HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy F View Post
I usually just take it out of the trans when blinking. The first 3-4 charges it just stopped glowing with no blinking. Sometimes if I forget to keep an eye on it, it will be dark. I'll call Revell to see what they say, hate to give misleading info for the FAQ. Well, I called them-- they said blinking was not good. But I have no puffing or swelling. One battery seems to have less punch than the other. I'll have to now be more attentive to see if one always blinks and the other not. I am going to number the batts so I can tell them apart. It seems to me that the blinking means almost charged--- could they be mistaken?
Here is the Email I received when I inquired about the fact my charge light was flashing. I have emailed Lennie again asking him why revell is giving conflicting information and if he can get this issue cleared up.
Hello,
When the indicator is flashing, the battery should be fully charged.
Sincerely,
Lennie M.
Product Support Technician
PS9013

Hobby Services
3002 North Apollo Drive
Suite #1
Champaign, IL 61822

Here is the response to the email I sent today.
Hello,

If the charge indicator on the back of the transmitter flashes or turns off after charging for 20 to 40 minutes (the normal time to recharge the battery) the battery is charged. If the charge indicator flashes immediately there may be a problem with the battery or the charger.
Sincerely,
Lennie M.
Product Support
PS9013
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Last edited by jtravel; Jan 11, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:36 PM
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtybar View Post
ugh...so I finally get the battery cut down so it will fit...installed all my Bravo SX parts...booted it up for the maiden flight and now it just spins and spins in circles. Anything I should look at?

Problem #2...looks like I'm having that problem again...where nothing happens when I try use the controls that would normally make the heli fly forward and backward...the servo is silent...except on rare/erratic occasion when it works for a second and then stops working again.

I haven't been able to fly this thing in about a week.
im not an expert, but were you messing around in the sub trim menus? if you go to far, the servos wil lock up.
do the servos look like they are really high?
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:52 PM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
Quote:
ugh...so I finally get the battery cut down so it will fit...installed all my Bravo SX parts...booted it up for the maiden flight and now it just spins and spins in circles. Anything I should look at?

Problem #2...looks like I'm having that problem again...where nothing happens when I try use the controls that would normally make the heli fly forward and backward...the servo is silent...except on rare/erratic occasion when it works for a second and then stops working again.

I haven't been able to fly this thing in about a week.
Does the servo motor get hot?
Wayno-san is offline Find More Posts by Wayno-san
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:03 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediarocker View Post
SP, The battery that came with my Proto Max blinked in the TX, and it Blinked in the Nine Eagles charger, I bought another Proto Max battery from HobbyTown and it always gave me a SOLID charge light when it was fully charged. After 10-15 flights it now blinks in the charger.

It makes no sense. It still has a good bit of charge in it... I am completely confused.
Perhaps the metal contact strips have been gotten a little dirty so the contact with the charger terminals is not optimal? It would help if someone started checking voltages on a battery. Sometimes a bad battery betrays itself because it won't reach 4.20V any more, and this voltage usually drop even further after letting the battery rest after charging.

But you are saying that even in the NE wall charger the led turns to solid when the Proto Max battery is charged? That's odd, the light should go off on that charger when a lipo is full.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:25 AM
Joined Nov 2004
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post

Here is the response to the email I sent today.
Hello,

If the charge indicator on the back of the transmitter flashes or turns off after charging for 20 to 40 minutes (the normal time to recharge the battery) the battery is charged. If the charge indicator flashes immediately there may be a problem with the battery or the charger.
Sincerely,
Lennie M.
Product Support
PS9013
This seems to be what my batteries and charger are doing, as best as I can tell. I just consider flashing and off as the same thing (charged), if it's been charging for 20+ minutes.
Rudy F is offline Find More Posts by Rudy F
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:39 AM
Professional Proto-crasher
Madison, Alabama
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Perhaps the metal contact strips have been gotten a little dirty so the contact with the charger terminals is not optimal? It would help if someone started checking voltages on a battery. Sometimes a bad battery betrays itself because it won't reach 4.20V any more, and this voltage usually drop even further after letting the battery rest after charging.

But you are saying that even in the NE wall charger the led turns to solid when the Proto Max battery is charged? That's odd, the light should go off on that charger when a lipo is full.
I'm sorry, I made a mistake. The charger light does indeed go out once charging is completed! However, whenever I insert the other battery which always flashed in my TX, It flashed on the charger. I bought a second battery expecting the first one to be damaged, and it charged in the Nine Eagles charger with the light going out after 25 or so minutes. I never had it flash with this new battery until recently after it's ~15th cycle.

When the majority of the snow clears I'm going to go buy another battery. I'll break out my multimeter and do some measurements and try to see if I can get to the bottom of this.

