HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:32 AM
Randburg
Joined Jul 2008
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ChopperCam View Post
When I place the octo in GPS position hold it will hold a position to within 2-3 meters but the copter is very twitchy and has a case of the jitters. I have tried adjusting the GPS P,I,D values with no success. I have tried another navi/gps board and get the same results. Very twitchy movements when in position hold mode.

FC version .80g
Navi version .20

Any ideas?
I have the same issues but not all the time about 50% of the time I think the more data the GPS collects the better it is, so try leave it on before you fly for 10m with another battery
Ryan Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Thomas
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:50 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined May 2010
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Thomas View Post
I have the same issues but not all the time about 50% of the time I think the more data the GPS collects the better it is, so try leave it on before you fly for 10m with another battery
Try reading the wiki on this. I'll bet you it's a setup-issue.
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:36 AM
Randburg
Joined Jul 2008
346 Posts
This is on the stock settings, I have read that the higher the data count is the more accurate the GPS is. But yes I have two settings one for low wind(stock) and one for wind where GPS-P= 120, GPS gain = 80,

But if I go to a new area I always have issues at first, 3rd or 4th flight GPS stops twiching.
go figure
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:15 AM
Joined May 2010
1,200 Posts
Quote:
This is on the stock settings, I have read that the higher the data count is the more accurate the GPS is. But yes I have two settings one for low wind(stock) and one for wind where GPS-P= 120, GPS gain = 80,

But if I go to a new area I always have issues at first, 3rd or 4th flight GPS stops twiching.
go figure
How is it moving around? In slow movements (drifting around), or rapid go-and-stop movements?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:25 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
980 Posts
$1500 to $2000 - Ouch!

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleto View Post
For all of you in the AP business, Here is a very interesting tool

http://www.teradek.com/cube.html

WiFi range is approximately 300 feet. However, it could be increased by using a high power router and a jaggy antenna.
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:07 PM
Randburg
Joined Jul 2008
346 Posts
@wizprod

I have had both but most of the time it shoots off and twitches, if I plug it in to MK tools OSD I notice that the home position is 5m-10m from where I set it, but after a while it corrects its self, I wonder if there is a better GPS antenna one could get for the MK.

I would love it if it was just settings but half the time its works perfect!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:50 PM
Joined May 2010
1,200 Posts
Quote:
@wizprod

I have had both but most of the time it shoots off and twitches, if I plug it in to MK tools OSD I notice that the home position is 5m-10m from where I set it, but after a while it corrects its self, I wonder if there is a better GPS antenna one could get for the MK.

I would love it if it was just settings but half the time its works perfect!
Could it be a bad solder of the antenna? Have you checked how many sat's it's getting?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:07 PM
Randburg
Joined Jul 2008
346 Posts
I do get nice reception 8-10 sats, but sometimes it takes a very long time like 15min.

I will reflow the solder joint anyway, see if it helps.

I thought this was normal, are you saying that yours works perfectly all the time?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:18 PM
Monterey
Joined Aug 2005
93 Posts
I built a new frame for my heavy lift quad. Put shielded I2c lines, moved the power lines to avoid EMI... Plugged in the MKUsb to do a motortest and it went fine. I realized I still had the jumper on the MKUSB Now it flashes red and doesn't connect. I added the Navi board and tried it, no go.

I plugged in the zigbee wireless and it connects. Scope shows no I2c errors.
I held it down to power it up and it wants to flip. Motors in the right place and spinning the correct direction.
Motor test still works fine with the zigbee....a little help please?

Tip
BLADEBREAKER is offline Find More Posts by BLADEBREAKER
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:24 PM
Joined May 2010
1,200 Posts
Quote:
I do get nice reception 8-10 sats, but sometimes it takes a very long time like 15min.

I will reflow the solder joint anyway, see if it helps.

I thought this was normal, are you saying that yours works perfectly all the time?
The only time I had a visible difference was when flying on a cloudy day, and suddenly seeing blue sky the MK corrected its position by 10 meters. I guess it could be more precise with a clear blue sky.

But otherwise no, it's rock steady now all the time... even 100 meters up and in 4 m/s wind.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:59 PM
Tinkerer
Earth
Joined Oct 2005
388 Posts
FC issues with retaining config

Hi all, I have had a rather harrowing experience over the weekend.
I went to demonstrate how stable and precise the MK Hexa flies to a friend and having by now had a config that I was very happy with I just started her up and proceeded to take off. Well, it first flipped then bounced on the second attempt after a reboot and generally behaved as if it had never been setup.
I thought this must be due to the config settings having been lost for some reason so I went to reload the last config from disk and discovered that all settings were intact.
Upon further groping around for clues I deduced that what must be happening is that ALL positions are reversed when you reverse the yaw channel. I reversed the yaw because I had moved the position of the camera and wanted to maintain steering POV. So when I reversed the channel I must have also reversed the accel calibration position (from top right to top left) so that when I armed it I actually recalibrated the accell and threw off all the balance settings.
Anyone care to add more sense to the story?

Don
don_cocinero is offline Find More Posts by don_cocinero
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:15 PM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLADEBREAKER View Post
I built a new frame for my heavy lift quad. Put shielded I2c lines, moved the power lines to avoid EMI... Plugged in the MKUsb to do a motortest and it went fine. I realized I still had the jumper on the MKUSB Now it flashes red and doesn't connect. I added the Navi board and tried it, no go.

I plugged in the zigbee wireless and it connects. Scope shows no I2c errors.
I held it down to power it up and it wants to flip. Motors in the right place and spinning the correct direction.
Motor test still works fine with the zigbee....a little help please?

Tip
Is it a X or a + ? Sounds to me that your mixing is wrong, try holding ALT key whilst pressing the settings button, choose the correct mixing in the mixing tab??

Simon
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
Joined Dec 2005
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ChopperCam View Post
When I place the octo in GPS position hold it will hold a position to within 2-3 meters but the copter is very twitchy and has a case of the jitters. I have tried adjusting the GPS P,I,D values with no success. I have tried another navi/gps board and get the same results. Very twitchy movements when in position hold mode.

FC version .80g
Navi version .20

Any ideas?
Try setting GPS-P to 85 and leave the rest to default. Also, try the new 0.82 version which sends some optimization settings to the GPS module 'on the fly'.

Cheers,
Nick
nikivan is offline Find More Posts by nikivan
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:32 PM
Monterey
Joined Aug 2005
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjardine View Post
Is it a X or a + ? Sounds to me that your mixing is wrong, try holding ALT key whilst pressing the settings button, choose the correct mixing in the mixing tab??

Simon
It's an X and I just confirmed the mixing. Test battery was a little low. I put a fresh one on and it flys fine. I still think my MKUsb is toast. Could it have done any damage to the board? Any way to tell?

Tip
BLADEBREAKER is offline Find More Posts by BLADEBREAKER
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:29 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Quote:

go figure
Ryan,
I had terrible results with GPS on both of my mk's with the stock battery. I replaced both with fresh batteries (not rechargable...but last a long time)...and I get sat fix in a new area in about 1 minute. Each additional power up in the area gets sat fix in about 10 seconds or less. Without changing anything else...even on a cloudy day like today...I get excellent gps results.

Note...I just soldered wires to the battery leads and then loop the wires at the other end with one on each respective side/pole of the battery...and then shrink wrap it. I find this MUCH easier to test/replace the battery (especially if the battery is a tad bigger than the stock mk battery). I can just stick the multimeter probes inside the shrink wrap to test battery anytime. I can also replace the battery this way without having to take the pcb stack apart.

Worth a try replacing with a brand new battery.

Brent
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep