HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:16 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
468 Posts
Nose gear too short so wind forces it down... ?
heychas is offline Find More Posts by heychas
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:40 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,158 Posts
Probably nose gear leg too short. Try a longer strut or bigger wheel. Good luck with it, it's a very nice flying edf jet for that price

T-45 Hawk 90mm by CMP (BAe Hawk) Aerobatics (3 min 22 sec)
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:57 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Probably nose gear leg too short. Try a longer strut or bigger wheel. Good luck with it, it's a very nice flying edf jet for that price

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKENlmPqXMg

I notice at the end of the flight the plane hopped up a couple of times ....mine did the same the other day but with a nasty tip stall...

Is it because of front landing gear being long?

Thx in advance
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Well couple things helped mine there. I'm using the very short RC Lander all metal gear and struts. They have stiff springs and hard tires. Hence it bounces when it rolls. First thing I did is cut a couple (two) coils off the springs and re-streched them and changed the wheels to Robart (or any other) soft no bounce wheels.

The sticking to the runway on take off is easy. Remember NO elevator during run up. When you reach sufficient speed double tap the elevator stick. She'll come up : )

Enjoy.
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
What fan was that and what was the power consumption Herb? It flew very nice on 6s.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:00 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
RC Lander 9S. A little adjustment on the Angle of Attack (AoA) makes alot of difference. Increasing front wheel size and decreasing main wheels size a few millemeters will certainly help.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
102 Posts
I will post a video of my maiden flight tonight. Had to pull off ground and when landed the small wheels dug in and pulled loose from mounts. I have since fixed and flew from asphalt but take off was same. I also am using rclander gear. And did have to raise nose gear up into fuse to get it to retract all the way. But by doing this it did shorten the nose so it sits at a slight nose down angel. I will raise it back up and try on next flight.
Bpitts is offline Find More Posts by Bpitts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
102 Posts
bpitts cmp t-45 (2 min 20 sec)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
102 Posts
Ok tell me what you think
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:22 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpitts View Post
Ok tell me what you think
Planes flies good. Not made for grass! Your not moving fast enough for lift off. Your lucky you didn't tip stall it and crash on take off. Grass will rip out small planes landng gear when you land too. Any thing less than 3 inch wheels belongs on pavement. You'll love it on pavement. Also try, 15 - 20 degrees of flaps to help with the lift if you don't have a long paved runway. GL
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
102 Posts
Yes i tried on pavement once used about 40 deg. Flap did same thing i think its a combo of things mabey a little nose heavy nose strut to short.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Yes i tried on pavement once used about 40 deg. Flap did same thing i think its a combo of things mabey a little nose heavy nose strut to short.
Only use 10 to 15 deg. on takeoff. 40 deg. slowed you down.

Tony
T-spin is offline Find More Posts by T-spin
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
102 Posts
Ill try that also next time.Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
WHOA! Waaay too much flaps. It acts like drag chute at 40 + %. Only a slight bit of flaps helps with lift at slower speeds. Even then not that much. You still need much more speed than your takeoff run in the video shows.

I have the same fan set up. But I couldn't get 10S to balance with 5000mAh paks. So, 9S balances for me. Behaves very well on approach. Just like an eagle trying to grab a goher. The mains drop and the nose is slightly elevated and it glides in that way with full flaps and about 1/8 inch of aileron reflex.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,681 Posts
Quote:
Hey Bpitts, what retracts and struts were you using...

This is the first time I've seen a short strut small wheel plane take off from grass like this
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771