info about the Bravo SX as well, since it shares a lot with the Solo Pro, even though it flies much differently. Don't worry, I will try to keep this thread active and up to date for as long as I can.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:14 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,025 Posts
Re-wrote the part where EPA is explained, and also added a picture to show where the battery wires go.

Plus changed the title of the topic to make more clear it also starts to hold info about the Bravo SX.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:19 PM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,308 Posts
You should ad "remove the right servo mounting before soldering" - that's important, cause otherwise you easiliy damage the mounting. Additionally it is much easier to put the soldering iron from the servo mount side to the correct position (from the other side you can easily damage wires, etc.)

"Right servo mounting" = the right when you look at the front side of the rx (so left servo in heli).

And:
I told you - observe the rules, when using my pics. You did not do this. Do it, or remove my pics.

Walter
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe