HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Panama, San Miguelito
Joined Apr 2011
150 Posts
Gps tunning

Hello.

I have good reading on satelites reception (more than 8)

When i use PH the heli is not locking solid, its like in a loose
playing area.

What parameters could be good to tune???

I'm using a Droidwork hexa HL, MK FC 2.1, navi 1.1, New Gps board.

Thanks
albertog is offline Find More Posts by albertog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Get a naza with gps and some 40amp esc.
Sell the Mk stuff and stop wasting time tuning that thing.
Mk is behind now. No luck for it till they step up there game.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
I have a Naza. Still don't have all the wobbles out of it. MK = no wobbles.
Don't know if you have heard of the DJI Spreading Wings s800 machines falling out of the sky. They have an esc overheating problem and since they are integrated into the frame and fully custom...that's not an easy thing to fix. DJI is suggesting to remove resistors to reduce heat. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Also, with the dihedral design of the spreading wing...it is TERRIBLE to fly in the wind. A crosswind will get up under the blades and make it wobble like crazy.
DJI isn't perfect and no...MK is not behind.
With MK you get waypoints built-in. With DJI you have to pay hefty upgrade fees for it.

Anway...don't mean to start an argument or anything else. But I just think many are jumping on the DJI bandwagon blindly thinking they are not going to have problems. They have quite a few problems...with several just surfacing in the past week or two.

But I will grant you that...they are WAY ahead of the game with the Zenmuse. It's a game changer and MK doesn't even seem to care about camera gimbals or focusing on the end result...which is the best photos/video you can get.

Anyway...that's my perspective anyway...for what it's worth.
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:15 AM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
807 Posts
MK is fine

dmsgodeep , before two days i made a test without the props for the motor vibrations..
i velcro strap my iphone into the rigger and with the single motor test i test for vibrations,
i used a program called iseismometer .. this program can "watch" the tiniest vibration of the motor. i manage to balance 2 motors
something like this
How to use an iPhone app to balance your motors (1 min 46 sec)

, i also balance the propellers with the known way.
prop balancing video tutorial (5 min 5 sec)
Nettraptor is offline Find More Posts by Nettraptor
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:48 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,255 Posts
Nettraptor: Thanks for that demo! I had read about that app but don't have an iPhone, but just realized it works for ipod Touch too. I've never balanced my motors or hubs. Any particular reason you didn't just sand some off the heavy side of the hub.
Gary in Salisbury, MD
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:57 AM
OCD
King, NC
Joined Aug 2000
486 Posts
Quote:
I'll offer different opinion. Our MK OctaXL is rock solid. I could not ask for better stability for aerial imaging of grass lands and tree canopies. With telemetry we feel pretty good about the system and do very consistent fly overs on a daily basis. We have an excellent tech guy that knows how to setup a copter. We will actually try a Naza and Arducopter later this fall. Would be nice to have 5 copters for the price of one MK.

Marcus
Wright is offline Find More Posts by Wright
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:43 AM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Nettraptor: Thanks for that demo! I had read about that app but don't have an iPhone, but just realized it works for ipod Touch too. I've never balanced my motors or hubs. Any particular reason you didn't just sand some off the heavy side of the hub.
Gary in Salisbury, MD
i sand only the blades.
A friend of mine didnt sand anything , he kept the material and added an adhesive tape to the light part. thats better i believe.
Nettraptor is offline Find More Posts by Nettraptor
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,599 Posts
I have two MK's and love both of them. I have a Naza quad that flies pretty good, not quite as good as the MK quad but close. I had the WKM on my hexa but couldn't get it to fly good in windy conditions. I was using Xoar 13x6.5 props and went down to 12" props. It did work better but still woobles in the wind(simonK esc's). You need to load the props up to get rid of the woobles. The MK has way more features then the WKM. All the new features that the WKM has added, MK already had. Seems like WKM is trying to be like MK. I removed the WKM off my hexa, put an MK center stack on it and TC's I2C converter. I put my Xoars on it and darn, it flew better. I'm still setting up my PID's. I put P to 0 and D is at 10. I started to turn up I until woobles and ended up with an I of 75. My P is at 100 now but can be turned up some. So far it's pretty darn good. I just make small changes and fly. It may take a while to tune but the results will show up. If you start to hammer values around, it will be frustrating to get good results. I'm working on altitude hold now and then PH. In my opinion, the MK is still the leader. Just check out Simon flying the quad and hexa in high winds, 35 knots. The WKM can't do that.

Happy flying everyone, Brian.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Lol
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,255 Posts
Brain: Thank for that input. I have 2 MKs. The Qaud built on a Rusty frame with Axi 2820/14 motors. The ESC keep overheating and the PH is a bit rough. I built a CS6 next and put the navi and GPS out on the arm. Great AH and PH, and no heat issues.
I wish I could put larger Esc on my rusty quad but can't without going to the converter and flashed esc's. Just waiting for cooler weather to fly it.

I'm in the process of building a Naza quad 550mm for FPV. I'll let you know if it performs better than the MK. It says it is not designed for larger multirotors.
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Brain: Thank for that input. I have 2 MKs. The Qaud built on a Rusty frame with Axi 2820/14 motors. The ESC keep overheating and the PH is a bit rough. I built a CS6 next and put the navi and GPS out on the arm. Great AH and PH, and no heat issues.
I wish I could put larger Esc on my rusty quad but can't without going to the converter and flashed esc's. Just waiting for cooler weather to fly it.

I'm in the process of building a Naza quad 550mm for FPV. I'll let you know if it performs better than the MK. It says it is not designed for larger multirotors.
Are you using the GPS shield? I have one on my quad and it makes a huge difference. I get 10 sats, sometimes 11 with the shield. PH is great and AH works well. I don't even use GPS Z (0) with AH, just the baro sensor. My GPS gain is 75%. I was using my quad to test out a wide band pre amp. Here is the test video. It was perfect for my expectations. Now I need a shield for my hexa but Zoltan is out.

Best of luck with the Naza. Plan on adding GPS to your Naza?

NGHobbies Wide Band Pre-amp test (1 min 39 sec)
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Feb 2009
274 Posts
Fishing in Finland on boat from sealegs

Half of day getting video in Finland on a beautiful lake from hexacopter with AXI2814/22, I2c-PWM converter, AV200 with HoverFly Gimbal, Canon 5D and F-60A BLCtrl from HK. Very windy day.

Fishing Day on Finland Lake from hexacopter board on Canon 5D Mark II (multicopter.ru) (4 min 53 sec)

Best regards,

Andrei
AndrKolom is offline Find More Posts by AndrKolom
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrKolom View Post
Half of day getting video in Finland on a beautiful lake from hexacopter with AXI2814/22, I2c-PWM converter, AV200 with HoverFly Gimbal, Canon 5D and F-60A BLCtrl from HK. Very windy day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiBkKpaMIrg

Best regards,

Andrei
Very nice video. Lol
But I can't seem to spot the pilot.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:21 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Feb 2009
274 Posts
Quote:
Very nice video. Lol
But I can't seem to spot the pilot.

For my view it is ok, we had no reason, why we should not show ourself, because this video is for us and those, who are interested in our job. Not for any big and serious purpose. We had a good training of new gimbal control system.

Best regards,
Andrei
AndrKolom is offline Find More Posts by AndrKolom
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:32 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrKolom View Post
For my view it is ok, we had no reason, why we should not show ourself, because this video is for us and those, who are interested in our job. Not for any big and serious purpose. We had a good training of new gimbal control system.

Best regards,
Andrei
Great video Andrei.
What gimbal control system are you using?

Brent
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep