HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:21 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Might as well delete everything in this thread then and just leave these 2 constructive comments...

Luckily I am not easily drawn into a flame war between helis, seen that, been there, know it will never come to anything good. So, there are a few things to observe. First, fhe V911 might never have been made had it not been for the Solo Pro 260. WL needed a design they could clone, and improve upon.

Second, it's hard to say whay heli is better than any other, as it depends on what you like best in it. You can say that a certain heli will shine more in a certain aspect of flight, and even then, the variation in quality among these mass produced helis tends to cloud things. The best approach is to value each heli's character, or more, it's general character, as the above mentioned variation can make a difference.

Generally, the 270 is very smooth and stable. In stock form it's indeed slower than the 260, but... if you fit a receiver that has the same servo throw as the 260, things are much, much different. For some odd reason the throw on quite a few receivers of the 270 has been limited and it's holding the heli back. The difference can be so much that "expert mode" on the 270 will yield the same throw as "beginner mode" on the 260, when you use the dual rates.

@Oxygen: I can partially subscribe to the advice that a V911 could be an option, as most of it's construction will be very familiar to what you already know, and it's a good flyer. But it won't fly the same as the 260, which is lighter, and the general feeling is that it feels more agile as a result. Someone described his 260 as a "dancer" which seems to capture it's flight behaviour very well. The V911 is heavier, has a different weight balance, and on such small helis, this makes a big difference. If you can spare the money, I'd say, get both. There is nothing that makes this hobby more entertaining than having different helis to fly. Besides, you can always have one cooling down, as you fly the other.

By the way, we're not talking about dramatic head spead differences here. These only come into play with CP helis.

Lastly, why is you current 260 approaching "retirement"?
You can roll your eyes all you want, & you don't have to like it but it is in fact a constructive comment. Not everyone feels the way you do about your beloved Solo Pro's or the way I do about my v911's. But the fact remains a v911 is a very viable alternative for him even though I didn't suggest it, I just agreed to it. But I wish I did suggest it! Because they are fan flippin' tastic!! So is the Helios 100 for that matter!
My comment was not meant to be a flame at all, or trying to start a "flame war" - just my own honest opinion. I own all three helis mentioned above and enjoy them very much. I also know that the v911's owe their very existence to the solo pro. But the similarities end there, the v911 is superior in every way! (IMHO) . My 270a was my long time number 2 favorite after my v911 and is still one of my favorites even though number 2 now goes to my Helios 100. The 270a is now my number 3 fave. All thruths being told though, the v911 (for me and many others) is better in every possible way there can be. Speed. durability, flybility & price. Even my 270a which I enjoy very much is brittle and requires flybars and canopies on occasion. My v911's have a big bag of spares going unused since I bought them with the heli. My solo pro spares for the 270a and 260a get used far more quickly. That may not be someone eles's experience but it is ( MY ) experience. Also I do agree with what you said about getting both, they both fly differently and teach you different flying styles, and as you said it's more entertaining flying different helis that have different characteristics. Personally I wasn't able to move forward in my flying until the v911 and 270a came along. the 260a was just too squirrelly for me to handle well as a beginner but I did enjoy going back to it after I gleaned more experience from the 270a & v911. Although now she rarely gets flown at all. The other heli's are just too much fun (for me) I also stand by what I said above to the gentleman with one small difference. Of course these are stock with no mods...
Speed (260a)
stability (270a)
best of both worlds - way more speed & agility plus added durability (v911) & (Helios 100)
again this is only my personal opinion and in no way meant to start any kind of war or anything. Just trying to give the guy some advice as I see it.
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Last edited by BlueHavoc; Sep 20, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:49 PM
Flight cadet
The Netherlands, OV, Enschede
Joined Jul 2012
278 Posts
@BlueHavoc thanks for this constructive argument for the V911 :-)
Do you have tips where I can get one (cheapest) so I can buy both (& 270) :-)
oxygen is online now Find More Posts by oxygen
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Hi Guys,

I was having problem with my Solo Pro 2, the problem is turning my heli around to the left is a bit slow, but turning around to the right is ok and fast, tried using my space tail set still giving the same result, tried adjusting the setting on the transmitter and the adjustment using the button located on the bottom of the transmitter.

Anyone having this same issue and knows the fix?
nathan1028 is offline Find More Posts by nathan1028
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,533 Posts
@Nathan: Is your tail trim very much off-center when you look at the display of the transmitter? This can cause uneven tail response. If the tail trim is more than just a few clicks away from the center, try the subtrim method for the tail hold. This ensures the tail will stay still with the trim centered. You may have to add a few clicks left or right depending on different batteries, but that won't affect response noticably.

@Oxygen: Please try the special V911 deals thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1601655

Sales and deals for the Solo Pro helis aren't even discussed here, as this thread is oriented on technical matters, so we sure don't go posting deals for other helis here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
You can roll your eyes all you want, & you don't have to like it but it is in fact a constructive comment. Not everyone feels the way you do about your beloved Solo Pro's or the way I do about my v911's. But the fact remains a v911 is a very viable alternative for him even though I didn't suggest it, I just agreed to it. But I wish I did suggest it! Because they are fan flippin' tastic!! So is the Helios 100 for that matter!
My comment was not meant to be a flame at all, or trying to start a "flame war" - just my own honest opinion. I own all three helis mentioned above and enjoy them very much. I also know that the v911's owe their very existence to the solo pro. But the similarities end there, the v911 is superior in every way! (IMHO) . My 270a was my long time number 2 favorite after my v911 and is still one of my favorites even though number 2 now goes to my Heliois 100. The 270a is now my number 3 fave. All thruths being told though, the v911 (for me and many others) is better in every possible way there can be. Speed. durability, flybility & price. Even my 270a which I enjoy very much is brittle and requires flybars and canopies on occasion. My v911's have a big bag of spares going unused since I bought them with the heli. My solo pro spares for the 270a and 260a get used far more quickly. That may not be someone eles's experience but it is( MY ) experience. Also I do agree with what you said about getting both, they both fly differently and teach you different flying styles, and as you said it's more entertaining flying different helis that have different characteristics. Personally I wasn't able to move forward in my flying until the v911 and 270a came along. the 260a was just too squirrelly for me to handle well as a beginner but I did enjoy going back to it after I gleaned more experience from the 270a & v911. Although now she rarely gets flown at all. The other heli's are just too much fun (for me) I also stand by what I said above to the gentleman with one small difference. Of course these are stock with no mods...
Speed (260a)
stability (270a)
best of both worlds - way more speed & agility plus added durability (v911) & (Helios 100)
again this is only my personal opinion and in no way meant to start any kind of war or anything. Just trying to give the guy some advice as I see it.
I am not saying the V911 is not a viable option. If you read back a few messages you can read that I did call the V911 an option and a "good flyer".

I understand you didn't intend to start a flame war, but dropping a remark stating the V911 is better than any Solo Pro, how does that contribute in any constructive way to this thread? Are you serious about that? Such remarks can easily develop into a flame war of fans of either side. You are entitled to have your personal favorites, and state that one heli is superior to another heli, but not in this thread.

How would you like it if someone that really likes a Solo Pro would start posting in the V911 thread that the Solo Pro 260 or whatever Nine Eagles product is in my opinion superior in every aspect to the heli that thread is about? Would that be considered constructive? Besides, if you read the first posting in this thread, it is clearly stated the intention of this thread is to discuss technical matters about this heli. Not what are alternatives, not where the best deal can be found on it, nor what is the best sub micro 34 degree flybarred FP or whatever. It's a FAQ thread, and a mere advice to just go buy a different type/brand of heli just isn't what this thread is for. I hope this is clear. Nothing personal, just staying ontopic.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Sep 20, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:32 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
@BlueHavoc thanks for this constructive argument for the V911 :-)
Do you have tips where I can get one (cheapest) so I can buy both (& 270) :-)
My pleasure, BangGood has the best price on the v911 RTF but be prepared for a long wait if you go that route. Hobby King sells the V911 rebranded as the FP100 (same exact heli). And also carries the SP270a at a very reasonable price. So you could get them both there if you wish. I believe Myrcmart.com has both of them as well and they test every heli before shipping. The Shipping is more at HK & MRCM but you will get them faster compared to BG. Also if you get the 270a buy several extra flybars and tail Boom/ motor mounts. The flybars and tail motor mounts are fragile and I've used almost all of my spares for both and I bought several of each. My canopy was very brittle also and got several cracks very quickly. My 260a never had that problem. Other than that , good luck & enjoy your new heli's!
Last edited by BlueHavoc; Sep 20, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
@Nathan: Is your tail trim very much off-center when you look at the display of the transmitter? This can cause uneven tail response. If the tail trim is more than just a few clicks away from the center, try the subtrim method for the tail hold. This ensures the tail will stay still with the trim centered. You may have to add a few clicks left or right depending on different batteries, but that won't affect response noticably.

@Oxygen: Please try the special V911 deals thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1601655

Sales and deals for the Solo Pro helis aren't even discussed here, as this thread is oriented on technical matters, so we sure don't go posting deals for other helis here.

I am not saying the V911 is not a viable option. If you read back a few messages you can read that I did call the V911 an option and a "good flyer".

I understand you didn't intend to start a flame war, but dropping a remark stating the V911 is better than any Solo Pro, how does that contribute in any constructive way to this thread? Are you serious about that? Such remarks can easily develop into a flame war of fans of either side. You are entitled to have your personal favorites, and state that one heli is superior to another heli, but not in this thread.

How would you like it if someone that really likes a Solo Pro would start posting in the V911 thread that the Solo Pro 260 or whatever Nine Eagles product is in my opinion superior in every aspect to the heli that thread is about? Would that be considered constructive? Besides, if you read the first posting in this thread, it is clearly stated the intention of this thread is to discuss technical matters about this heli. Not what are alternatives, not where the best deal can be found on it, nor what is the best sub micro 34 degree flybarred FP or whatever. It's a FAQ thread, and a mere advice to just go buy a different type/brand of heli just isn't what this thread is for. I hope this is clear. Nothing personal, just staying ontopic.
I agree with everything you just said my friend, sorry for getting off topic somewhat!
Last edited by BlueHavoc; Sep 20, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
Flight cadet
The Netherlands, OV, Enschede
Joined Jul 2012
278 Posts
I thank you both for all the answers and made it clear to me I have to order them both :-)
oxygen is online now Find More Posts by oxygen
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:48 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
I thank you both for all the answers and made it clear to me I have to order them both :-)
I think you will enjoy them both very much!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Sep 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
Has anyone done a motor thurst test (using a single heli)?
I searched the thread and found references to people kinda doing it, but no actual data.

I was going to do the test tonight, but my scale broke. ANd I dont' have a bravo sx to compare.

I have a V911.

Comparing others to stock V911:

I bought a Bravo SX and it was "better" (better being more thrust), flight time about the same.
Motor life short. Expensive (compared to others).

I bought some 270 motors. Barely gets the V911 off the ground.
No oomph at all.
Will kinda fly 5 minutes, but can barely accelerate vertically.

Then there's the "new" V911 that some say has the power of the Bravo SX at lower price.

So is the concensus that the Bravo SX is the best, even for other craft?
I often think the designers picked "the best" combination of stuff they could find...
I did some testing of the Stock V911, New "yellow" V911 and V911 with SP720 motor.

See post is interested: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12839
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:12 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,533 Posts
Interesting. The thrust initially is quite similar, except the 270 motor doesn't drop thrust as much as the other motors as time progresses. Perhaps it doesn't heat up as fast as the other motors?

As for the lack of "oompf", a gram or so more of weight can make a big difference on these light helis. I can already feel the difference between a 260 with HK 120 battery, and the about 0.7 gram heavier 160 mAh, battery, despite that the 160 has higher discharge rate.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:11 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,292 Posts
Thanks for sharing Rickster.

Like SoloProFan, on my modded 9958, because we've been through so much mods...I can definitely feel the lost "oompf" when you add weight. It just doesn't have the same punch out or climb rate. That single gram "weights more" so to speak the closer you get to the max threshold the heli can lift.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:56 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,989 Posts
When I bought my 260A I was a new flyer and quickly broke L/Gear twice. Ordered set of Xtreme l/g and no more problems. I did repair stock l/g and it will not break again. Never liked this bird until I took it to our clubhouse. They had just replaced carpet and hall was empty. Took 260A set it on hi-rate and flew the snot out of it. Handled just fine and started to like it. Litlle bird is very fast and turns on a dime.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:13 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdock View Post
New mods
In my experience the Bravo motor does add some oomph but you also need to upgrade the battery to take full advantage.

regards . . . g

Here is mine. This little beast is very fast but still a touch underpowered for the weight.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:58 PM
South Africa, KZN, PMB
Joined Apr 2012
107 Posts
shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
In my experience the Bravo motor does add some oomph but you also need to upgrade the battery to take full advantage.

regards . . . g

Here is mine. This little beast is very fast but still a touch underpowered for the weight.
Must order me 1. Been a bit busy lately. Have a 150 mah bat.......its starting to get week also, (getting old).....what size Bat u suggest?
merdock is offline Find More Posts by merdock