I'm also going to try cleaning the contacts.
Mediarocker is offline Find More Posts by Mediarocker
Last edited by Mediarocker; Jan 12, 2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:34 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
a bad battery betrays itself because it won't reach 4.20V any more, and this voltage usually drop even further after letting the battery rest after charging.
In the case of my Proto Max battery it varies between 4.19 & 4.20 volts.
If I pull the battery when it starts blinking it reads 4.19 volts.
If I let it sit on the charger untill the light goes out it reads 4.2 volts.
Blinking or off the Proto Max battery can be considered as having a Full charge and nothing to worry about.

If the proto Max battery blinks right away when its discharged you likely have a serious battery problem and need to replace it.
Personally I wouldn't buy any replacement proto Max batteries when you can get better 120 mah OEM batteries from Hobby King for $1.29 each.
You can get five shipped for about the cost of 1 Proto Max battery.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:32 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,651 Posts
Quote:
The servos look in a normal position.

Besides that issue I think my main issue is why the heli is just spinning in circles...
Clockwise or counter clockwise?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
Clockwise or counter clockwise?
Clockwise
Newtybar is offline Find More Posts by Newtybar
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:54 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,651 Posts
Quote:
Clockwise
That means the tail works too hard. If you can't trim the tail in normal mode, enter subtrim mode. Put the heli on a flat surface, and throttle up to 10% or so. The heli will stay on the ground, and in your case spin around. Trim the tail until you get it so stay steady. Leave subtrim mode again, and try to fly. Perhaps you might need a few extra clicks to hold the tail steady, since in the air things are not fully the same as on the ground, but all should be okay now.

Edit: added a clear picture of how to attach the tail to the FAQ. Thanks Daryoon for the picture.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 13, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:55 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Feb 2007
310 Posts
SoloPro - do you know if the larger radio supplied with the Kestrel has a SAVE MODEL feature so you would not have to reset trims for each NE heli you own?

I have looked everywhere I can think of online and no mention is made - so I have to presume it does not - or else they would be making a big deal of it.
bbking9 is offline Find More Posts by bbking9
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:26 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
SoloPro - do you know if the larger radio supplied with the Kestrel has a SAVE MODEL feature so you would not have to reset trims for each NE heli you own?

I have looked everywhere I can think of online and no mention is made - so I have to presume it does not - or else they would be making a big deal of it.
As far as I know it has no model memory. Nine Eagles is about to release a new TX that seems to have much more features: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370319
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:57 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,232 Posts
Why????

Hi all, first post about the Solo Pro for me
2 Quick things, firstly, @ SoloPro, keep it up mate, it is great to see someone who takes the time to really get into a model and help everyone who needs or or asks Extra portion of respect because (I think) English is not your mother tongue. Second point, why do so many people talk about how to 'improve' this model??? It is fantastic as it is!!!!! It will never be a full blown 3D model but who wants it to be??? It is rock stable flying in the living room and a great step up from a coax and when the wind is right down it rocks outside!!! Add to this that it tough as you could want and costs next to nothing. Leave it alone cos it is pretty near perfect out of the box
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:13 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Hi all, first post about the Solo Pro for me
2 Quick things, firstly, @ SoloPro, keep it up mate, it is great to see someone who takes the time to really get into a model and help everyone who needs or or asks Extra portion of respect because (I think) English is not your mother tongue. Second point, why do so many people talk about how to 'improve' this model??? It is fantastic as it is!!!!! It will never be a full blown 3D model but who wants it to be??? It is rock stable flying in the living room and a great step up from a coax and when the wind is right down it rocks outside!!! Add to this that it tough as you could want and costs next to nothing. Leave it alone cos it is pretty near perfect out of the box
Thanks, glad to see my efforts appreciated and useful. And indeed, English is not my native language, although I am very involved with the English language during my daily work.

I agree, this is a fine heli, I don't recall a single moment regretting getting it. And at the moment my main Solo Pro is completely stock, although it consists of parts of 3 different helis (tail rotor from the Solo Pro I, head, linkages and blades from a Bravo SX, and the rest is a Solo Pro V1. But even though it flies fine now, it is not perfect. One thing that even I would like to improve is the response on rudder. The extra elevator you need to steer to compensate unwanted movement does get second nature after a while, but after flying a heli that hasn't got this, the Bravo SX, and then getting back, it is a little strange. Outside it's no real issue, but in a small living room, it makes a big difference. And the flybar strikes are something that really needs some work. Apart from that, quality control issues set aside, I think it performs very well for it's price point. For instance, the motors are so durable other people are fitting them to their ultra micro foam planes, to get better performance.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:27 PM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy511 View Post
my friend crashed his really hard, and now the heli will not bind to his receiver anymore. he did the whole calibration of the sticks to get out of being stuck with 3 lines on his TX, but his helicopter still will not bind.
tomorrow i will go over to his house and try to bind it with my Tx, but i wont know until tomorrow if that will work or not.
do you have any ideas/advice on what to do?
Try your TX to eliminate that and make sure he is not making a mistake when he tries to bind.
If that does not fix it
Make sure the 5 in 1 board is getting power from the battery.
Does the blue light on the board come on when the battery is inserted?
The 5 in 1 board may have been damaged in the crash.
Solo will be around to give you more help soon I'm sure.