Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:45 AM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
Looking nice!

Flying FPV with camera is great for making accurate 'around' shots etc.. Also because it slowly changes your brain in that of a bird..
I like this quote by Hard hat

Simon
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:59 AM
Joined Dec 2005
676 Posts
MK Flight Ctrl. v1.2 for sale

I am clearing up some inventory and I am selling my Flight Ctrl. v1.2 board with pressure sensor and 25V caps already installed. This is very stable, never crashed, and in excellent working condition board. Below is a demo video of the board flying standard frame MK.

MK Flight Ctrl 1.2 demo (1 min 59 sec)

$220 shipped to US or Canada. Please PM me if interested.

Cheers,
Nick
nikivan is offline Find More Posts by nikivan
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:54 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
Looking nice!

How long can you fly the quad with the GoPro? I have an Okto and I am seriously considering cutting its wings into a much more manageable quad or coax okto for travel purposes. Gave up on flying with an SLR, not needed.

Flying FPV with camera is great for making accurate 'around' shots etc.. Also because it slowly changes your brain in that of a bird..
Hardhat, I'm just using the gopro battery. My flights are short and I'm not worried about the battery running low. You can always power the gopro with a 5v source, through the usb connection on the gopro. When the weather gets better, I'll add the nav and gps boards. If I lose the vid signal, just engage RTH. Not sure if I'll need an OSD for the flying I'll do.

Brian.
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:31 AM
Joined Oct 2010
241 Posts
Brian, I meant flying time of the MK quad carrying the weight of the GoPro. A quad might be difficult for me though because I need all the fpv gear. Weight adds up to maybe 300gr + GoPro.

Here is some 'bird' footage, hopping remotely onto the yellow container (GoPro tied directly to leg..):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-Wp62BkGQ

Landing remotely while filming is great fun as you can turn off the motors and take it easy.

QUESTION: I want to get the best of both worlds. Is there a way to use the tilt compensation when you want. And then turn it off at other times so the servo isn't creating shaking? Would that take a seperate channel? I could combine it with PH or something.
hardhat is offline Find More Posts by hardhat
Last edited by hardhat; Feb 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:33 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
Hardhat, I was getting 10mins with a 3s 2200 15c bat. I have a 3s 3300 that I want to try. My RTF weight, as in the video, was 1150 g's. I also had a 2.4 100mw vtx, 2s 350 bat for vtx power and cable to the gopro on for my maiden flight. I did not have it powered for the first flight. I have a 200mw 5.8 vtx/rx's on the way that I will try with the quad. I want to take the MK to funflys and get some in air footage of the planes flying around. Everyone seems to be on 2.4 now.

Brian.
Last edited by Buffythesaint; Feb 13, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:17 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
I didn't like the minor play in the roll axis. I removed the stock piece of tubing and added a larger one with a ball clevis/screw, z-bend rod. It has no slop now. I will see if it makes a difference next indoor flying.

Brian.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:10 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
So I have my co-axial hexa up and flying, thanks Simon for the mixing table.

I had to modify the mixing to suit my motor numbering (motors one and two are on one arm for me)

I see you have increased the gas to 76 on the lower 3 motors... of course I assume that it is becuase of the top motor "blowing" on the bottom one. It seems to work well but I did not know that we could go more than 64 (100%) I figured that anything more than 64 would be ignored...

Pretty cool that is cranks up the lower motors (assuming that's what it does) and thanks for the tip!

I am running turnigy 2217's with 10" props top and bottom.

Is it worth it to experiment with larger props on the bottom or top?

So far I like it!

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:42 PM
FPV Flyer
Madrid, Spain
Joined Mar 2006
763 Posts
I didnīt notice any benefit at all on my trials, with my okto coax, same motors than you.

Specially if youīre going to shoot hd video itīs worth to spend many time on gyros pid settings. Coax are more agresive than standard.
wavess is offline Find More Posts by wavess
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:07 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post

I see you have increased the gas to 76 on the lower 3 motors... of course I assume that it is becuase of the top motor "blowing" on the bottom one. It seems to work well but I did not know that we could go more than 64 (100%) I figured that anything more than 64 would be ignored...

Is it worth it to experiment with larger props on the bottom or top?
Hi Steve,

I tend to run 70-74 on the bottom motors. The only downside of this is that the lower motors will hit max throttle before your stick gets to the full throttle position. For that last bit of throttle travel, you'll only be speeding up the top motors, which will induce some yaw. The good news is that you can easily avoid needing to use full throttle if you've got enough power.

As for different sized props, I'd try a slightly higher pitch on the bottom if possible, but as you know, we don't get a lot of choices.

Slightly higher KV on the bottom motors might help as well. I have some of the 750 and 840 Pulsos, and plan to try using the 840's on the bottom.

Glad to hear you're a master mixer now It's almost easier to make your own table than to try to copy someone elses.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15361

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:18 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
why is 750kv the 'magic number' for your average quad why not 500kv or 600kv they seem like they would be a better choice.... that's what I want to know
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:17 PM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Hey guys, What is the best way to calibrate the MK? I've done it numerous times but still haven't found a good method for me. I've tried it with my kids big legos and that didn't help that much. I've tried putting a bubble level on the GPS on top of the MK that didn't seem to help last time so I don't really know. I feel like my Hexa is a little out of whack, it needs to be calibrated right. Thanks for any help.
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpearl View Post
Hey guys, What is the best way to calibrate the MK? I've done it numerous times but still haven't found a good method for me. I've tried it with my kids big legos and that didn't help that much. I've tried putting a bubble level on the GPS on top of the MK that didn't seem to help last time so I don't really know. I feel like my Hexa is a little out of whack, it needs to be calibrated right. Thanks for any help.
I used the level piece out of a cheap plastic level. I just placed it out on each arm, by the motor, and shimmed the MK until all arms were level. I powered up and did one last recheck on each boom, then calibrated. It flew perfectly for my maiden flight.

Brian.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:11 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
right on thanks Rusty! yes the mixing is really quite easy to do ;-)

I am wondering about those nice wooden motors, they are 5g lighter than the apc's in the 12x3.8 version and come in a multitude of sizes.

Now that I have it flying I am onto creating a cap for it. If anyone has a link to some tips and tricks to fiberglassing... I have a perfect tupperware container I want to use as a mold (it's too heavey and flexy as it is)... that would be awesome!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Hi Steve,

I tend to run 70-74 on the bottom motors. The only downside of this is that the lower motors will hit max throttle before your stick gets to the full throttle position. For that last bit of throttle travel, you'll only be speeding up the top motors, which will induce some yaw. The good news is that you can easily avoid needing to use full throttle if you've got enough power.

As for different sized props, I'd try a slightly higher pitch on the bottom if possible, but as you know, we don't get a lot of choices.

Slightly higher KV on the bottom motors might help as well. I have some of the 750 and 840 Pulsos, and plan to try using the 840's on the bottom.

Glad to hear you're a master mixer now It's almost easier to make your own table than to try to copy someone elses.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15361

Cheers,
Rusty
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:12 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
it just depends on if you are running 3S 4S or 5S

bigger prop, lower KV, more cells.... sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
why is 750kv the 'magic number' for your average quad why not 500kv or 600kv they seem like they would be a better choice.... that's what I want to know
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:16 PM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
I used the level piece out of a cheap plastic level. I just placed it out on each arm, by the motor, and shimmed the MK until all arms were level. I powered up and did one last recheck on each boom, then calibrated. It flew perfectly for my maiden flight.

Brian.
Thanks Buffy. That sounds pretty reasonable. Any idea where to get those levels? I have one but I'd rather go to a store and buy them than order them.
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl