Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:27 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
I have not watched the whole vid yet but why are the nav lights flashing?.
Gaz-b is online now Find More Posts by Gaz-b
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:54 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
Tulare Condors. We have the entire north parking lot of the Calif Farm Show parking lot. I'm guessing 300 feet wide by 2500 feet long paved.. Great for EDFs and any planes with small wheels.

The Exteter club just got a new coat of black top and paint. Looks very nice. But, its a bit shor for EDF's as you mentioned.
That's right. I forgot about the guys out there. I flew there with my dad back in the late 90's when it was just DG and not paved. Latley when I am home we just go behind the hill behind my parents house where there is a long streatch of road that is not used much. The road is a little narrow and there a canal on one side but you have 1/2 mile to land so it's not really a problem.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:56 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerv View Post
Oh, haha, must missed that part. I would like to share my exp with you before you go maiden. I crashed mine at the 12th flight due to too much aileron reflex on the final landing turn, down wind leg.....Tip stalled and death spiral dive. I was experimenting with flap+aileron relex on the last two flights, and here's my conclusion: I'd suggest you don't use flap+aileron reflex during ur first flight, or keep your speed up if you decide to use it, or use it only when you going straight don't use it on the bank turn. I don't have VG on mine, but mine is probably lighter than yours (6s and wemo setup at 7lb). I hope my crash exp can aid ur successful maiden. Looking forward to watch your maiden! Good luck.

btw, I think wind fences should be installed in the middle of the wing where flap meets aileron, it works as a lifter divider. The lifting force from wing root to tip is like this: High ----> low, if you have fence in the middle, then it's like: High-->low|high-->low
Thank you VERY much for your insight/experience. I shall heed your warning! I will do some high altitude slow flight testing with flaps deployed especially to see if I need any elevator mix to compensate for pitch. And of cousre to get the "feel" of her before trying a landing. Wing fences are more wing tip stabilizers and probably aren't even needed. But I was on a roll
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-spin View Post
How much reflex did you have in it ?

Tony
Actually I have much less than the video shows. About 1/8 of an inch.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:00 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
I have not watched the whole vid yet but why are the nav lights flashing?.
Because that is the way the kit came

It's been my expierence with landing jets. Too slow is a killer. Fly the plane all the way in under power until the mains touch the ground. Or your asking for a tip stall for sure. My F-16 has no flaps at all, I hade to use flaperons as you know flap near the wing tips is asking for it. However, once she is lined up I hit the switch and she drops at a very steep angle. Guessing 30% I have to be Johnny on the spot to get the flare at the last possible second to keep from splaying my gear. All the while under power. It is very cool to see. My F9-F8 Cougar is another one that needs to fly ALL the way in or, over she goes.

My Mig-15, F-18 and A-4, A-10 all glide in. They don't need any power. It always goes the heavier the plane the more you need power to land it. I hope this one will be as much fun as the other. She is a very cool looking jet. I'll make a maiden video so you guys can see how it works out.
Last edited by DaveBC; Jan 24, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
Fixed

Thanks Dave...very helpful
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:39 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
I never understood how a plane tip stalls on approach if you are not making a turn.
Can someone explain.

If you are coming in to land and there is no turning, cut power I can see it coming down like a rock but not a tip stall.
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:00 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000 View Post
I never understood how a plane tip stalls on approach if you are not making a turn.
Can someone explain.

If you are coming in to land and there is no turning, cut power I can see it coming down like a rock but not a tip stall.
How I understand it is, the air foil sticks to the top of the wing travelling over it and out behind it. Then ususally starting at the tip (or thinest part of the wing) the air comes loose and continues to come loose from the wing tip to the fuselage. Depending on which tip the stall started on the wing will dip because the other wing still has the lift.
Last edited by DaveBC; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:54 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Tip stall

hope this helps:
TIP STALL EFFECTS While tip stall is defined as the stall of the outer portion of the wing , a wing does not necessarily stall everywhere along its length at the same AOA.UnstableTip stall may cause a loss of ailerons and reduced control near stall.Region of StallTip stall often comes with Center of Pressure swept wing design and is Center of Gravity undesirable since there Aerodynamic Center would be little stall warning,a serious reduction in lateral control effectiveness and the TIP STALL forward shift of the center of pressure would contribute to pitchup. Since impending root stall is primarily signaled by turbulence from the root impacting the stabilator, the pilot would receive little natural warning if the tips stalled well before the root.Tip stall causes the center of pressure (CP) on each wing to move in and forward . The aerodynamic center (AC) consequently moves forward relative to the CG. Should the AC move forward of the CG, the aircraft could pitch up uncontrollably if the stabilator cannot counter the pitchup. The T-45 does not have sufficient stabilator effectiveness to raise the nose high enough to achieve a total loss of longitudinal stability at
slow speed
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:44 AM
USA, NY, Sayville
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
Hi guys. I've been following this thread for quite some time now and I am in the building process of the T45 as well. I've read through various discussions about wing fences and vortex generators. My question is, has anyone used them together? And is there any reason to only have 1 wing fence per wing? I fly where i don't really have too much room to roll out on landing so I'm a little afraid of coming in too hot. Any help is appreciated and thanks to everyone for all the insight on this airplane!
bossmanx5 is offline Find More Posts by bossmanx5
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:37 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
Just watched the remainder of the vid well skipped a lil bit please extend your motor cables and move the esc close to the batts.The battery cables need to be kept short as supplied the esc will fail sooner or later as you have it unless you have added a lot of caps to the esc plenty of space to fit the heat sink in the intake ducks up front.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20321894.
And at the end of your vid I noticed wing fences in a very odd position not sure what affect they will have there.Post 739.what is your AUW. I hope this does not read like I am picking just don't to see it burn if it's preventable I take it you are aware the instructions are incorrect and the CG should be 105/110mm.

Gary
Gaz-b is online now Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:38 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Maiden Flight Video

Hi guys,

Maiden flight was uneventful. Awsome flying super stable plane. I love it! I must kick my self...I landed and was on the ground should have NOT touched the sticks..... BUT, I tried to make a little correction of direction and it was still moving very fast. It tilted cacked up my nose and scraped my wing tip... Lesson learned

Glass work is done and filler, sand and pait. Be good as new.

I had no one to film for me. So, I placed the cam on tripod. I edited out all but what was viewable. Was just tirm, stall and slow flight testing anyway. Once I had it dialed in I made a pass for the camera. Probably a little over 1/2 throttle.

Enjoy:
CMP Pro 90MM T-45 Goshawk Maiden Flight.wmv (2 min 35 sec)
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:04 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
Just watched the remainder of the vid well skipped a lil bit please extend your motor cables and move the esc close to the batts.The battery cables need to be kept short as supplied the esc will fail sooner or later as you have it unless you have added a lot of caps to the esc plenty of space to fit the heat sink in the intake ducks up front.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20321894.
And at the end of your vid I noticed wing fences in a very odd position not sure what affect they will have there.Post 739.what is your AUW. I hope this does not read like I am picking just don't to see it burn if it's preventable I take it you are aware the instructions are incorrect and the CG should be 105/110mm.

Gary
Thanks for taking time to share with me your point of veiw. I don't see you as nit picking. Its all valid information. I have followed the "extend your leads add caps" debate for some time. 8MM sockets only, etc.... It actually does matter to a point IMHO, I have been Using Hobbywing HV ESC's with out fail for a couple of years. (extended leads that is) and have yet to suffer a failure. Not to say its not down the road somewhere. As for question about the fences on the wing tips. I acutally worked out well. VERY stable at high and LOW speed. I credit the Vortice Generators for the slow speed handing. I believe the wing fences in this case act more like the up turned wing tips you see on commercial jet airliners. Nil point now any way as I have already flown it. I went with the CG at 105mm as well. Only needed a couple clicks of down elevator to trim her out. I have a feelilng I'll be spending alot of time with this plane
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:18 PM
USA, NY, Sayville
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
Dave, congrats on the maiden, and sorry for the minor damage. I watched your build video. I also encountered major frustration with nose gear doors and sequencers. I wound up with a 3 door system 2 front 1 behind the nose gear. I used the Assan programmable sequencer from hobby king. I'll post a video for anyone who wants to see how I did it. I also noticed toward the end of your build video, when you were panning around the completed model that your horizontal stabs looked like they are at different angles to the fuse. Did the plane have any tendency to roll when you used the elevator inputs?

Tony
bossmanx5 is offline Find More Posts by bossmanx5
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossmanx5 View Post
Dave, congrats on the maiden, and sorry for the minor damage. I watched your build video. I also encountered major frustration with nose gear doors and sequencers. I wound up with a 3 door system 2 front 1 behind the nose gear. I used the Assan programmable sequencer from hobby king. I'll post a video for anyone who wants to see how I did it. I also noticed toward the end of your build video, when you were panning around the completed model that your horizontal stabs looked like they are at different angles to the fuse. Did the plane have any tendency to roll when you used the elevator inputs?

Tony
Assan programmible, huh? I'm sure programmable would have made the difference. I tried 4 different sequencers. I'm glad you came up with a good system.

The nose is almost fixed. I did the fiberglass yesterday, filler/bondo today. Tomorrow I'll sand it and paint. Clear coat by the weekend.

The stabilizer must be an optical. It is VERY stable with all control surfaces at zero. Elevator tabs are precisely the same. Only needed two clicks down and maybe a click or two on the roll axis and it was hands off. When doing a cuban 8 turn there was no roll at all, it stayed exactly where I put it.

Edit* I looked at the video. At the very end when panning around the completed plane the elevator not the stabilizer was slightly higher on the left side. Due to one side being manually moved out of sync with the other. Probably bumped it when messing with it. Once powered it aligns perfectly.
Last edited by DaveBC; Jan 26, 2012 at 02:16 PM.