HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:27 AM
Joined Sep 2008
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
Hi, How can I check the firmware versions of my bits and bob in mk tools please?

thanks

Josh
This may sound funny, but you can do it in MKTools. Just look at the 'LCD' screen in MKTools and it shows the version for every device.

Click on Flight Controller, Navi, GPS, etc. Don't worry, you can't break anything just looking.
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:44 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3mw View Post
This may sound funny, but you can do it in MKTools. Just look at the 'LCD' screen in MKTools and it shows the version for every device.

Click on Flight Controller, Navi, GPS, etc. Don't worry, you can't break anything just looking.
lol, i was connecting a bl2 on its own via mkusb but did not notice that it said the fw in the lcd screen,
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Dec 2005
676 Posts
Quote:
lol, i was connecting a bl2 on its own via mkusb but did not notice that it said the fw in the lcd screen,
Connect the ESC to MKUSB, but don't power it yet (jumper removed). Open MK tools and click 'Software Update & Terminal' button. After the black window appears, power up the ESC (insert the jumper ). Software version and ESC number will then be displayed on the screen. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick
nikivan is offline Find More Posts by nikivan
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:46 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikivan View Post
Connect the ESC to MKUSB, but don't power it yet (jumper removed). Open MK tools and click 'Software Update & Terminal' button. After the black window appears, power up the ESC (insert the jumper ). Software version and ESC number will then be displayed on the screen. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick
Thank you so much, that is just what I needed to know
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined Sep 2008
700 Posts
Quote:
Thank you so much, that is just what I needed to know
You can also read the esc via mkusb, but you have to use the side 10 pin connector and then come up with an edge connector to talk to the ESC by itself.

This is the only way you can update the ESC firmware and check the addressing (if you needed to be sure).
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Mar 01, 2011, 02:22 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
You can also read the esc via mkusb, but you have to use the side 10 pin connector and then come up with an edge connector to talk to the ESC by itself.

This is the only way you can update the ESC firmware and check the addressing (if you needed to be sure).
its what I did using Nikivans method to check

can you do something similar with the mag or does it need an extra 5v connection or something?

cheers

Josh
Old Mar 01, 2011, 02:58 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
628 Posts
Quote:

Mikrokopter does claim they test every piece of hardware twice before they ship it.
Yes I read that also, but I think experience suggests that they do not. I would suggest to MK that they put a sticker on the parts that they were teted, and seal the part in an appropriate electrostatic bag. Though I do agree with you that ESD is way over-rated by these guys. Also We would not be tackling MK builds if we did not have built up skills and precautions with our work.

Regardng Zoltan, I have bought all my FPV stuff from him before I got into MKs and He is definitely one of a kind. Great guy and great service, but if he can't resell parts after MK returns it then his hand are tied.

My concern is that even with checking for DOA - I doubt they will believe the customer .

would be happy to see a north american repair/replacement depot Rusty - Are you sure you don't want to deal with this stuff

anyway enough on this issue lets get back to Flying and aerial photos. but new customers be aware !!

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Mar 01, 2011, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,382 Posts
Quote:
its what I did using Nikivans method to check

can you do something similar with the mag or does it need an extra 5v connection or something?

cheers

Josh
Josh, I just installed my nav, mag and gps boards(mag attached to nav board). I removed the 10 and 5 pin ribbon cables from the FC. I used the 5v jumper on the MKusb and hooked it up to the 10 pin debug of the nav board. Now you can check the FW of the mag and nav boards, pressing each button. I left mine this way for a day to charge the GPS battery. I was able to get 9 sats locked in my basement this way. I needed to update my nav FW, so I hooked it all up, as if going flying, powered up with my flight bat. I then updated the FW on the nav board(jumper on usb removed!). Not sure if you can update the nav and mag boards, hooked up alone to MK tools.

Brian.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Mar 01, 2011, 03:47 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
Josh, I just installed my nav, mag and gps boards(mag attached to nav board). I removed the 10 and 5 pin ribbon cables from the FC. I used the 5v jumper on the MKusb and hooked it up to the 10 pin debug of the nav board. Now you can check the FW of the mag and nav boards, pressing each button. I left mine this way for a day to charge the GPS battery. I was able to get 9 sats locked in my basement this way. I needed to update my nav FW, so I hooked it all up, as if going flying, powered up with my flight bat. I then updated the FW on the nav board(jumper on usb removed!). Not sure if you can update the nav and mag boards, hooked up alone to MK tools.

Brian.
Cheers so you nav mag and gps were getting power only from the mk usb? I will do that then, the wiki is somewhat vague and a bit out of date on some matters
Old Mar 01, 2011, 07:42 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,952 Posts
josh you can just plug in your battery to power these boards and check them all.. once MK tools sees the FC it will turn off the beeper so there is no need to even turn on your TX

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:38 AM
Randburg
Joined Jul 2008
343 Posts
Very Lucky

I was out on the weekend seing how high I could fly I start to loose nerve at just over 110m(350feet), I don't how much higher one can go without loosing orientation without using FPV. I flew six batteries.

I was going through my MK the next day and touched one of the Caps and it sparked!!!
Turns out the leg was broken at the solder joint and was only just making contact..

This explains a funny sound I was hearing but could not figure out what it was. I have had no crashes or hard landings so I resoldered and hot glued the things in place.

Someone else was talking about this here, and I now think it is a good idea to glue the caps for added support.
Ryan Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Thomas
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Oct 2010
241 Posts
Hi Ryan,

I had one leg of a cap break on the bottom side, it froze the entire I2C and brought the mikrokopter to a mid-air standstill! Luckily it started with some hitches so I got it down to about 2m before it had a heart attack

I just put a lot of extra solder on the broken one. Can only hope it doesn't happen to the other caps though. I did ensure the MK was getting less bumps in transport though.

If you keep it on GPS hold you should be able to go to the moon and back! You can always go down on almost no power...
hardhat is offline Find More Posts by hardhat
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:13 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined May 2010
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
josh you can just plug in your battery to power these boards and check them all.. once MK tools sees the FC it will turn off the beeper so there is no need to even turn on your TX

Steve
The buzzer should go off like crazy, if you don't have your tx on. It will alert for missing RC link otherwise
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:04 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,952 Posts
nope it won't, when you plug it into your computer it will ignore the fact you don't have an rc signal and be quiet. Hoever it will show an error in the MK tools that you don't have rc link...

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprod View Post
The buzzer should go off like crazy, if you don't have your tx on. It will alert for missing RC link otherwise
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:28 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined May 2010
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
nope it won't, when you plug it into your computer it will ignore the fact you don't have an rc signal and be quiet. Hoever it will show an error in the MK tools that you don't have rc link...

Steve
I guess that requires that you use 5 v from mkusb?
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod