HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2011, 09:10 PM
My three sons...
Steamboat Springs Co.
Joined Nov 2004
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Thomas View Post

I am now running 5S (just upgraded all the caps) and have more than enough power lifting a 550D.

Also just put on some APC 11X4.7 seems to be 10% more efficient hovering at around 35A/600w
Sorry out of the MK loop and just saw this post.. Can you send me a link to this 5s upgrade?? Love the idea..

Cheers,

Cedar
Beauregard is offline Find More Posts by Beauregard
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 04:28 AM
Randburg
Joined Jul 2008
343 Posts
5S Upgrade

Replace all caps with 25V versions (the big round ones)

If you still have a FC2.0 you need to also replace these 6 SMD caps with 25v versions!
Ryan Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Thomas
Last edited by Ryan Thomas; May 11, 2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old May 11, 2011, 04:53 AM
Villebon sur yvette, France
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Mike View Post
Well, I hope your "usefull" testing will include a measure of motor/prop response time to step function speed changes. It is not just about lift and vibration but also having fast enough response to work well within the MK control loop. If you have a truely isolated professional test platform you could even do an FFT analysis to show us the motor/prop resonant vibration frequencies.

OMM
I'm sorry Old man Miike I didn't see your message. Thank you Bob.titus for remind it to me.

I will use professionnal accelerometers to measure vibrations but I don't have the right stuff to make this kind on measurements (nor the knowledge about it for now)
My detectors are :
- professionnal accelerometers
- turnigy wattmeter
- hobby king windmeter
and... that's it :/

To measure the time response of the prop I think you have to measure the rotation speed by analyzing the brushless controler phasing no ?
catlord is offline Find More Posts by catlord
Old May 11, 2011, 05:07 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlord View Post
I'm sorry Old man Miike I didn't see your message. Thank you Bob.titus for remind it to me.

I will use professionnal accelerometers to measure vibrations but I don't have the right stuff to make this kind on measurements (nor the knowledge about it for now)
My detectors are :
- professionnal accelerometers
- turnigy wattmeter
- hobby king windmeter
and... that's it :/

To measure the time response of the prop I think you have to measure the rotation speed by analyzing the brushless controler phasing no ?
You can do by measuring the change in thrust for the motor/prop combination. More info here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006721

OMM
Old Man Mike is offline Find More Posts by Old Man Mike
Old May 11, 2011, 10:43 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
Hey, you guys using a LRS with you MK, how many channels do you get it to recognize? Is it seeing all the channels (8 or 12)?

Thanks
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old May 11, 2011, 12:01 PM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
Which battery for camera mount servo

I'm working with a MK heavy lift quad.

I've read that it's best to use a separate battery for powering video downlink to avoid EMI from the main batteries and ESCs. Is it safe to use that same video tx battery for the servos on the camera mount?

Also, if I mount my main battery to the bottom of the camera tray (in order to increase camera mass and reduce vibration) will the longer mains battery wires cause EMI or other issues?

Thanks,

-Tom
Tom Frisch is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frisch
Old May 11, 2011, 12:25 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Hey, you guys using a LRS with you MK, how many channels do you get it to recognize? Is it seeing all the channels (8 or 12)?

Thanks
I'm using Dragon Link, which worked right away without any problems. The DL rx is 9 channels but the PPM stream is output on channel 9(default) The other 8 channels worked and were recognized in MKTools.
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old May 11, 2011, 01:59 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined May 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frisch View Post
I'm working with a MK heavy lift quad.

I've read that it's best to use a separate battery for powering video downlink to avoid EMI from the main batteries and ESCs. Is it safe to use that same video tx battery for the servos on the camera mount?

Also, if I mount my main battery to the bottom of the camera tray (in order to increase camera mass and reduce vibration) will the longer mains battery wires cause EMI or other issues?

Thanks,

-Tom
Don't use a seperate battery. Waste of weight. Twist your wires, and you'll be fine
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Old May 11, 2011, 11:53 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprod View Post
Don't use a seperate battery. Waste of weight. Twist your wires, and you'll be fine
I have to disagree...at least for longer distances. I tested this (granted...not like OMM would have )...and found that when I'm flying further than a about approx 300 feet away...if I'm powering my video TX with the main battery...I will get video cut outs. It just all of the sudden cuts out completely with no prior snow in the picture to warn me.

But...if I power the video tx with a separate battery...it will not cut out.
Granted...I've only had the guts to fly out to .25 miles (wimpy I know)...but I didn't experience any video cut outs. I most certainly would have if powered by the main battery.

The come home switch is a nice safety net when testing this...although I never want to get into a position where I have to use it.

But yes...I agree with you that it's a waste of time and added weight if flying relatively close by using the video just to frame shots...not to fly fpv.

Brent
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep
Old May 12, 2011, 02:31 AM
Joined May 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsgodeep View Post
I have to disagree...at least for longer distances. I tested this (granted...not like OMM would have )...and found that when I'm flying further than a about approx 300 feet away...if I'm powering my video TX with the main battery...I will get video cut outs. It just all of the sudden cuts out completely with no prior snow in the picture to warn me.

But...if I power the video tx with a separate battery...it will not cut out.
Granted...I've only had the guts to fly out to .25 miles (wimpy I know)...but I didn't experience any video cut outs. I most certainly would have if powered by the main battery.

The come home switch is a nice safety net when testing this...although I never want to get into a position where I have to use it.

But yes...I agree with you that it's a waste of time and added weight if flying relatively close by using the video just to frame shots...not to fly fpv.

Brent
Have you tried with noise filters?

Agree on the CH. Also remember to set a failsafe
Old May 12, 2011, 04:09 AM
Stavern/Larvik - Norway
Joined Dec 2008
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprod View Post

Isn't that based on if you have a 5v video tx - connected to one of the ports on the fc?

if you have a 12v video tx and your main battery is a 3s, you could get power directly from one of the leds or wire leading from escs to fc for example.

But what if you use a 4s battery as main battery, wouldn't that cause difficulty if your videotx uses 12v?

Hvordan er været i danmark om dagen forresten?
robin4 is offline Find More Posts by robin4
Old May 12, 2011, 05:32 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that PH is not affected anymore by the Navi radius limit, but does CH also work if you fly outside the Navi limit?
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old May 12, 2011, 07:03 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2008
303 Posts
I have Droidworx AD-6 Heavy Lift Extended copter and a Photohigher AV 200 camera mount (Pro Mount). I have a problem with mounting the photo mount.

According to the instrucions it should be mounted on the landing gear CF tubes but there are no holes in the mount.

Am I missing something? A part? Are there instructions anywhere about this? Pictures attached.
tupelo is offline Find More Posts by tupelo
Old May 12, 2011, 07:07 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
I'm using Dragon Link, which worked right away without any problems. The DL rx is 9 channels but the PPM stream is output on channel 9(default) The other 8 channels worked and were recognized in MKTools.
Thanks for the info. What radio are you using? I have a 12Fg and am beginning to find out that none of the long range systems will work with it in 12 channel mode. Bummer. I sure would like to have more than the 7 channels I have available right now. Anyone know of a 12 channel ppm converter? (currently using the 7 channel OMM design board)
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old May 12, 2011, 07:27 AM
Joined May 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaysianFlyer View Post
I remember reading somewhere that PH is not affected anymore by the Navi radius limit, but does CH also work if you fly outside the Navi limit?
Yep, have no problems with it.. Have been 182 meters away.. CH worked like a charm.