HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:29 AM
Zurich Switzerland
Joined May 2010
256 Posts
Hi Guys.

Just to clear things :-)
The MKTR mount that was used was not stabilized. I did a test with two GP750 HH gyros to stabilize the mount, but did not get the results I wanted. It was well stabilized, and hanged very horizontal, but it looked very unreal while doing turns etc. Also the movement was not that smooth, in my opinion the compensation was a bit too hard.
So after first flight I turned the stabilization off.

If I would do photography I would definitely use the stabilization of the mount to get straight horizon. But for video itīs almost easier to use the the downlink to verify that the horizon is straight and do the rest with some sliders on the radio.

I have a plan to try with oil dampers for the roll compensation to see if that might work, but have to see when there will be time over :-)

Cheers!
Jago
jago_svensson is offline Find More Posts by jago_svensson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:47 AM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,180 Posts
Thanks Jago for the info.
As far as I'm concerned at the moment, the stars of the show are. Your flying skill, Axi motors, GU brain and post process.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:12 AM
eli
Sderot, Israel
Joined Jan 2003
151 Posts
Board for sales

Crushed my octo - nothing left, I know that probably those Board useless at least for me, if you think other than that feel free to offer any price in PM I’ll sale it to the higher BID , ???!!!maybe can be use as spare part .
Btw you can see the guilty ESC

*** SOLD ***
eli is offline Find More Posts by eli
Last edited by eli; Feb 21, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:40 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
sorry for you !

it really seems the I2C ESCs are MK weak point, I have read countless people letting the magic smoke out of them, and a few crashes also !
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:13 AM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,821 Posts
I posted some of this over in the AP forum, but figured you fellows here would enjoy it as well.

Shot this today from our custom Octokopter. A 360 spherical panorama using 5 GoPro HD cameras. We designed a mount that properly orients the cameras for maximum FOV coverage and also eliminate vibration. We modified the cameras to connect to a PCB distribution board that carries power and trigger signals to each camera. The cameras are triggered via the switched output of the MK FC board.

This is over Steele Indian School Park in Phoenix, AZ. This park made global news in July 2007 when two news helicopters collided and crashed in the park killing all four souls aboard the two helicopters.

Click and drag once each is loaded to pan/tilt in any direction.

http://www.photoshipone.com/Steele_I...chool_Park.mov

Here's another of the historic Hayden Mill in Tempe, AZ.

http://www.photoshipone.com/Hayden_Mill_1.mov

We used this to capture the 360 pano. Five GoPro cameras in a radial array.

The copter is a foldable semi-X8. I say "semi" because the motors are not true coaxial but rather staggered half the prop diameter. Performance and stability is great.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Photoship One; Feb 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
AZ,
Very innovative build and fantastic photos!
Congrats!
Why are the Gopro's tilted to the side, or is that an optical illusion?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ChopperCam View Post
I posted some of this over in the AP forum, but figured you fellows here would enjoy it as well.

Shot this today from our custom Octokopter. A 360 spherical panorama using 5 GoPro HD cameras. We designed a mount that properly orients the cameras for maximum FOV coverage and also eliminate vibration. We modified the cameras to connect to a PCB distribution board that carries power and trigger signals to each camera. The cameras are triggered via the switched output of the MK FC board.

This is over Steele Indian School Park in Phoenix, AZ. This park made global news in July 2007 when two news helicopters collided and crashed in the park killing all four souls aboard the two helicopters.

http://www.photoshipone.com/Steele_I...chool_Park.mov

Here's another of the historic Hayden Mill in Tempe, AZ.

http://www.photoshipone.com/Hayden_Mill_1.mov

The copter is a foldable semi-X8. I say "semi" because the motors are not true coaxial but rather staggered half the prop diameter. Performance and stability is great.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:56 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:

That is a great way to take such photos. What size in pixels do you wind up with in the panorama?

Also how do you land that thing, just grab it out of the air?

I am pretty sure I asked you once before, what do you use to do your stitching?
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:58 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
i am very sorry to hear of your crash.... so was there a short near the capacitor?

this makes me want to consider Rusty's I2C isolater.... How I would hook it up to my hexa distribution board I am not sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli View Post
Crushed my octo - nothing left, I know that probably those Board useless at least for me, if you think other than that feel free to offer any price in PM I’ll sale it to the higher BID , ???!!!maybe can be use as spare part .
Btw you can see the guilty ESC
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:59 PM
//----\\
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2008
676 Posts
saabguyspg - i don't know about hexa and loosing a motor, i shore octo and Y6 can fly without one motor but hexa ?
Coil is offline Find More Posts by Coil
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:16 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukalo View Post
saabguyspg - i don't know about hexa and loosing a motor, i shore octo and Y6 can fly without one motor but hexa ?
Hexa just crashes less severely than a quad

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:32 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Dizzy MK after turn

I noticed in Part1 of this thread that others (ie - PigsDon'tFly) were having this same problem...and I wonder if a solution was ever found.

When flying forward flight and then making a banking turn...the MK is kindof dizzy or drunk afterwards not wanting to level out. Rather...it wants to pitch forward and bank for several seconds.
Does this have something to do with axis-decoupling?
Should I be flying in a different mode than beginer to get rid of this?

Thanks
Brent
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:25 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Aug 2010
691 Posts
Anyone here have any used/unwanted FC 2.0/2.1 boards they want to sell?
rallymatt is offline Find More Posts by rallymatt
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:31 PM
FPV Flyer
Madrid, Spain
Joined Mar 2006
763 Posts
Quote:

That is very innovative design, I havenīt seen a similar one yet.

Are those aluminium square tubes 10x10mm?
wavess is offline Find More Posts by wavess
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:34 PM
Joined Jun 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpearl View Post
I would recommend the MD1 mount. I've used it and it's very good. I'm currently using the MKTR ver.1 and I'm not sold on it yet. I feel like I've gotten better video with the MD1 and it's half the price.
Hi and thank you for the information.

so if the MD1 is the best camera mount for my Hexa Copter for half price were can i get one?
can you please give me a link.

Thank you.
kastrome is offline Find More Posts by kastrome
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:19 PM
Joined Mar 2010
256 Posts
I do sometimes find that on my 1.x boards, especially in colder weather and tighter faster turns can make it worse.
It's not predictable, either.
My 2.1 doesn't do this - I presume it's all down to the gyros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsgodeep View Post
I noticed in Part1 of this thread that others (ie - PigsDon'tFly) were having this same problem...and I wonder if a solution was ever found.

When flying forward flight and then making a banking turn...the MK is kindof dizzy or drunk afterwards not wanting to level out. Rather...it wants to pitch forward and bank for several seconds.
Does this have something to do with axis-decoupling?
Should I be flying in a different mode than beginer to get rid of this?

Thanks
Brent
jim80 is offline Find More Posts by jim80