HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:43 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc View Post
Which E-flights? The 15-25 size? If so wont they be at the limits of what this plane will end up at?

Some predictions on the other thread put the finished weight at around 8lbs.
Good point. Just an FYI to all those that don't know and you probably already all do. The 15-25 size have a max wieght rate on the airframe of 7lbs. I have a set in a plane that is 6.5lbs with battery and they are holding up fine.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:54 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,202 Posts
The electrics have to be the small size, I have heard that the 120 size are way too big.

I have TamJets mini retracts on my 8lb Starfires, I have two, and these minis are severe overkill. A bad landing will just rip them right out. I also have Tam's struts attached.

Bottom line, I think Bob Vincent is on the right track, whatever retracts that will fit, but wire struts. Just bend them back after a bad landing.

Flyboytha1 will build this plane with the best stuff, but based on his past achievements, the cost will be $2500 when finished.

To each his own.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:05 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
26,952 Posts
I'm using Tam's retracts with wires for now. When the struts are available, I'll get them! They come with the matching aluminum wheels
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:07 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
I have Tam's retracts in a 10.5lb plane and they work great. The wire struts are no good off grass though at that weight and bend back on take off every time. Only got worse as time went on and got softer from bending back and forth. Once I put the trailing links on it seems like the units themselves can handle any weight you throw at them.

Brian
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:19 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
... So who has one on here to do a build thread on ????
... I posted a bunch of pictures of the CMPro T-45 I got last week here, just the plane out of the box for now.

Seems nicely made & relatively lightweight compared to other CMPro stuff

I have the fan, motor (Neu) & esc combo, the Springair 602's seem to fit just fine.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1336098&pp=100

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Nov 11, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:39 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
26,952 Posts
Hi Herb,
What Neu motor are you using and how many cells?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:47 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,202 Posts
You guys got me wrong,Tam mini's are great, with struts even better. However there are other other things to consider.

1. waiting time

If you are in a hurry, and want to fly this bird in two weeks or less, I have a spare set of TamJet minis with struts that I will sell at twice the normal price. LOL.... E-Flights you can get tomorrow.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:49 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
26,952 Posts
Al Been hanging with Tam and learning I see I have a set already
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:07 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
Wow, this pic from Herb's blog shows it is quite a bit bigger than the Sapac Hawk. Makes me feel like now I can justify getting it even though I have the Sapac Hawk.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:12 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
26,952 Posts
Wow guys opening the box it really is VERY nice!! I like CMP stuff already as I have their 120 sized Spit converted to electric but this kit is really nice! The paint and pre-printed covering is sharp! it is an eye pleaser for sure. It's just big enough to be a really nice 90mm size plane. Should have a b it better wing loading than the SAPAC too.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:18 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion View Post
Good point. Just an FYI to all those that don't know and you probably already all do. The 15-25 size have a max wieght rate on the airframe of 7lbs. I have a set in a plane that is 6.5lbs with battery and they are holding up fine.
I have the 10-15's in a 6.5lb L-39. A little springy but holding up fine. The 15-25 are the same units, just thicker wire.

Also, I've had good luck with EPF Hobby's DSR46T units. I upgraded to the metal side plates as well. They have a new set with trailing link struts & metal sides. They will be strong enough for this plane if it is in the 8-9lb range.

http://www.southerncrossrc.com/virtu...lete-titan-set
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:54 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,202 Posts
I opened the box, just had to do it. The below quote is good advice based on what I saw and felt. The main wing is thin, built up and covered with CMP thick covering. It will resist wrinkles, but there are several hollow points built into the wood to lighten it up.

Some of you guys could actually over build it into a flying brick. This baby needs to be kept light. It should be built like a heavy foamy. I'm not even sure about the Midi Pro with an ARC motor.

I gotta jump over and see what Herb is doing, for some reason the 90mm setup looks to be too big. OK I jumped over, Herb has it taped together so from basics it looks like the 90mm Midi will fit perfect, the ducts fit.

Note Herb's warning about the wings, very thin and very small. A hard landing might push the gear all the way through. There are some negatives. This plane has to be built light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmrast View Post
I have the 10-15's in a 6.5lb L-39. A little springy but holding up fine. The 15-25 are the same units, just thicker wire.

Also, I've had good luck with EPF Hobby's DSR46T units. I upgraded to the metal side plates as well. They have a new set with trailing link struts & metal sides. They will be strong enough for this plane if it is in the 8-9lb range.

http://www.southerncrossrc.com/virtu...lete-titan-set
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Nov 11, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:02 PM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
645 Posts
I have no involvement with T-45's of any scale, but came across this cool photo of a new and different scheme for the hawk. Ya'll enjoy.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...awk/1811273/M/

bigjohn is online now Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:04 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
26,952 Posts
Al it just needs to be landed, not dropped on the runway
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2010