HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2010, 05:51 PM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,440 Posts
Trying to update a FC2.0 .
Its stuck on 78b, i have tried updating, but i keep getting the time out message.
Does anyone have a fix for this?

I tried doing this below....

Update failed?

If an update failed or was interrupted during the transfer, the program in the controller is damaged. Sometimes the FC makes a continuous beeping

{i} don't panic: the bootloder is still active

If a new update is not possible, you can do the following steps:

* connect the PCB directly to the MKUSB via the flat cable (don't use wireless link). Note: for BL-Ctrl use the side connection of the MKUSB.
* disconnect the Jumper of the MKUSB

Select the file in the KopterTool ans start the update

Now install the Jumper during the dots "..." are displayed

Directly after startup the bootloader in the MikroKopter-Electronic starts for 1/2 second - it now recognises the update-command of the KopterTool and the Update is possible
* Try again if this failed - it is a question of timing
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:31 PM
Joined Jan 2008
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjardine View Post
Its stuck on 78b, i have tried updating, but i keep getting the time out message.

Update failed?

If an update failed or was interrupted during the transfer, the program in the controller is damaged. Sometimes the FC makes a continuous beeping

* connect the PCB directly to the MKUSB via the flat cable (don't use wireless link). Note: for BL-Ctrl use the side connection of the MKUSB.

Directly after startup the bootloader in the MikroKopter-Electronic starts for 1/2 second - it now recognises the update-command of the KopterTool and the Update is possible
Hi Simon

Try with the shortest flat cable as possible between mkusb and fc and download again the hex files from mikrokopter.de site. Hope this work for you, in the past this worked for me updating the BL 2.0.

Regards
Javierete is offline Find More Posts by Javierete
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:43 PM
Earth:\Ukraine\Kiev
Joined Sep 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by importon View Post
thanks!

That is a gopro. removed the distortion in after effects.

my fpv system is the HK 900mhz 200 one. less than $50. no osd. not really sure what osd is for.
Good video!

Your GoPro was in a hard case?
What program did You use to remove GoPro's wide angle and what effect in this program?

Wbr,
Vitalik
Vitalik is offline Find More Posts by Vitalik
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:16 AM
Randburg
Joined Jul 2008
343 Posts
Quote:

Update failed?

Simon I had this issue and eventually had to send it back bad bootloader.

So is the 6v thing working?????
Ryan Thomas is online now Find More Posts by Ryan Thomas
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:07 AM
Moscow
Joined Jul 2006
392 Posts
Quote:
Hey Simon,
This worked for me on both 2.0 and 2.1 boards without problem. So if you have timeout that should mean bootloader is damaged..

cheers
dimitri
mitmit is offline Find More Posts by mitmit
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:31 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,632 Posts
I think you should use a Sercon and reflash the bootloader Simon. Remember to disconnect I2C bus from the ESC's when you do this though, or it will mess up..

Cheers
Ian
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:40 AM
Joined Jun 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3mw View Post
10 times is an over current on the motor. This can happen if you managed to screw screws into the motor too far and shorted out one of the power leads.

Jim summarizes it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12997

and

here: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/BL-...lerbeseitigung (you'll have to translate it)

Mike
Hi Mike and thank you for your quick replay.
The problem with BL #2 with 10 times blinked is over. suddenly it Disappeared.
the main probelm now is that ALL the BL Controllers Led are in Red (not blinking) and there is a problem/error with the I2C.
what does it mean when all the BL Led are in RED ?

Thank you.
kastrome is offline Find More Posts by kastrome
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:04 AM
Virginia Mountains
Joined Mar 2010
132 Posts
Quote:

Update failed?

Some time ago, MK sent out a batch of 2.0 boards with the wrong fuse bits set. That may or may not be your problem. To fix, you will need a sercon or AVR ISP. Can you see any data in MKTools?

The process described above does not work on some computers. The USB port sometimes will not have enough power to charge the cap and the USB port resets which causes MKTool to need a restart before any more communication can take place. The workaround is to power the board with external power at the instant that the MKTools terminal is trying to reset the board.

BTW, You should see the FC's bootloader message in the terminal window when the FC first boots up. If you don't see that message then a firmware update will not work. You will need to fix the communication problem first. A trick I use is to simply watch the data out LED on the MKUSB. With nothing hooked up to the MKUSB, the data led will flash repeatedly when the MKTools debug screen is open. That shows that communication is trying to get out. At that point, I will enter the terminal, connect the ribbon cable to the board, apply external power and watch for bootloader messages.

I hope that helps.
kirk222 is offline Find More Posts by kirk222
Last edited by kirk222; Nov 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:20 PM
Joined Sep 2008
700 Posts
Can't update controllers.

I just finished a hexa for my partner and when I put on the Navi/Mag/GPS, I couldn't talk through the debug port on the Navi to anything.

This was including just having the Navi alone connected to the MKUSB with the jumper in place (the jumper provides 5v to the board for power).

I thought it was a bad Navi board, so we swapped it out for another. When I got home, Zoltan gave me an idea to look at the board with a magnifying glass.

Sure enough, in my haste to install the 10 pin header on the debug port on the Navi, I missed a pin soldering. And, I missed the 'right' pin so that it would not talk to the MKUSB.

So, I would have a hard look at your board and make sure you haven't missed something like that. For the most part, these boards are pretty bullet proof.

Make sure you see some sort of 'herald' when the board is powered on for the first time.

If you are getting the 'herald' can you paste it into a reply so we can see how far you are getting? You should be able to power the FC from a Sercon with nothing else connected. If you are getting continues beeps of 2 different tones, that would mean the FC isn't receiving a radio signal. Not a problem at this point. But it does tell us the board is alive.

Also, make sure you have the right update for the right version of board. Which version of the MK board are you using? Is it a genuine MK board or a clone board?

Hope that helps,

Mike
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:24 PM
Joined Sep 2008
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastrome View Post
the main probelm now is that ALL the BL Controllers Led are in Red (not blinking) and there is a problem/error with the I2C.

Thank you.
If you had the problem before, you WILL have it again, likely at the worst time (over water or trees and huge crash). Take some time to do a hard visual look at the screws, wires, etc.

If they are all red, you have no I2C communication. What does it say in MKtools? Have you shorted out your I2C line? Are you using a power distribution board in your construction? Has it ever worked?

I know it sounds like a pain now, but the MK guys have given us some great debugging tools to find problems. Get the MKtools talking to the board.

Mike
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:22 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastrome View Post
Thank you.
Your i2c is not right. The data/clock lines are probably being shorted somewhere, either on the distro or on one of the BLs.

Look very closely at the distro board where you soldered those 6 jumpers that take the i2c signals over the top of the power to the controllers. Some boards are not quite right, and it is possible that the i2c lines can be shorted against the power or gnd under the jumper or where you soldered the jumpers to the distro (check bottom and top of board too).

I think what has happened is that the initial BL has malfunctioned somehow and has not only burned itself up, but damaged the motor. When you fitted the new BL, it tried to start the damaged motor but the motor now has a short circuit and the BL has overloaded and shutdown.

Get a multimeter and check the clock and data lines are not shorted to gnd, power or each other. Check all you BL's - look very closely with a magnifying glass - look for any bits of solder or wires you dropped on them when assembling.
blip is offline Find More Posts by blip
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:50 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
perenial question X mode vs + mode

hi
I am putting together a new frame and can't decide whether to set it up in X or + mode.
I can fly equally averagely in either mode so thats not a problem.

what are the advantages and disadvantages of each mode with regards to flight stability and characteristics, (I am not talking about camera mounting etc)

cheers

Josh
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:07 AM
Flying Canada's Arctic
Canada, NT, Fort Smith
Joined May 2010
511 Posts
FPV gopro and headplay

Has anyone tried using these HD goggles with the FPV output of the gopro? Are folks FPVing with GoPro gettting HD distorted in thier goggles?

http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....roducts_id=245

Thanks
Franco
Flying Canada's Arctic
(Between Cold snaps)
spydmobile is offline Find More Posts by spydmobile
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:42 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined May 2010
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydmobile View Post
Has anyone tried using these HD goggles with the FPV output of the gopro? Are folks FPVing with GoPro gettting HD distorted in thier goggles?

http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....roducts_id=245

Thanks
Franco
Flying Canada's Arctic
(Between Cold snaps)
I haven't seen VTX's supporting the HD output from a camera yet?
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Last edited by wizprod; Nov 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
Flying Canada's Arctic
Canada, NT, Fort Smith
Joined May 2010
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprod View Post
I haven't seen VTX's supporting the HD output from at camera yet?
Exactly, so that means that currently gopro fpv folks must be sending NTSC distorted HD output to NTSC tx, then using an NTSC rx to view video on NTSC goggles resulting in what I imagine is a distored FPV view. however, if at the end, you display the NTSC version on the new HD goggles, would this not at least undo the distortion at the expense of quality?
spydmobile is offline Find More Posts by spydmobile