HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:12 PM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastrome View Post
Hi and thank you for the information.

so if the MD1 is the best camera mount for my Hexa Copter for half price were can i get one?
can you please give me a link.

Thank you.
Hmm. I used the MD1 on my Hexa, This is saying they only have the MD2 now and that it works on the Hexa XL. Don't know if it will work on the standard Hexa, are the base plates the same dimension? Anyone know? Anyway here's the site, if you have questions ask Ziggy.
https://www.mikrokopter.us/shop/inde...product_id=155
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:03 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Quote:
That is very innovative design, I havenīt seen a similar one yet.

Are those aluminium square tubes 10x10mm?
yes, 10mm square / 1.0mm wall thickness.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:28 AM
Brisbane
Joined Jul 2009
35 Posts
Houston we have a problem

Sorry to hear about yours Eli

My Hexa just went down last weekend. Similar damage. Ouch
I'd like to know your circumstances.
I had just flown twice that morning. with a ContourHD camera. Camera survived.
From footage on 2nd flight, my motors stopped for a split second and restarted.
On the last flight, I was up 317m and after about 2 mins it just started coming down. Then I realized at about 200m it was upside down
I believe my battery level was OK. Still have 15.5V and all cells are pretty even. I think this is OK.
The REALLY weird thing was, the camera shut off BEFORE it went down. (The camera is not connected at all electronically. What the...?? So I couldn't even get the footage to CSI the scene.
Anyone with ideas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli View Post
Crushed my octo - nothing left, I know that probably those Board useless at least for me, if you think other than that feel free to offer any price in PM Iíll sale it to the higher BID , ???!!!maybe can be use as spare part .
Btw you can see the guilty ESC
PeterW67 is offline Find More Posts by PeterW67
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:33 AM
FPV Flyer
Madrid, Spain
Joined Mar 2006
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ChopperCam View Post
yes, 10mm square / 1.0mm wall thickness.
Seems like you have pulsos installed on the okto, how do you think the alumium behaves with those motors? Are they strong enough for the pulsos?

Iīm asking you this because I want to build an okto xl, but the 10x10x1 al, seems to be a bit weak for those motors. I probably end up with 12x12x1.
wavess is offline Find More Posts by wavess
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:33 AM
eli
Sderot, Israel
Joined Jan 2003
151 Posts
Crashed octo

Hi all thanks for all the support, what amazed me is that itís happened after almost 10 hours of flight, without any changes. It was my state of the art configuration frame octo2 esc BL2 camera mount mktr with brand new canon all gone

Working with mikrokoper hardware is not new to me, this is my number 5 ,and I helped to build few other for friends , this is clearly hardware failure, Iím going to do stress test to the rest of the ESC Ė BL2 , ill post my results for the next generation .
eli is offline Find More Posts by eli
Old Feb 18, 2011, 02:42 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined May 2010
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavess View Post
Seems like you have pulsos installed on the okto, how do you think the alumium behaves with those motors? Are they strong enough for the pulsos?

Iīm asking you this because I want to build an okto xl, but the 10x10x1 al, seems to be a bit weak for those motors. I probably end up with 12x12x1.
How long will they be? The square tube the MK shops is very stiff indeed.
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Old Feb 18, 2011, 03:04 PM
Ottawa
Joined Apr 2008
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpearl View Post
Hmm. I used the MD1 on my Hexa, This is saying they only have the MD2 now and that it works on the Hexa XL. Don't know if it will work on the standard Hexa, are the base plates the same dimension? Anyone know? Anyway here's the site, if you have questions ask Ziggy.
https://www.mikrokopter.us/shop/inde...product_id=155
The MD2 is essentially the same as the MD1, but without landing gear/battery holder. I have 2 MD1's. The first is mounted on an Okto. The second one on a Hex XL. Personally, I don't like the XL standard landing gear -- I already cracked one of the clamps. So I use the MD1 with its solid landing gear on the XL. And yes, it will fit any of the hex/okto.

Cheers,

Frederic
fcharp is offline Find More Posts by fcharp
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:29 PM
Ottawa
Joined Apr 2008
96 Posts
Quote:
Hi all thanks for all the support, what amazed me is that itís happened after almost 10 hours of flight, without any changes. It was my state of the art configuration frame octo2 esc BL2 camera mount mktr with brand new canon all gone

Working with mikrokoper hardware is not new to me, this is my number 5 ,and I helped to build few other for friends , this is clearly hardware failure, Iím going to do stress test to the rest of the ESC Ė BL2 , ill post my results for the next generation .
My heart goes out to you... I lost a regular hex in November -- 125 km/h on impact!

But I would like to follow up on the BL-Ctrls. There seems to be issues creeping up with these on a regular basis. I had a dealer actually tell me to keep away from them.

Anyhow... Could you tell us if your circuits were sprayed with conformal coating? I have gotten into the habit of spraying all of my boards, and particularly the BL ctrls. I am not sure the coating helps a lot, but I find that the + and - traces of the BL are VERY close to each other. With low amperage, it's not a problem. But I wonder if with the higher amperage of the more recent motors, it would not take much to get an arc accross the traces at the base of the capacitors. The conformal coating offers an added coat of insulation and keeps water/moisture away, to which the BL Crls are sensitive. Anybody care to confirm/infirm this assumption?

