SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaysianFlyer View Post
wizprod, I just checked the wiki, which says:

GPS Max Radius

This value defines a circle shaped area around the starting position. Only inside this area position-targets (like waypoints) can be set. If the position is outside of this area, the target will be set onto coordinates on this radius which are the closest to the "outside"-target. The maxiumum length of this radius is 255meters. This is equal to an area of 512m in diameter around the point where the motors of the MK were started.

notice: for PositionHold(PH) there is no range limit (using latest firmware)

I could not find any reference to whether CH will work as well outside this radius. Hope you can help. Thanks
My understanding is the radius is for waypoint plotting only. CH will just come home. I have mine set at 100m and I was able to come home from 120m. Set it low and do some testing to confirm.

Techspy, I'm using a JR9303 radio with my DL system. I had a failsafe the other day in a 5 foot hover, 15 feet away. My dvr showed a quick drop of rssi to 0% and back. This was just enough to have the quad drop on me, no damage. I had not set failsafe. Now my failsafe is set to hover in PH mode. I was thinking of having CH activated also but who knows what it may fly into on its way home. Hope to get further then 120m next time out.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 05:04 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Hmm, I just spoke to him via email and received a response within a couple minutes each time. Said is will be a max of 10 days until I receive it. Hopefully it arrives as he said. At least it was only $18. I will post when I receive it.

I
He replied to my first message too, but nothing since then. I ordered 3 about 6 weeks ago.

I've given some thought to trying to make these, but it's just such a sloppy way to do it when the MK folks could easily give us a version of software that supported it directly. Sometimes I wonder if they get kickbacks from Spektrum

Thanks for mentioning the 3ch S.Bus RX though. I hadn't seen that.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old May 12, 2011, 06:30 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprod View Post
Could it be your goggles/monitor that are sensitive to the signal?

With regards to the failsafe, I'm using the jeti system, works like a charm.
I don't think so because I have the video out from my video receiver going to my monitor (it's not a wireless connection between the two).

Not sure that I can use the Jeti system's failsafe with the OMM converter. Haven't really looked into it though.

OMM, Rusty, or Jim....do you guys know if you can use the Jeti (or other) system to provide failsafe features when using the OMM converter?

Brent
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep
Old May 12, 2011, 08:15 PM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
Can someone tell me if I bought the wrong batteries- I just got 2x Thunder Power 4s 5000mah 20C ProLight batteries for my heavy lift quad, but am wondering if I should have bought the 45C or 65C variants.

Thoughts? Wisdom? Both are greatly appreciated.

-Tom
Tom Frisch is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frisch
Old May 12, 2011, 08:23 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsgodeep View Post

OMM, Rusty, or Jim....do you guys know if you can use the Jeti (or other) system to provide failsafe features when using the OMM converter?

Brent
Hi Brent,

I don't know anything about Jeti, but I can't imagine how you could use it to override the Futaba receiver failsafe. The converter has nothing to do with the failsafe. It just passes along the output of the receiver.

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old May 12, 2011, 08:30 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frisch View Post
Can someone tell me if I bought the wrong batteries- I just got 2x Thunder Power 4s 5000mah 20C ProLight batteries for my heavy lift quad, but am wondering if I should have bought the 45C or 65C variants.

Thoughts? Wisdom? Both are greatly appreciated.

-Tom
Hi Tom,

The answer depends on just how "heavy" the lifting will be.

For example, an Avroto motor at 4S voltage, with an APC 1147 prop can draw up to 23A, so 4 is 92A. Your battery is rated for 100A (5A x 20), so you'd be under the limit. Realistically, you'll be flying at half that current probably, so you'd be fine in this example.

What you need to know is how much current will you really draw. It's also not good to push batteries to their published limits if you want them to have a reasonably long and health life, so it's good to err on the side of more current capacity.

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old May 12, 2011, 09:35 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Hi Brent,

I don't know anything about Jeti, but I can't imagine how you could use it to override the Futaba receiver failsafe. The converter has nothing to do with the failsafe. It just passes along the output of the receiver.

Rusty
Ahhh...didn't know that.
Thanks.

Brent
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep
Old May 12, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
wizprod, buffythesaint, thanks for the feedback. I think I will stick to staying within the 250m radius for now, as from what I understand the extended range Navi requires that you pruchase a new board, so there is probably a hard limit locked in the Navi bootloader or somewhere else on the board. I'll stick to wizprod's words "I don't dare to try it" as well.

If anyone does have more information on this, please do let me know.
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old May 13, 2011, 01:45 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
By the way, if anyone is flying a Droidworx AD8HLE with the 2.1FC, I would appreciate knowing your settings to use as a possible starting point and guide to tuning mine. Thanks
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old May 13, 2011, 07:25 AM
Joined Oct 2010
2 Posts
Crash - maybe problems with SD card

Hey guys!

I've put my hexa in the dirt last night and the folks at the german forum are suggesting that it might be due to an error with the SD card - I've posted details on http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-25024.html

Have any of you experienced any problems with SD card writing and navi board behaving strangely?

There seems to be at least 30 seconds of data missing in the GPX files on the SD card, could it be that the naviboard somehow got stuck, trying to write data to the card and that caused the crash? (I had PH/AH turned on at the moment).

Thanks!
SubOrbit is offline Find More Posts by SubOrbit
Old May 13, 2011, 11:52 AM
Posting, but should be working
Brackendale, BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
251 Posts
Quad XL PID Settings?

Finished installing the Avrotos on my Quad last night (they make a beautiful quiet humming noise like they're singing to me!), and upgraded MKTool and Firmware.

It has been a long winter and so long since I have tinkered with my MK that I feel like I am pretty much starting from scratch.

Does anybody have some tips or settings to use as a starting point for an XL quad

PID starting point would be great... PLEASE

Also, I have on hand some APC 13x6.5's (24gm each) and some EPP 12x4.5's (11gm each) which should I start with. I imagine the smaller lighter props with less inertia will be easier for the motors to adjust the speed quickly. But they are softer and smaller for lift.

Opinions appreciated. It's time to have this thing preforming properly.

Thanks,

Anndrew
furyphoto is offline Find More Posts by furyphoto
Last edited by furyphoto; May 13, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:53 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
801 Posts
MK 3538 fails during flight.

I have had a guts full of these motors....been through 5 all ready just trying to get 8 good ones !

Here is one failing during flight....a bit too close for comfort.

Oktocopter in flight motor failure (0 min 28 sec)

Cheers
booma is offline Find More Posts by booma
Old May 13, 2011, 05:37 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined May 2010
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by booma View Post
I have had a guts full of these motors....been through 5 all ready just trying to get 8 good ones !

http://vimeo.com/23683550/settings

Cheers
How/why did it fail?
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Old May 13, 2011, 06:32 PM
Moscow
Joined Jul 2006
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by booma View Post
Cheers
I dont think it was motor failure by itself. until you do something phisically whith them they are pretty reliable) I bet you have some esc/i2c bugs.

cheers
dimitri
mitmit is offline Find More Posts by mitmit
Old May 13, 2011, 08:49 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
801 Posts
Im pretty sure it was the motor...Its nearly seized now and its been squeaking on and off for a while....ruined some nice shots !

Glad to be rid of it....like pulling a rotten tooth.
booma is offline Find More Posts by booma