SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:36 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Discussion
Bondo

Does Bondo and the hardener have a shelf life?
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:55 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Does Bondo and the hardener have a shelf life?
about a year i think......just gotta mix it before you use it.....it does seperate.....just keep the lid on tight.....

joe
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:02 PM
Joined Apr 2008
75 Posts
I have had the same can of body filler for over 2 years and its just as good aas when I bought it. That said 3M says 1 year. http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...SevTSeSSSSSS--
boatsv is offline Find More Posts by boatsv
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:09 PM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
492 Posts
Well sealed it can last for years. If it gets hard you can stir it and add some Plastic Honey

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/pr...product=FE1249

The hardener goes bad more quickly; I find once it gets dry it is better to get a fresh tube.

Kurt
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:14 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphoto View Post
Well sealed it can last for years. If it gets hard you can stir it and add some Plastic Honey

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/pr...product=FE1249

The hardener goes bad more quickly; I find once it gets dry it is better to get a fresh tube.

Kurt
thanks kurt.....ya beat me to it.....
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:55 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. The Bondo that I have is about two years old. It was separated a bit and I mixed it up till it seemed ok. However the hardener is very fluid and I thought it may be too old to use. Isn't it supposed to be more like a paste? Mine is not thick at all and I noticed the stuff I'm putting on the boat doesn't get really hard. It's difficult to sand as the paper fills up with the bondo fast and gets all clumpy rather than sanding down smoothly.
Can you buy just the hardener? Will HD have it do you think? Pete
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:03 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,133 Posts
Try kneading the hardener in the tube prior to using it. Auto paint supply would have hardener.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:05 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Oh I did that already. It still is watery. Do you think I need to get new hardener?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:10 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,133 Posts
Yup...
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:16 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,133 Posts
I use Evercoat, the hardener separates in the tube and gets watery. After a few minutes of kneading it turns to paste and works fine.

Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:41 AM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
492 Posts
You can purchase the hardener separately for sure from stores that supply the automotive paint trade. Probably other places too. I like the smaller tubes, which come in three colors that I know about, red, blue and less commonly, white (which I don't use). It's nice to have red and blue so you can see the layers in your filler as you sand them.

I agree with Woodybob that Evercoat polyester glazing putty is one of the best products to use for our purposes, as it is milled finer than regular Bondo. The company makes it in various types, including one which is like soft frosting and very useful for filling small areas quickly.

I have a small page on working with these products if anyone is interested:

http://wmunderway.8m.com/cont/putty/putty.htm

Kurt
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:33 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Good link there Kurt. Thanks for posting it. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Nov 12, 2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:05 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Nov 2009
543 Posts
Left some hardener in the garage over the winter, Come spring it was watery and kinda grainey, wouldn't mix back together. I don't think it freezes well. The bondo itself seemed fine, just gave it a stir. Worked fine with new hardener.
siberianhusky is offline Find More Posts by siberianhusky
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:27 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
Technically, polyester cures when exposed to air... it just takes a loooong time. The hardener is a catalyst that speeds up the reaction, which is why Bondo and polyester resins give off heat as they cure. Bondo should last for years and years, especially if you bag the can and push out all the extra air after each use.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:55 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
Is it the resin or the hardener that goes bad first? I have a quart of Sig polyester resin (almost full) from 1995, and as a test I mixed a small batch in a cup. Nothing happened in a few hours, so I dumped in a bunch more catalyst. Still nothing. A week later it is still very runny. What are my chances of saving this can of resin? I use epoxy and CA for most everything, but it would be handy to have a little polyester around for certain tasks.
And has anyone tried Bondo-Glass, Short Strand Fiberglass Filler? I found it at my local Home Depot. It is thick, and cures in five minutes. I tested that too on some scraps, and it seems to work well for making fillets where strength is needed. It is not easy to sand, as you would imagine. My test showed excellent adhesion wood to wood, wood to ABS, and ABS to ABS. It was only a small test and I am a bit apprehensive about using it on a project.
Does anyone have a battery of tests they like to perform to 'qualify' new products before they get used in important stuff?

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave