HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:28 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcapsule View Post
Just be patient and read everything you can. You'll be fine. And yes I'm blown away by my MK too.
+1 I was very nervous the first time I tried to build one (although it was a clone) and am now on the original FC2.1, Rusty/OMM I2C isolator, 1hoch4 ESC,s and so far so good. Once you do the first build and start understanding the system, it gets easier and your confidence grows. Plus I got tons of help from many great people here on RCG.
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:35 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerj View Post
Thanks Steve & Paul - I have actually been looking at my handy work under a microscope which is helping to confirm what looks good or not!

Was having a mare trying to get the solder into the tiny pinpoint space required, kept finding it would join up with the terminal next to it :-(

Checking each joint one at a time now real close up so I can make sure there's no shorting going to occur.

I don't mind a challenge but this one is trying my skills to the limit.

John
I use the fine tip only for very small pads/wires (I2C) and the medium tip for all other joints. Having temperature control on the Hakko unit I am using has helped me a lot, as it does compensate for my lack of skills LOL
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:13 AM
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleroi View Post
I removed the LCD, the outer metal housing, the flash shoe, and anything else I didn't need. Eventually, I removed the battery too, for another 50 grams. Although this was more to not have to worry about charging another battery than it was to save weight.

Here are some photos that show the modified camera beside an unmodified one. They were different colors, though. The modified one was silver, originally.

While I had it apart, I added wires for focusing, tripping the shutter and power.

I'm away for a few days, but if anyone is interested in more details or photos, I will supply them when I return home.

- Don

Edit: Now that I think about it, I believe I added wires for power only. I think that focus and trip are through the expansion connector. More on that later.
Hi Don
I also use the EP1 on my Octo, thought I haven't been as drastic as you and striped it down, it fly's well in std form.
I did have a fault with it after a few weeks so just as well it was not striped as it was fixed under warranty.
I made up a modified plug to give video out and fire the shutter, just bought a remote shutter cable and pulled it apart as well as a video cable so I could re-wire the plug for both.

John
AAPhoto is offline Find More Posts by AAPhoto
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:55 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPhoto View Post
Hi Don
I also use the EP1 on my Octo, thought I haven't been as drastic as you and striped it down, it fly's well in std form.
I did have a fault with it after a few weeks so just as well it was not striped as it was fixed under warranty.
I made up a modified plug to give video out and fire the shutter, just bought a remote shutter cable and pulled it apart as well as a video cable so I could re-wire the plug for both.

John
Hi John

How did you manage to get both video and shutter trigger to work on the EP1? I had a play with this but could not get both to work simultaneously. The shutter wiring seemed to disbale the video signal. Did this involve a resistor in the wiring? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Cheers, Colin
seagee is offline Find More Posts by seagee
Old Jul 06, 2011, 07:11 AM
Bournemouth UK
Joined Sep 2010
279 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just a quick question. I am using a Futaba 10cg with my quad so that means I am having to use a ppm encoder board, as I don't like extra bits I was wondering if anyone is using the Mk Futaba 2.G receiver??? If so what do you think.

Futaba Receiver R6107SP - Special version

https://www.mikrocontroller.com/inde...roducts_id=477

I could go back to a JR DX9 (had one before) but I worry that only using the one satellite receiver I could easily go out of range, remember in the UK that 2.4 Ghz DSM (JR Spektrum) is one tenth of the power of the US JR radio (9503).

Your thoughts please.

Cheers

Paul
Pjtyros is offline Find More Posts by Pjtyros
Old Jul 06, 2011, 07:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjtyros View Post
Hi Guys,
Just a quick question. I am using a Futaba 10cg
Simple answer:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14354

Advantage: huge range, ppm out, and plugs into your futaba.
Oh, and its also cheaper than anything else you could get.
Oh lawd I just clicked on the ripoffkopter.de link. 80 eur for that?? Ha ha ha.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 06, 2011, 07:37 AM
Bournemouth UK
Joined Sep 2010
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Simple answer:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14354

Advantage: huge range, ppm out, and plugs into your futaba.
Oh, and its also cheaper than anything else you could get.
Oh lawd I just clicked on the ripoffkopter.de link. 80 eur for that?? Ha ha ha.
Thanks for that but my 10CG has the integral TX module so this will not fit.
Cheers
Paul
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:52 AM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
Hello

hi I'm starting to save my Penny's and will be buying a MK soon but have some questions if that's OK to ask one I'm thinking about the Quadro XL and I'm thinking of building it my self to save some money the one thing that scares me is the programming part I'm not really good with computers but do OK how hard is the programming i have had a few quad and have also built i few should i spend the extra money and have a RTF quad built these are just a few of a lot of question info will help Tom
tom6696950 is offline Find More Posts by tom6696950
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:40 AM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Feb 2011
485 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,
Just a quick question. I am using a Futaba 10cg with my quad so that means I am having to use a ppm encoder board, as I don't like extra bits I was wondering if anyone is using the Mk Futaba 2.G receiver??? If so what do you think.

Futaba Receiver R6107SP - Special version

https://www.mikrocontroller.com/inde...roducts_id=477

I could go back to a JR DX9 (had one before) but I worry that only using the one satellite receiver I could easily go out of range, remember in the UK that 2.4 Ghz DSM (JR Spektrum) is one tenth of the power of the US JR radio (9503).

Your thoughts please.

Cheers

Paul
I use this receiver and it works great plug and play and 1 button binding to your futaba
techcapsule is offline Find More Posts by techcapsule
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:53 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprod View Post
Yo don't get much more stability from having more motors
I was at Zoltan's last night and we were discussing Hexa Vs. Quad. He was pretty confident that the Quad is much more wind stable than the Hexa.

He also had a small 12" ish quad he was building with the 8" epp's. It looks pretty cool and would be great to fly in Sport mode.

Mike
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
needle point soldering irons are actually no good, they do not transfer enough heat... I use a medium tip for everything I solder including the pins on the processor.... so try again using a slightly larger tip, use flux, take you time.

Steve
Steve is right. Lots of flux (and flux cleaner after).

More heat is better then less heat. 90% of my soldering is with a 25 watt department store iron even with SMD.

Practice on something first on just how much heat you need. Old computer parts are great for this.

The goal is time... less time to heat up is better than more time. Get in and get out quickly.

I once used a HUGE iron to fix an ESC when I knocked off a small SMD cap. It wasn't pretty, but it did keep me flying over the weekend.
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:59 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that but my 10CG has the integral TX module so this will not fit.
Cheers
Paul
get the frsky tfrsp, I've been using it with my 10cg, so far so good.
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:20 AM
Bournemouth UK
Joined Sep 2010
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmt View Post
get the frsky tfrsp, I've been using it with my 10cg, so far so good.
Thanks for the info, is it that easy??
Cheers
Paul
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bracknell Forest
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3mw View Post
Steve is right. Lots of flux (and flux cleaner after).

More heat is better then less heat. 90% of my soldering is with a 25 watt department store iron even with SMD.

Practice on something first on just how much heat you need. Old computer parts are great for this.

The goal is time... less time to heat up is better than more time. Get in and get out quickly.

I once used a HUGE iron to fix an ESC when I knocked off a small SMD cap. It wasn't pretty, but it did keep me flying over the weekend.
Thanks for the continued advise, I think I have rescued some of the dodgy joints etc having used a microscope to examine them it was a real eye opener seeing what I thought was minute expanded in to large scale

I'm most certainly my own worst enemy as I begin to doubt my skills despite being careful and I just have the dread of building the entire thing then nothing happens when you plug the bty in

Paul has kindly directed me toward a fella that might be able to assist but I do appreciate self assembly teaches us so much more than having it ready built.

Will keep at it but on hold at the moment as I need the replacement CTL from MK before I can do anything else.

Cheers

John
crackerj is offline Find More Posts by crackerj
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:11 PM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
can i down load mk tools with out having a FC just to take a look and if so how do i down load thanks for any help Tom
tom6696950 is offline Find More Posts by tom6696950