Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:28 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
So are the VGs functional?

Will aileron gyros reduce snapping on slower than need be landings?

I'm asking cause I had the 64mm and 70mm T-45 and they both want to snap on a wrong AOA take off or a landing that comes in too slow. The EPO version I have I kept it light and that helped and when I gyro'd them it was near impossible to roll them especially in that errant cross wind. I'm going to try to fly this one at around 4.5 to 5.5pds..5-8pds of thrust depending on how it flys.

Such a nice model, thinking of buying another one just in case

Thx for any input
I thought simply adding a little crow with the flaps down alleviated this problem? I think I have read a few people have been doing this with good results.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2011, 12:12 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
Shoot, come in at 81 oz empty...that should be 6.5pds fly weight with 7.5lbs of thrust on my 12s 50 amp setup. I"m not flying with the intakes either...heavier than I expected but don't think I can get it any lighter I'm even using the smaller PZ etracts.

Did another heat test on the TACON 810kv motor with the thrust tube and did heat up more than I thought it should but it didn't hold heat even after almost a minute WOT.

Gonna Maiden this weekend, hopefully will get some vids
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:05 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,299 Posts
Good luck on the maiden!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Dec 08, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Hi Guys... I could use some help. I ordered up the T-45 and I am about to buy all the parts i need to build it out... but I could really use some help on what to order and what is needed...

I was really into RC planes 20-25 years ago... built countless planes from piles of balsa, flew competitions, trained people, etc.. but it was much easier back then... there was really just one type of servo used in most of the planes and nitro motors were pretty easy to figure out.. even in ducted fan jets. I've been away from the hobby the last 15 or so years (working and flying real planes) and I am just getting back into things. This whole electric thing is a foreign to me.. no clue what i need with regards to a fan+motor+controler+batteries for my new jet. I'm assuming I just use standard size servos? I have been playing around with some RTF electric fixed wings just to get use to the electric side of things.. but they have come pre built with all the electrics (an I can't believe how damn cheap it is to get a plane you can go out and fly in 5 min.)

Anyway... Can you make so suggestions to help me out? Not looking to push the edge with regards to performance (meaning i want a reliable set up.. but certianly want the the best performance i can get while keeping things reliable. I am planning to pick up a cheap foamy electric DF jet just to get use to the concept of an electric jet before i toss the T-45 up in the air (and the T-45 is likely just a step on to something else.)

So... knowing i don't know the electric lingo.. what should i be picking up for my T-45?
Fan unit suggestion??
BAttery suggestion??
Speed control??

Thx
gregtay is offline Find More Posts by gregtay
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:01 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtay View Post
Hi Guys... I could use some help. I ordered up the T-45 and I am about to buy all the parts i need to build it out... but I could really use some help on what to order and what is needed...

I was really into RC planes 20-25 years ago... built countless planes from piles of balsa, flew competitions, trained people, etc.. but it was much easier back then... there was really just one type of servo used in most of the planes and nitro motors were pretty easy to figure out.. even in ducted fan jets. I've been away from the hobby the last 15 or so years (working and flying real planes) and I am just getting back into things. This whole electric thing is a foreign to me.. no clue what i need with regards to a fan+motor+controler+batteries for my new jet. I'm assuming I just use standard size servos? I have been playing around with some RTF electric fixed wings just to get use to the electric side of things.. but they have come pre built with all the electrics (an I can't believe how damn cheap it is to get a plane you can go out and fly in 5 min.)

Anyway... Can you make so suggestions to help me out? Not looking to push the edge with regards to performance (meaning i want a reliable set up.. but certianly want the the best performance i can get while keeping things reliable. I am planning to pick up a cheap foamy electric DF jet just to get use to the concept of an electric jet before i toss the T-45 up in the air (and the T-45 is likely just a step on to something else.)

So... knowing i don't know the electric lingo.. what should i be picking up for my T-45?
Fan unit suggestion??
BAttery suggestion??
Speed control??

Thx
You may just want to follow Herb's 6 cell setup, well documented here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336098

(start here maybe: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1001)

Go with what works and use fan units with a proven track record. They don't have to be expensive, just known solid units like HET, Haoya, WeMoTec, etc.

If you don't understand the current electric flight technology, how to choose a power setup, what manufacturers to use (and stay away from), etc, I suggest reading up in the beginner section:

http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...ft-electric-8/

and the Power System Section:

http://www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13/

Just remember, Nitroplanes / Hobbypartz, Hobbyking and other cheap places are good for only some things. For example, I would be nervous trying to install any of the Hobbyking offerings for retracts for this Jet, but Turnigy and Zippy Batteries are as good as just about any battery available (all hobby grade lipos are made in China you know).

Good luck, read lots, ask questions, and get a simulator to practice on high wing loading / fast airplanes to awaken those skills once again. It's like riding a bike after all.
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Last edited by mattyhawk; Dec 08, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk View Post
You may just want to follow Herb's 6 cell setup, well documented here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336098

(start here maybe: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1001)

Go with what works and use fan units with a proven track record. They don't have to be expensive, just known solid units like HET, Haoya, WeMoTec, etc.

If you don't understand the current electric flight technology, how to choose a power setup, what manufacturers to use (and stay away from), etc, I suggest reading up in the beginner section:

http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...ft-electric-8/

and the Power System Section:

http://www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13/

Just remember, Nitroplanes / Hobbypartz, Hobbyking and other cheap places are good for only some things. For example, I would be nervous trying to install any of the Hobbyking offerings for retracts for this Jet, but Turnigy and Zippy Batteries are as good as just about any battery available (all hobby grade lipos are made in China you know).

Good luck, read lots, ask questions, and get a simulator to practice on high wing loading / fast airplanes to awaken those skills once again. It's like riding a bike after all.
Thanks much.. very helpful.. and i plan on doing lots of reading. (and aobut the retracts... I was going to order the Hawk retracts from HK for my T-45.. but now you have me second guessing that decision.. would like the air retracts from NP for the T45 but it sounds like they may never come in.
gregtay is offline Find More Posts by gregtay
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:53 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtay View Post
Thanks much.. very helpful.. and i plan on doing lots of reading. (and aobut the retracts... I was going to order the Hawk retracts from HK for my T-45.. but now you have me second guessing that decision.. would like the air retracts from NP for the T45 but it sounds like they may never come in.
Depends, the Hawk retracts may be fine, but untested, so wait if you can to see if they get good reviews. Electric retracts have been hit or miss on HK, so use caution.

Spring Air (like Herb) are tried and true (I like them), but not made for the plane so extra work may be required to make fit. Landers are a popular choice I have seen, but on the heavy side from side-by-side weigh-ins.
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:21 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,648 Posts
Changesun has some nice retracts that I think will fit this plane, however I am unsure about the nosewheel steering on the units they sell. With nice struts they are gonna be $100, and for $50 more you can have the indestructible Lander ones. Decisions decisions.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:35 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,079 Posts
wing fences installed thanks Kevin for the templates
i might do some vg also
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:30 AM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
subscribed
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:02 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,079 Posts
Maidened the new hawk yesterday. The wing fences
Made a big difference and I left off some
Of the plastic pieces that was mentioned
In another forum. The landing was nice and slow
Next flight will be a 8s setup. Tacon 1700kv
Wemotec midi fan
cs 90mm setup. 6s 5000 setup
Rclander retracts
cc ice 100
Medusa bec.
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Dec 24, 2011, 06:30 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Congratz on your maiden. I'm building one too. May I get the wing gate info from you? Why do you feel it neccessary? My build is CMP T-45 with RCLander retracts and RCLander 90MM DPS EDF on 9S...
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:55 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
Congratz on your maiden. I'm building one too. May I get the wing gate info from you? Why do you feel it neccessary? My build is CMP T-45 with RCLander retracts and RCLander 90MM DPS EDF on 9S...
The template for the fences was posted a few pages back in this thread. In the real aircraft they help prevent span wise flow that can cause early flow separation (stall). It should also help this in models as well. It can't hurt and makes a great looking plane look even better.

Merry Christmas to you in V-town. If space-a had been a little friendlier my family and I would be in Visalia with the rest of my family.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:04 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
The template for the fences was posted a few pages back in this thread. In the real aircraft they help prevent span wise flow that can cause early flow separation (stall). It should also help this in models as well. It can't hurt and makes a great looking plane look even better.

Merry Christmas to you in V-town. If space-a had been a little friendlier my family and I would be in Visalia with the rest of my family.
God Bless you my distant brother. May he have mercy on your T-45

I'll bite the bullit and read on this thread. See what I can learn. What is the best CG consensus BTW?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:37 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyman535 View Post
wing fences installed thanks Kevin for the templates
i might do some vg also
Glad I could help and congrats on the maiden...Did the fences fit your wing without much fiddling???...I'm courious if the templates printed out for you without having to mod them much...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene