HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:00 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
I haven't checked the thread in a while, so I might have missed it.

Are there any place that has the stock landing gear struts available now? Not the Lander modified version, but the stock struts.

I know HK had them, but sold out faster than iPhone 6...
Nope...And I searched high and low!!!...I'm really happy with the Lander retracts...Very stout!!!..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:07 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2007
341 Posts
Sorry to hear the crash Manny. Are you using Spektrum? Sounds like an TX lockout to me. Happened to me before, not the T-45, but does exact the same thing, full throttle, roll to right. then head on collision with mother earth. I remember when I bind the receiver to the TX, I didn't attach the wing nor throttle, so no safe mode on ailerons or throttle which may caused the full throttle and right roll. I never figure out what caused the lockout though.
nerv is online now Find More Posts by nerv
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:18 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Don't want to bring up another radio brand war, but I've been a FASST user since the day it came out and have yet to have one incidence of any weirdness, and that includes loss of binding, brownouts, lockout, etc. And I fly multiple times every week, everything from EDF to 12S 700 size helicopters. If you are having radio anomalies I'd seriously recommend you to reconsider your system.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:57 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Oh no!!!...Sorry to hear that!!!...Conduct an NTSB type investigation to find the probable cause---I wouldn't fly anything else until the TX is cleared...Then go through the rest of the plane...If possible, let us know the cause...Again, sorry!!!

Kevin
Thanks. I was thinking it was the tx also. I use a dx7. With hk rec with a sat. The weird thing is the brown outs only happen at the particular field, I fly at several others and I don't have any problems. Ill post some pictures of the crash. When I got to the crash the rec was still on and the battery distroyed but still had enough to power the plane. The rec wasn't blinking.
The other conclusion was the bec on the ice 100. I lost three planes in the same location at this field.
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:59 PM
edf flyer
Joined Feb 2009
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
Don't want to bring up another radio brand war, but I've been a FASST user since the day it came out and have yet to have one incidence of any weirdness, and that includes loss of binding, brownouts, lockout, etc. And I fly multiple times every week, everything from EDF to 12S 700 size helicopters. If you are having radio anomalies I'd seriously recommend you to reconsider your system.
I'm looking to buy a futaba 8fg. At least I don't have to worry about brown outs.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:07 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
I think you will find the 8FG, well, Let's just say Super. I have been using mine for 2 years without ever having a problem. Hundreds of flight hours.
It is also feature rich.
Dual timers, count up on one and down on the other. Display them LARGE. Trigger them from a point on the throttle curve. More options than you can shake a stick at. Excellent choice.

Almost maidened my T-45 today but I did not want to get her wet!!!
It only rains in Phoenix when I want to fly a new plane. Ha Ha.

Anyhow looks like Wednesday.
Change Sun Fan and 1900Kv CS motor combo.
Ice-100
Hitec servos
HK Electric retracts.

Getting 5.25 lbs of thrust on the test stand at about 2000W and about
5.0lbs of thrust with a spring scale tied to the tail and a post.

Weight came in at 7lbs and one ounce. I was shooting for 6.5lbs.....

We shall see on Wednesday.
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Nov 08, 2011, 01:38 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
T45 ChangeSun 90mm 1900kv

Here are a couple of charts from the Ice 100 in my new T45.
Running the ChangeSun fan on a test stand and then in the plane.
Plane came in at 7lbs 1 oz so it is not a light weight. Needed 4 clicks of right aileron trim and that was it.

Used flaps at full setting for landing and a slow fly by and I must say I like the low speed characteristics. Nice for landing. No problems at all.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:28 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Youngstown, PA 15696
Joined May 2002
476 Posts
HET power set up

Hey guys,

Not all that versed on EDF. Will this work for this Hawk?

HET 9305-700 90mm fan and 700-60-1485KV motor

Thanks,

Tony
Pilot_Tony is offline Find More Posts by Pilot_Tony
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:35 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Was there an aborted landing on the second chart?
What was the current draw? I suspect you were pretty close to 100A. The ESC seemed to be getting hot (170F?)

Congratulations on the maiden!!!
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:39 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_Tony View Post
Hey guys,

Not all that versed on EDF. Will this work for this Hawk?

HET 9305-700 90mm fan and 700-60-1485KV motor

Thanks,

Tony
Tony,

What battery are you planning to use with it? It seems this motor wants a 10S battery... Also--1200W seems a little low for this plane, in my opinion. I would go with the HET 700-68, 2250kV if you are going with 6S (this is my setup), or 1680kV if you are going with 8S (a friend of mine is doing that). That's my opinion. The 700-68 gets slightly warm (definitely not hot) at 2500W and 5.25lb thrust, on a 6S 5000mAh 40C Turnigy battery.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:50 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Youngstown, PA 15696
Joined May 2002
476 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I definitely want to do a 6S 5000mah set up since I only have a CC Ice 100 on hand at the moment. I missed today's HK stock by seconds, hopefully can get one on the new stock up.

As for the gear, I'm on the fence whether to go with e-tracts or conventional Spring Air type. This is what I found for the e-tract route:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_1pc_54g.html

and this for struts:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/sclageforcmp.html

Now if they will just get them back in stock

Thanks,

Tony

PS was looking at the other NP Hawk thread. Is anyone doing a full flying tail mod on this one or just the stock two servo setup(yuck)?
Pilot_Tony is offline Find More Posts by Pilot_Tony
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:29 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Was there an aborted landing on the second chart?
What was the current draw? I suspect you were pretty close to 100A. The ESC seemed to be getting hot (170F?)

Congratulations on the maiden!!!
Actually the temp was under 120 deg F for the entire flight. Ambient was about 50 degrees so I will not be flying this in the summer. A trait that is true with all my jets. Not for summer in Arizona....LOL

I checked the .csv file for the second graph and the peak current was 91 amps. Not sure why but I am getting more out of this setup in the air than on the test stand. I would have thought it would unload a little in the air or be near the same as on the stand.

Long as the current stays under 95 amps and the temp stays under 120 deg I will be a happy flier....

Thanks for your comments, JR
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:36 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Temp and Current chart
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:59 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyman535 View Post
Thanks. I was thinking it was the tx also. I use a dx7. With hk rec with a sat. The weird thing is the brown outs only happen at the particular field, I fly at several others and I don't have any problems. Ill post some pictures of the crash. When I got to the crash the rec was still on and the battery distroyed but still had enough to power the plane. The rec wasn't blinking.
The other conclusion was the bec on the ice 100. I lost three planes in the same location at this field.
One thing to consider: were you using this $10 orange receiver? This might not be a transmitter problem after all. I've been flying a DX7 for 3 years, and switched to JR X9503 recently. Never had problems, but I used good, full range receivers.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:33 AM
edf flyer
Joined Feb 2009
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
One thing to consider: were you using this $10 orange receiver? This might not be a transmitter problem after all. I've been flying a DX7 for 3 years, and switched to JR X9503 recently. Never had problems, but I used good, full range receivers.
Yes I was using the orange 6 ch rec. I just purchased the 9 ch to add crow. Too late for that. When hk. or a cmp vendor get the new color scheme I'll get another. I really liked this jet. Or get another from nitroplanes on black Friday.