HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:26 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Discussion
Ikarus Enthusiast Thread, Eco 8, Eco 16, Royal

Well I havent seen anyone else decide to do a thread like this, so I thought I would kick it off!

I bought a Stock Eco 8 as my first ccpm helicopter. I didnt have much for electronics so I slaped an intigy 35T rock crawler brushed motor, a Jet 300 ESC with lipo cut off. And a 3 cell 2200mah lipo.

And you know what, ugly and under powered, it worked. It flew for over 10mins at a time. It plugged right along. Untill one day I got brave and tryed to do a loop, heres the video....
Eco 8 CRASH (0 min 46 sec)

Later on I would expand my collection, I found a nice shelf queen that lived in Florida. A very nice gentleman that posts on rcgroups owned it. I traded him so electronics and soon it was mine.

Instead of going with a large 4 cell I decided to go wild and bought a 2600mah 22.2v 6 cell. Unfortunitly the rotor speed was to great and she exploded on maiden. I rebuilt her, and she became a shelf queen.

Untill recently I had lost intrest in crashing another expensive helicopter. I would rather fly my Trex 450, loops, rolls, high flying fun.

But then I stumbled on craigs list. 3 hours from my house there was the ultimate Eco 8. All carbon, RTF, test flown once. Brushless, metal gear servos, GY-401 Gyro. Everything! I contacted the owner, met him half way, and traded a T-maxx for it.

So that brings me to my build. It also came with a Bell 222 body . Enjoy the pictures!

P.S. and to all you owners (and past owners) of Eco 7's, Eco 8's, Eco 16's, and Royals, please post!
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:48 PM
Pain? I know pain!
Weldon Spring, Missouri
Joined Mar 2005
1,517 Posts
I had an Eco with every upgrade part. Full carbon fiber and red aluminum. All top shelf stuff that i got for one hell of a deal. I decided to overpower it thanks to a bunch of dorks online (that's what I get for listening to the wrong peeps!) and not knowing any better and my heli exploded. Of course with brand new blades and battery. I parted it out on E-bay and made more money than I paid for everything, including the lipos. Bought a Swift and a ton of extra parts and never looked back.

They just don't compare to what's out there these days but man was it light and flew light too.

Enjoy your toys.

Tom
litespeed is offline Find More Posts by litespeed
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:16 AM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
If Im not mistaken, the Swift's have an almost identical head design as the Eco's
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Finished primeing the body today. Going to put the back half of the fuse and tail on and mount them for good
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
I got everything set up and took it out for a flight. Im sure I will have to re-tune the gyro when the Bell 222 body goes on. Even with the 10 cell Nimh it flew great, very quiet, it just floated around.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:18 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Great flying light heli. Get two 6 minute flights on a 4s 3700 battery. Flies great, even moderately aerobatic. Just a shame you cant get parts anymore. One more good crash and I will probably be done. Just a shame as it flies so good. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:57 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45cn View Post
Great flying light heli. Get two 6 minute flights on a 4s 3700 battery. Flies great, even moderately aerobatic. Just a shame you cant get parts anymore. One more good crash and I will probably be done. Just a shame as it flies so good. Jim
I think you can order parts directly from Ikarus? But I havent yet so Im not sure
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:09 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by That can fly?!? View Post
I think you can order parts directly from Ikarus? But I havent yet so Im not sure
No, you can't. Tried. Won't ship to the US. Unless they open up a new distributor, no parts. Jim
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:24 PM
United Kingdom, England, Leicester
Joined Feb 2009
31 Posts
Guy's, their website lists the below as distributors, unless its outdated?

North America

Greatplanes

Model Distribution Compan

2904 Research Road

Champaign/IL61826 9021

USA

Ph.: +1 (217) 3983630

Fax.: +1 (217) 3980008

http://www.greatplanes.com/

Hobbico

Hobby Corp. of America

2904 Research Road, PO Box 902

Champaign, Illinois 61826-9021

USA

Ph.: +1 (217) 3983630

Fax.: +1 (217) 3980008

Web: http://www.hobbico.com/
wiggly bob is offline Find More Posts by wiggly bob
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:47 PM
Quit asking ???s, get a Quark!
On a 20ft ladder with a 20ft stick beating an airplane out of a tree. In Spokane, WA.
Joined Oct 2006
715 Posts
FX aeromodels still has Eco parts

http://www.fxaeromodels.com/index.ph...h=49_362_50_55

My Eco16 threw a blade and grenaded itself about 3 years ago. It was far too damaged to rebuild. I bought a swift16 and found that the parts were quite a bit cheaper.

Da Wolf
wetwolf is offline Find More Posts by wetwolf
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:39 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwolf View Post
FX aeromodels still has Eco parts

http://www.fxaeromodels.com/index.ph...h=49_362_50_55

My Eco16 threw a blade and grenaded itself about 3 years ago. It was far too damaged to rebuild. I bought a swift16 and found that the parts were quite a bit cheaper.

Da Wolf
Nope. FX is all out of stock. Also, the Hobbico thing is a dud. The only thing they were going to sell was Aerofly anyway. The only hope is that they are now selling the Aerofly out of Fort Myers Fla., close to where I live. I am going to check out the new address to see if they have anything else. jIm
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:45 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,631 Posts
It is a shame Ikarus is so messed up on the retail end. They had the "500" market cornered for many years. Fun heli's to fly.
Greybird is online now Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:29 AM
Quit asking ???s, get a Quark!
On a 20ft ladder with a 20ft stick beating an airplane out of a tree. In Spokane, WA.
Joined Oct 2006
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45cn View Post
Nope. FX is all out of stock. Also, the Hobbico thing is a dud. The only thing they were going to sell was Aerofly anyway. The only hope is that they are now selling the Aerofly out of Fort Myers Fla., close to where I live. I am going to check out the new address to see if they have anything else. jIm
Well, the last time i checked for Eco parts was 3 years ago.....
wetwolf is offline Find More Posts by wetwolf
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:59 AM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
haha nice.

Well Im almost finished painting my fuse. Im not sure what to do, I did a 2 tone, black and silver. But how do I make the windows stand out
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:27 AM
New Zealand
Joined Mar 2001
206 Posts
unless you cut the windows out and put some windshields/windows in there(usually premolded with the kit you are going to have to settle for a simulated look by painting or even using viny sign writers material.
will p is offline Find More Posts by will p