SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
i didnt do bae hawk fences on mine, i did t-45 VG's. with about 1/8" reflex in the ailerons, and the VG's it had super tame low speed handling. ill probably do another one of these some day. i really enjoyed mine.
Is aileron "reflex" the same as "differential"?
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:23 PM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Differential is more up then down for ailerons.
Reflex -I think- is both ailerons up, to reduce tip stall, since center wing will have more angle of attack and will stall first. So is stall condition the plane will drop the nose instead of tip. Much easier to recover.
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:41 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss View Post
Differential is more up then down for ailerons.
Reflex -I think- is both ailerons up, to reduce tip stall, since center wing will have more angle of attack and will stall first. So is stall condition the plane will drop the nose instead of tip. Much easier to recover.
Takis
Oh is see, so you would mix a small percent of Negative flaperon ... say 15% to 100% elevator. That would move both ailerons slighty up with the elevator while still active ailerons... interesting... giving you a slight crow when flaps are deployed too.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:47 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17 View Post
Thanks for the template Kevin. Sorry if I missed it but what material did you use to make the fences?

I have ordered the HK Hawk and hopefully will have it by March

I did the live chat with HK CS and they said at least 3 or 4 more weeks

S
I used some ABS sheet that I had in a junk drawer...Maybe 1/16" thick...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:49 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,075 Posts
i just added reflex permanently, since there was no washout built into the wings, which really makes for a bad tip stall. i did not have them mixed with the elev.

i sold my t45 back in the summer. its a draggy model, but great flying, and accualy had a pretty slow landing speed with full 35 deg of flaps.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:08 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,154 Posts
I made my fences out of a plastic container
From michaels. Worked out great. Nice and stiff
And it only cost 2 dollars
Mannyman535 is offline Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
I'm at a cross point with the wing fence. Would someone who has successfully used them please post pics of the location on wing. I'm not sure where to go with it. Rib on the top or bottom? Middle of wing or tip? Angle with the fuselage or square with the wing? Fence on bottom and Vortice Generators on top? Appreciated,

Dave
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Hey guys, Set up phase of the build. I need throws and max flap deployed throw. Tried and true CG. I have approx 1/4 aileron reflex is that too much? Tame it down some? Differential is 30%. Please chime in guys. This is cruicial stuff.

Thanks,

Dave
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,378 Posts
way to much reflex no more than 1/8in
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Thank you very much. Input greatly appreciated. Can you comment on any of my other requests?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:12 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
I've been reading up on reflex. It seems like the same thing the sailplane guys use. Crow. However, they use WAY more than 1/8 inch. Can you help me understand why we are using 1/8 inch for jets?

I have my T-45 set up using flaperon and flaps. I have mixed the flap function of the flaperon with the regular flaps. But I have the ailerons going up 1/8 inch when I deploy flaps while the flaps go down 1/2 inch 3/4 max. That is the only time any "reflex/crow" is active.

Sailplane guys have it around the same each way. Why is it different with jets?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
crow is different ...it would put flaps down and alierons up ...more than "reflex" reflex is more to change the air foil...to add some fake washout to the wing ...just a little goes a long way toward changing the stall and hleping to put some drag on, and raise the nose a bit .all these together can really tame a tip stalling beast and slow the landing and delay the stall quite a bit.it helped a bunch on my E-flite BAe Hawk.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:52 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
crow is different ...it would put flaps down and alierons up ...more than "reflex" reflex is more to change the air foil...to add some fake washout to the wing ...just a little goes a long way toward changing the stall and hleping to put some drag on, and raise the nose a bit .all these together can really tame a tip stalling beast and slow the landing and delay the stall quite a bit.it helped a bunch on my E-flite BAe Hawk.
Thank you very much AIR SALLY! I understand. Does she need any elevator mixed with reflex and flaps?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:49 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
im sure it will ..which way im not sure ...i dont have this plane yet ...on my smaller BAe hawk when reflex was put in it needed down mixed in .flaps may need up elev. you will just have to try it in the air and see which way it goes then make adj. once on the ground and work toward dialing it in .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:39 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
im sure it will ..which way im not sure ...i dont have this plane yet ...on my smaller BAe hawk when reflex was put in it needed down mixed in .flaps may need up elev. you will just have to try it in the air and see which way it goes then make adj. once on the ground and work toward dialing it in .
Right, Thanks. Does anyone know how she acts with full flaps? Does she pitch up or down?