Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:23 AM
Righty-O
Wagga Wagga. Australia
Joined Apr 2004
431 Posts
Help!
Throttle/Flaps setup JR 9X

Hi,

with my easyfly I have the flap switch set with aileron up and elevator down for landing (no flaps on easyfly)....new at this programming thing and the setup has not been tried yet in flight.

However I hear the sailplanes have a setup whereby the throttle stick progressively moves the flap setup...this seems better that the on/off setup I will be trying.

I was thinking (yeah I know..dangerous!) that there would or should be a mix around that incorporates a progressive movement of the throttle that brings in the flap deployment as the motor is brought down to zero.
Obviously a switch would be needed ( I assume ) to turn this off for normal flight.

When I am saying flap I mean the above setup on the easyfly..do not know what it is called...butterfly??

Have the manual and even had trouble getting the above mix working, but would like to learn more.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks, Barry
Bazr is offline Find More Posts by Bazr
Last edited by Bazr; Nov 10, 2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: tried to make it clearer!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:38 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
997 Posts
Should be easy

Barry,
I have a 3810, but the 9x is more capable and should present no problems. On my Optima sailplane, the three-position (flap) switch is set up to arm the throttle (switch full forward) with no mixing, disable throttle and 'spoiler' movement (switch centre) by mixing throttle against throttle at 100%, no mixing for ailerons up, then landing mode (switch fully back) by mixing up aileron and a bit of elevator from the throttle stick. Works a treat.
So you have Go mode, pure glider, and land, with no confusion between modes.
Someone with the same Tx should be able to give you more detailed advice, but a good play will teach much.
Cheers,
Pete
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:06 AM
Righty-O
Wagga Wagga. Australia
Joined Apr 2004
431 Posts
Thanks Pete,

will have to try and digest all that.

However, was that just for a sailplane and not an electric powered glider like the easyfly?

Barry
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:02 AM
Joined Jul 2008
997 Posts
Electric soarer

No, I was talking about an electric soarer.
You could also do the job using a two-position switch to trigger the mixes: forward for throttle enabled, but spoilerons inactive; back for thermal and land mode, with motor disabled and the throttle stick becoming a spoileron control - stick forward for soaring, coming back proportionally for approach control.
Hard to discuss specific mixes when Txs are different, but all the JR/Spektrum logic is reasonably consistent. Will have a go at describing the individual mixes if nobody else chimes in, or if you run into hassles.
Cheers,
Pete
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:12 AM
Righty-O
Wagga Wagga. Australia
Joined Apr 2004
431 Posts
Yay Pete,

that sounds pretty much what I am after, just don't know how to go about achieving it.

I am aware the 9X is capable ..but the operator has to be capable too eh?

thanks for your input.

Barry
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:41 AM
Righty-O
Wagga Wagga. Australia
Joined Apr 2004
431 Posts
So ok, have reread the posts a few times and let's see if I have it right.

Does it mean that the throttle (as a throttle) is cut out of the process when the flaps are deployable and one has to pop the switch if the approach is too short and power is needed?

Sorry about my noobieness!

Barry
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:53 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
870 Posts
Barry,

I believe you are going to have to use a switch to change the throttle stick functions. The JR transmitters sold in the US differ in programming on some points from those sold to rest of the world. Our distributor has JR make modifications based on recommendations of prominent test pilots. The one bit of logic needed to make the stick transition for throttle to butterfly control appears missing on the PCM9X, 9XII, and the DSX9. At least it doesn't appear in the manuals I've downloaded. Check to see on your MOTOR HOLD, BUTTERFLY MIX, and standard program mix menus if there is a SPOI STK INH. The INH can be changed to some numerical value between 0-100. This is in addition to the offset adjustment. The SPOI STK INH is a piece of logic that makes the spoiler/throttle stick position select different mixes like the select switches do. Without this extra logic, I don't know how you can make the stick change functions without the use of one of the select switches.

I'm in the process of setting up an electric glider. While I've programmed the stick to function both as a throttle and spoiler stick without using another switch, I'm not sure I care for it. The stick throttle and spoiler ranges are each more than halved as there should be some dead space between. When I get the plane flying, I may well change the programming to something more conventional, i.e., use one flight mode to have the stick control the motor and another mode for the stick to control the spoiler function.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:35 AM
Righty-O
Wagga Wagga. Australia
Joined Apr 2004
431 Posts
thanks for the input Allan,

cannot find the "motor hold" (yet) but the butterfly mix is in the glider section.

no "spoi stk inh"

in mix 1
it has
spoi + spoi

radio is JR PCM 9X

I am ok with that if it is not there and I have to use a switch, just want to understand what I have to do and the technique involved, would have thought that people around with this radio and a motor glider would have worked out various ways to set up their radios for landing with a conventional electric glider without flaps or dive brakes using the butterfly setup.

I will be interested to know how you end up with you mixes.

again, thanks

Barry
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:42 AM
Joined Jul 2008
997 Posts
Yes

Barry,
Short answer, yes. One switch position: throttle stick controls power, ailerons are just ailerons; middle position: pure glider, throttle stick is dead, ailerons just ailerons; land position: motor is disabled, throttle stick controls spoilerons. As Allan says, you can put them all on one stick, but I would be doing some head-scratching for that one.
You still have glidepath control in the landing mode, most modern sailplanes will keep on coming at an embarrassing rate when clean, so the spoilerons may be needed to get a decent descent rate on finals and you just clean up to compensate for a short approach.
You also need to be aware of the stick position when changing modes, or you will get all the power at once. Mode awareness is a necessity with these very capable radios - you need to stay ahead of the aircraft and plan the next move all the time.
Sounds like Allan has a good grasp of the 9X capabilities - you might be better listening to him on the detail.
Cheers, and don't call Wagga Wagga Wagga!
Pete
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:15 AM
Righty-O
Wagga Wagga. Australia
Joined Apr 2004
431 Posts
ha ha thanks Pete,

we sold our yacht that we lived on for quite a few years and would you believe Wagga (Wagga) is the first town we have lived in since being married (45years) but I have to tell you that the proper name is the two Wagga's (you probably know), but being aussies we of course change everything!

So don't take offence mate!

I have learned from the input so now I will look to having a switch for final, just thought a progressive deployment of flaps would make a more precise landing and that is what you guys have presented.

If it is not too much trouble can I have some sort of guideline of how to achieve it.

Barry
Last edited by Bazr; Nov 11, 2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:58 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
870 Posts
Barry,

Someone with a PCM9X should be chiming in here. The differences between my XP9303 and your PCM9X are significant. Not only does the programing differ but the switch layout is different as well. The PCM9X manual that I downloaded from MacGregor was not very helpful. The switch assignment I find convenient on my transmitter may be awkward on yours.

Assuming these differences can be overcome, the simplest way to program is to use the BUTTERFLY MIX menu. It saves you from programing two other program mixes. It may be possible that the same switch that controls the butterfly mixes can switch the throttle/spoiler stick functions between the motor and butterfly.

So if you are interested, do a small test. The first step after resetting a model memory slot and selecting the GLID configuration is to go to the BUTTERFLY MIX menu. In the upper left corner of the menu it should read [Butterfly] > 0. It should be either the MIX switch or the GEAR switch that changes it to [Butterfly] > 1. Next step is go to a standard program mix and see if that same switch is listed as a select switch.

If the above works, let me know and we'll continue on with the programming. I've programmed my transmitter using this setup. Unless there is some unforseen difference between our transmitters, it should work on yours.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:17 PM
Righty-O
Wagga Wagga. Australia
Joined Apr 2004
431 Posts
Allan,

my apologies for this.
I was aware the radio had a different name in the states but was not aware the programming was different...thought it was the same radio!

It appears you use the glid mode for this and I assumed having the motor meant I had to use acro.

however moving on.......
the switch that works in the glid/butterfly is the gear two position, situated rhs above the stick.
It does not appear to be in the prog mix 1....(that I can tell anyway,nothing changes when I flip the sw.)

Hang ten as I will continue to play...at least I have something to go on now.

Also our time zones mean we both have to sleep at different times so the delay in communication is another bother for you.

I really appreciate you taking the time and effort here.

Barry
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:12 PM
Righty-O
Wagga Wagga. Australia
Joined Apr 2004
431 Posts
OK I have to ask a dumb question, I cannot find in the manual what the following abbreviations mean that appear in the prog mix 1 screen.(and others)

FPU FPO FPD MIX TIM BT0 BT1 ?

Reading the manual but not learning much..but that's me.

Barry
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:35 AM
Joined Jul 2008
997 Posts
Best guess

Barry,
Those abbreviations are different from my 3810 versions, but similar enough to make an uneducated guess - these are the switches that you can use to activate the mix?
FPU - Flap switch Up?
FPO - Flap switch Off (or centre position)?
FPD - Flap switch Down
MIX - Mix switch
TIM - Dunno, but do you have a Timer switch?
BT0 - Butterfly switch 0
BT1 - Butterfly switch 1
You may find that different mixes have different switch options available.
Cheers,
Pete
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:05 AM
Righty-O
Wagga Wagga. Australia
Joined Apr 2004
431 Posts
Many thank again Pete,

that helps a lot, and makes sense of course, I guess the manual assumes one knows these things.

I think there is a timer yes.

The first three obviously relate to the three position flap sw that I have in use now to turn on/off butterfly.

The rest is a puzzle to me at the moment.

The radio appears to have different options in the menu between acro and glid mode..eg Butterfly is not an option in acro.

I assume you have your mix in glid the same as Allan?

I have the 9303 manual and it may help to cross reference anything Allan or anyone else comes up with.

Barry