Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:02 PM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Mike View Post
Most impressive, Simon. However since you have now asended to master level FPV flying, you need to have a mere mortal fly the demos so the rest of us will not have inflated expectations!
Thanks Mike, glad to see you here! It's been a while.
I love FPV flying, shame its totally illegal here in Australia. Although i am still working on that.
What i love most about FPV, is thats its always a challenge, i learn something every time i wear my glasses.

It's about time you blew the dust of the Lumix and showed the young fellows on here what its all about...

Simon

Shot this yesterday down at the beach, nothing fancy. I was testing the new Radian Stabilization hardware from FreeFly systems.
You can read the description in the video.
Radian Stabilisation (4 min 23 sec)
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
Last edited by simonjardine; Aug 08, 2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added video
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:09 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Motors

Anyone have a source for where to get Sunnysky motors? They sound great, but I can't find them in stock.

Are there any other motor suggestions that are high quality like this and reasonably priced like the Sunnysky's.

Also...I am thinking of upgrading and running 12" props from now on with my MK's. Could the 2216 motors handle 12" props or should I go with the 2814's?

Also, has anybody used these Turnigy motors? Any good?

Thanks,
Brent
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:49 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Hi Brent,
Here is a discussion thread on the Sunnysky motors: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1609854

and another with some testing: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1521705

Sources:
-- http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...nysky&_sacat=0

-- http://www.himodel.com/sort.php?sub2=FB

-- http://www.foxtechfpv.com/sunnysky-2...tor-p-382.html

-- http://www.goodluckbuy.com/sunnysky-...uadcopter.html

-- http://www.hobby-wing.com/sunnysky-x...212-kv980.html

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsgodeep View Post
Anyone have a source for where to get Sunnysky motors? They sound great, but I can't find them in stock.

Are there any other motor suggestions that are high quality like this and reasonably priced like the Sunnysky's.

Also...I am thinking of upgrading and running 12" props from now on with my MK's. Could the 2216 motors handle 12" props or should I go with the 2814's?

Also, has anybody used these Turnigy motors? Any good?

Thanks,
Brent
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:47 AM
Wish i was a flight pack
Australia, NSW, Bass Hill
Joined Jan 2012
332 Posts
I find these to work extremely well (efficiency + power) and good bang for your buck. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50kv_140w.html
TNTJET is offline Find More Posts by TNTJET
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Stuff
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTJET View Post
I find these to work extremely well (efficiency + power) and good bang for your buck. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50kv_140w.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyking engineers
Our QC engineers check and balance each motor before shipping to the HobbyKing.com warehouse.
lol, funniest thing I read on that site after mr.jig description.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Thanks Jim.
I appreciate the links to other sources.

I found these.
Do you guys think they are beefy enough to run 12x3.8 props? It looks like they are, but I'm not that knowledgeable on motors.

Thanks.
Brent
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:14 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Man this thread is quiet.
Anyway..I figured out the Sunnysky motors I mentioned aren't suitable for spinning 12x3.8 props.
I'm going with these. They seem very high rated and much more capable of bigger props. They appear to be just rebranded RC Timer motors.

I had forgotten about Ecalc. Man that tool is amazing for analyzing motors, etc.

Brent
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
What goes up...
England
Joined Apr 2010
198 Posts
It's quiet because like all MK threads its too damn long to read. Mikrokopter needs its own section under the new multirotor forum. Might actually get some usefull threads going then.
Krylon is offline Find More Posts by Krylon
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
866 Posts
I haven't checked in here for a while. Is there anything new going on with MK, something I've missed in the past few months or perhaps in the pipelines? I mean hardware, flight controller-related.
RC Flying UK is online now Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:55 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
1,921 Posts
I most often post in the Mikrokopter forum run by Ziggy. Not as much to wade through, and more specific topics.
I do like you guys, and follow this thread!

Flying my CS6 with a fresh battery. After about 3 min of flight I got a fast constant beeping and landed immediately. My DX8 telemetry read 15.1V, later confirmed with my charger.
When I examined the voltage in the GPX file it showed the battery started at 15.0 and went down to 12.5v. There were no errors in the file either. No wonder the voltage warning was beeping! Usually I land at 14.5v.
This was very odd, and disconcerting! Anyone else seen this? The good news is 2 more batteries and nothing strange.

max. used Capacity: 2571 mAh
- max. Current: 56.3 A
- max. Voltage: 15.0 V, (LiPo 4S)
- min. Voltage: 12.5 V, (LiPo-Cell-Voltage: 3.1V)
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Dec 2005
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
I most often post in the Mikrokopter forum run by Ziggy. Not as much to wade through, and more specific topics.
I do like you guys, and follow this thread!

Flying my CS6 with a fresh battery. After about 3 min of flight I got a fast constant beeping and landed immediately. My DX8 telemetry read 15.1V, later confirmed with my charger.
When I examined the voltage in the GPX file it showed the battery started at 15.0 and went down to 12.5v. There were no errors in the file either. No wonder the voltage warning was beeping! Usually I land at 14.5v.
This was very odd, and disconcerting! Anyone else seen this? The good news is 2 more batteries and nothing strange.

max. used Capacity: 2571 mAh
- max. Current: 56.3 A
- max. Voltage: 15.0 V, (LiPo 4S)
- min. Voltage: 12.5 V, (LiPo-Cell-Voltage: 3.1V)
I've seen this happening with nano-tech batteries from HK. After few months they don't hold voltage well under even moderate load. From your post it is not clear which battery brand you use, but everyone should avoid these nano-techs.
nikivan is offline Find More Posts by nikivan
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:25 AM
Gainesville GA USA
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
As a batteries internal resistance increases, it will drop voltage under load. Heat will cause it to increase also.

Was the bad battery hotter than normal when you landed?

I use an iCharger, which can display the internal resistance for each cell. Record them when new, and check when your flight times drop.

Rick
llamatrails is offline Find More Posts by llamatrails
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
1,921 Posts
It was the stock CS6 battery actually, Quadropower lipo. The odd thing is only the MK saw the battery as low, and it wasn't really low. The DX8 telemetry was reading over 16v initially, and 15v when the MK was beeping. The GPX file read 12.5v at the lowest and 12.7 on landing. When I tested the battery with my charger and my "Watts up" they both read 15.2V, not even close to 12.5v. My next 3 batteries were fine, 2 of them nano-techs.
So the battery was fine, it was the MK that read the voltage wrong at the beginning (15v), when I'm sure it was about 16.6v. It then read it lower than it actually was during the whole flight. I just didn't know it till I heard the beep alarm and read the GPX. Just weird.
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:56 PM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
866 Posts
Have you tried using one of the those little battery warning buzzers attached to the balance plug instead of/as well as the MK battery buzzer - just to see if they concur in flight?
RC Flying UK is online now Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:11 PM
Gainesville GA USA
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
I'd be real careful flying that battery. Check the MK flight logs to see how steady the discharge is on the next few flights with it.

Checking the battery after the fact isn't a good indicator. The battery voltage drops on draw and recovers as the load is removed. If the GPX file showed 12.5v as the lowest, then that is what it was when the draw was the highest.

In my experience, they don't get better by themselves. 8-)

Rick
llamatrails is offline Find More Posts by llamatrails