HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
94 Posts
Discussion
fixed pitch coaxial mod

hello i have an idea and i want you to tell me what you think about it...i have a Nine eagles 4ch coaxial micro heli that i'm going to replace for a lama2-1 and i'm thinking of getting rid of the stabilizer and make the upper blade fixed somehow...do you think that it will actually fly like a normal heli without stabilizer or it is going to be a mess?
dukeofdream is offline Find More Posts by dukeofdream
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
It's going to be a mess without the flybar's control. Good chance it won't even fly straight up, instead shooting off towards the one human in the room who cannot run for it. Sorry Gramma!

Come see my HUGE 3-channel Helicopter collection!
http://www.killbuckets.com/copters.htm
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Nov 26, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
you need a couple of electronic gyros attached on the servos to make it fly-able;

Lama V4 Dual Swash Flybarless : Table top Cyclic Punch 1 (1 min 6 sec)

Otherwise it will be sheer pilot control (without the stabilizing electronics) to keep a flybarless heli upright;

NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro : Flybarless indoor 3 (1 min 9 sec)
EQMOD is offline Find More Posts by EQMOD
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:34 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofdream View Post
hello i have an idea and i want you to tell me what you think about it...i have a Nine eagles 4ch coaxial micro heli that i'm going to replace for a lama2-1 and i'm thinking of getting rid of the stabilizer and make the upper blade fixed somehow...do you think that it will actually fly like a normal heli without stabilizer or it is going to be a mess?
A coax can only fly flybarless if you manage to get the upper blades controlled by the swash as well, and have pretty fast reflexes. If you don't have experience with single rotor helis, I doubt you would be able to control such a setup. I do fly single rotor and probably won't be able to. Besided, what is the use of unstabilizing a type of heli that is meant as beginner class, and can only perform a little better when heavily modded? If you want a challenge, get a 90 degree flybar FP or a CP.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:26 PM
Joined Nov 2010
94 Posts
like i said in another thread i already ordered the ufly...i just asked cause i had this idea lately no problem...i probably won't mess with it unless i get really bored hehe...thanks for the answers guys...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:05 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,641 Posts
Good luck with that Ufly. I have one of the first simple ones, and LOVE it. Get alot of sets of those gears. They do tend to strip out for awile and make sure to mesh them properlly. Happy Flying. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:19 PM
Joined Nov 2010
94 Posts
i'm probably going to crash it in the first 2 minutes i guess but it's worth a shot i think
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:27 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,717 Posts
I couldn't wait to get rid of my Lama 2. The 2-1 is supposed to be better, but I wouldn't count on it. Turning a coax into a fixed pitch has been done before, but why bother? If you want a fixed pitch that is stable, there are plenty of them out there now.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack