HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,603 Posts
I had my Quad out the other night to test NGHobbies wideband pre-amp. It showed up in my order from Zoltan to try out. I used the stock antennas on the vrx's, one with the powered pre-amp(12v, 3s lipo). I flew out on the non pre-amp vrx, Oracle set to manual, until I started to lose video. I then switched over to the pre-amp vrx and my video came back. It did boost the gain of the stock antanna. In hindsight, I should of flew out further to test the range. Overall, it worked as expected. If you have a noisy video system, the pre-amp will intensify the noise. It will also pass the video through, un-powered.

BTW, anyone using the EPI osd, have a problem with RSSI? When I select altitude hold, my RSSI goes down to 2 and flashes. The RSSI is derived from the quality of the PPM stream. For some reason, it doesn't like the change in the PPM stream when I select altitude hold. It doesn't do this when I use other channels for there functions, only ch5 for me. I could use some help on this one. I do get RSSI back when I turn off altitude hold.

NGHobbies Wide Band Pre-amp test (1 min 39 sec)
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:02 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,255 Posts
Buffythesaint: nice, was that 500 m out? I thought the MK had a range of 250m unless you get the commercial version?
Anyone tried this xbee setup? Xbee 3drRadio set ($75)
http://www.quadrocopter.com/Xbee-3DR...Set_p_551.html
I thought it would be fun to take my notebook into the field, for telemetry and waypoint setups!
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Buffythesaint: nice, was that 500 m out? I thought the MK had a range of 250m unless you get the commercial version?
I thought it would be fun to take my notebook into the field, for telemetry and waypoint setups!
I am using this setup and it works great! Very simple/easy to setup and get running... just plug it in and install the drivers on the computer and it works!

Josh
BirdsEyeProd is offline Find More Posts by BirdsEyeProd
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
The 250 meter limitation is only for waypoint flight, you can go as far as you like as long as you do the flying. Position hold will work beyond 250 meters and I believe the RTH function will as well although I haven't tried it from long distance.

I've had an xbee system for a couple years now and for a while I was using the Mission Cockpit software which can give audio updates of some of the telemtry while in flight. Only downside is I had to have my netbook close by while flying to hear the audio and the screen is kind of small to follow the flight progress. I still use the xbee and waypoint occasionally but lately the majority of my flying has been through Fatshark Dominator goggles so the ground station is a bit redundant.

Last Sunday I flew my MK FPV quad out to 1938 feet (590 meters) with no loss of signal, JR 11X on 2.4 gHz with dual satellites on diversity board, the video through an Immersion 600 mw 5.8 with cloverleaf antenna and Uno RX with SPW antenna on the recording side and same antenna on the Fatsharks. It was a bit breezy at altitude as you can see in the video...

MKFPV (8 min 42 sec)
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
GPS Issue

Has anyone seen their GPS go for over 30 minutes with no fix?

Am I missing something? This is a bird that has lots of time on it.

I did just upgrade to 78d/88m.

Mike
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:59 PM
wbuttry
sikeston mo
Joined Apr 2009
365 Posts
I"m curious i bought a kk board didnt have real good luck with it on a tri i never could get it to sit still it always want to go forward or backwards or left to rite i got to questions . 1.Would a quad be more stable in it's axis than a tri would ?2. How much more stable is a wii board compared to a kk? And are the gyro's more sensitve on the wii than kk? I'm new at this and i failed at the tri it ended in parts in to different counties if u know what i mean. i would like to get one glying in the next couple weeks.
wbuttry is offline Find More Posts by wbuttry
Last edited by wbuttry; Jun 29, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:08 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,398 Posts
GPS Question. I just finished my MK L4-ME build and I added the GPS and NAvi. the quad flys fine and all works good except the GPS. I can't get a lock. this is my question. does the blue light on top go solid when there is a lock or does it keep blinking. and Yes I have updated the fc and the navi to the latest software. also in the house I was getting 9 sats. any help is greatly apprciated.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:05 PM
Don L.
Old Lyme, Connecticut
Joined Feb 2006
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
GPS Question. I just finished my MK L4-ME build and I added the GPS and NAvi. the quad flys fine and all works good except the GPS. I can't get a lock. this is my question. does the blue light on top go solid when there is a lock or does it keep blinking. and Yes I have updated the fc and the navi to the latest software. also in the house I was getting 9 sats. any help is greatly apprciated.
The LED comes on solid after the NC initializes the GPS (a few seconds) and starts to blink when it gets a fix.

By "can't get a lock", do you mean the GPS doesn't get a fix, or that position hold doesn't "lock" the bird in position?

- Don
dleroi is online now Find More Posts by dleroi
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
Don L.
Old Lyme, Connecticut
Joined Feb 2006
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3mw View Post
GPS Issue

Has anyone seen their GPS go for over 30 minutes with no fix?

Am I missing something? This is a bird that has lots of time on it.

I did just upgrade to 78d/88m.

Mike
Mike,

I've had it take 20-30 minutes to get a fix when the backup battery was bad. I also had one just quit after I shipped it commercially. I wrote that off to bad packing (mine) and rough handling (theirs) after I realized that the antenna would have acted as a shock absorber for the bird if it got bounced around. After that, I took to using stand-offs, instead of nuts, to fasten the GPS to the stack. The stand-offs prevent the cover from hitting the antenna if it gets compressed.

- Don
dleroi is online now Find More Posts by dleroi
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleroi View Post
Mike,

I've had it take 20-30 minutes to get a fix when the backup battery was bad. I also had one just quit after I shipped it commercially. I wrote that off to bad packing (mine) and rough handling (theirs) after I realized that the antenna would have acted as a shock absorber for the bird if it got bounced around. After that, I took to using stand-offs, instead of nuts, to fasten the GPS to the stack. The stand-offs prevent the cover from hitting the antenna if it gets compressed.

- Don
Thanks Don

There hasn't been any bad handling, but I'll power it from USB for the night and see what happens in the morning. I've got a room that you can see satellites through.

Mike
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:33 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
i2c to pwm converter issues

Hey guys,
Anyone have experience with Timecop's converter?

I installed one on my hex that was flying very good with MK esc's.
I switched over to these esc's loaded with SimonK firmware.
It flies terrible now. It is very jittery/wobbly and virtually unusable for AP.

I have only seen good reports from people using this converter.
Just wondering if anyone has had issues like this and if they have any suggestions as to what might be the issue.

Thanks,
Brent
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:12 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
I had my Quad out the other night to test NGHobbies wideband pre-amp. It showed up in my order from Zoltan to try out. I used the stock antennas on the vrx's, one with the powered pre-amp(12v, 3s lipo). I flew out on the non pre-amp vrx, Oracle set to manual, until I started to lose video. I then switched over to the pre-amp vrx and my video came back. It did boost the gain of the stock antanna. In hindsight, I should of flew out further to test the range. Overall, it worked as expected. If you have a noisy video system, the pre-amp will intensify the noise. It will also pass the video through, un-powered.]
I had one of his preamps on my spectrum analyzer and from 800mhz to 3Ghz, it had a nice solid 16db gain on it. I've tested it at 5ghz and have seen it works very well there as well. Sorry, my IFR only goes to 3ghz, so I can't sweep it that high.

Next time I hook it up, I will get a picture of the scope with the trace on it.

Mike
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:07 AM
Randburg
Joined Jul 2008
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsgodeep View Post
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had issues like this and if they have any suggestions as to what might be the issue.

Thanks,
Brent
Change the PWM rate to 500 or 498 what ever is the highest allowed,
My quad actually flies better with TC's converter, also use the ESC on TC'S site they work the best.
Ryan Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Thomas
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:14 AM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleroi View Post
The LED comes on solid after the NC initializes the GPS (a few seconds) and starts to blink when it gets a fix.

By "can't get a lock", do you mean the GPS doesn't get a fix, or that position hold doesn't "lock" the bird in position?

- Don
Well I found out that the blue light should be blinking, and I do get the beep. but I think I need to recalibrate everything as the computer is saying I am getting 10-12 Sats. But Yea when I put in Position hold I get alot of drift etc .
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsgodeep View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Brent
Did you do throttle calibration with bindplug and mingas calibration with mktools? This is important, especially with those DYS escs. They will drift calibration depending on temperature, so you might have to bump mingas up a bit, but they will work. I wouldn't really use them seriously as it's P/N fet design so they will heat more than equivalent all-nfet or nfet+gate driven ESC. Depending on how much A you're pulling, I'd recommend getting HK 30A (nfet) or 40A (nfet+driver), and flashing them. Some people have said changing PWM from 400 to 498 or 500 helps, but I don't see how it can. In general the converter will work "OK" with plush-style esc without reflash, with flashed ones it approaches and/or exceeds MKBL. There's a video in I2C converter thread of some guys flying a RED Scarlet in an octo with this converter, and it's doing pretty good.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)