Re: capacitors. I only saw one capacitor on the failed BL. Did you have 2 originally? And what voltage were they? 25v or 35v?

Re: failure of all motors. This i2c issue is becoming bothersome. You would think that by now, Mikrokopter would have modified their power distribution board to star-distribute the i2c signal. The current configuration is deficient. Rusty showed the way to do it with a simple circuit board. It would be relatively easy to integrate his star distribution design right onto the power board. And Rusty's board is really adequate, but it does create some complications in terms of securing the BL-Ctrl's once the original i2c wires are cut to accommodate Rusty's connections.

Candidly, I find it hard to forgive that a single BL-Ctrl failure, as the one you experienced, should result in failure of all motors. People have demonstrated that the hex can fly on 5 engines, but what good is that if the control signal is lost when one BL fails?

And thank you so much for taking the time to relate what happened. Hopefully, it will help get some answers. I am getting a little nervous flying my XL when I hear horror stories like yours or PeterW67's... People in this group spend a lot of money on their gear. Having a single component fail repeatedly and cause such losses is something that should be addressed.

Regards,

Frederic
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:34 PM
Ottawa
Joined Apr 2008
96 Posts
Quote:

One more thing, if I may. Could you repost a sharper picture of the blown BL? Both sides? I'd be very interested in seeing the detail. I vaguely see black traces on the capacitor leads, but the rest of the circuit is hard to distinguish... Thanks in advance.

Frederic
Old Feb 18, 2011, 05:14 PM
Ottawa
Joined Apr 2008
96 Posts
BL Ctrl 2 & Vibration

I found this quote on another forum:

"I ended up on the phone with one of the guys that runs another MK shop (while discussing a warranty issue) a while back. He mentioned that the Hexa XL was producing vibration that was yanking the caps loose from their own legs! He said he had it happen more than once and that they had been silicone-adhesive-ing the caps in place to keep that from happening."

Can anybody comment on this? It seems to me that it would take a LOT of vibration to shake those caps loose... I have some spares here. I am going to see how much strength it takes to pull the leads out of the can. Think of it, I have both the MK-supplied and the Panasonic. I am curious to see if they differ in that regard.

Frederic
Old Feb 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
eli
Sderot, Israel
Joined Jan 2003
151 Posts
I’ll try to post better picture of the ESC ( it will have to wait till Monday ) , and yes only one capacitor , I thought it will do for the load I was using (probably wrong) , I didn’t sprayed any conformal coating , just plain ESC .
eli is offline Find More Posts by eli
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:12 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcharp View Post
I found this quote on another forum:

"I ended up on the phone with one of the guys that runs another MK shop (while discussing a warranty issue) a while back. He mentioned that the Hexa XL was producing vibration that was yanking the caps loose from their own legs! He said he had it happen more than once and that they had been silicone-adhesive-ing the caps in place to keep that from happening."

Can anybody comment on this? It seems to me that it would take a LOT of vibration to shake those caps loose... I have some spares here. I am going to see how much strength it takes to pull the leads out of the can. Think of it, I have both the MK-supplied and the Panasonic. I am curious to see if they differ in that regard.

Frederic
Hi Frederic,

I can't imagine pulling a leg out of a capacitor in anything other than a crash. Caps can certainly break from fatigue over time, and it's very wise to secure them with silicon, hot glue, shrink wrap, chewing gum...

I'd bet money the person in question had a prop or prop adapter that was way out of whack if they had vibration so severe that they thought it was yanking legs out of capacitors.

I'd be interested in reading the post if you can give us a hint where it was. I'm wondering if he had some reason to suspect the BL2.0 controller caused it.

Funny thing is that I just ordered a bunch of V2.0 controllers last night, wiht plans to switch over to them completely. I've been running both 1.2 and 2.0 since they came out, and prefer the 2.0 controllers. In fact, I'll be selling an X8 to clear out my remaining V1.2 controllers. I'll post the ad later tonight or sometime this weekend.

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:17 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Quote:
Iíll try to post better picture of the ESC ( it will have to wait till Monday ) , and yes only one capacitor , I thought it will do for the load I was using (probably wrong) , I didnít sprayed any conformal coating , just plain ESC .
The V2.0 controllers I've been using came with only one cap from one of the US dealers. The ones I've received from Zoltan have all had two. MK does specifically say you don't need the second cap unless you're running over about 20A (I think that was the number), and I've never used the second cap with Turnigy motors and 4S.

Another reason for the second cap is due to the goofy way they connect power from their POS distribution board to the controllers. Everyone worries about what size wire is big enough, then they run all the power through capacitor legs...

BL-Ctrls have a hard life, and it only takes one timing error to melt them. Of course overheating them by putting them in the center with a dome over them isn't such a great idea either. To add insult to injury, if one fries, the whole copter comes down.

MK should have built some sort of isolation into the V2.0 controllers when they re-designed them. A second mounting hole would be really nice as well, but they clearly don't care what I think

Rusty (done ranting...for now)
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Last edited by 13brv3; Feb 18, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:56 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,091 Posts
right on Rusty!!! +1

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:06 AM
israel
Joined Jun 2003
901 Posts
Hi
Can anyone tell me if it a good idea to put the the Alt( Ch5) and the PH (Ch7) on the same switch or to use different switch
Moti
moti is offline Find More Posts by moti