HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:16 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,639 Posts
Istand:i agree with what you did ...thats how mine is ..but also a "inner bushing " is another bushing mounted in the fuse Common to the exhuast area .the stab wire will poke into the fuse ...use a plastic wheel bushing or a small square of 1/8 ply with a hole drilled in the center the same size as the stab wire . now the stab is supported in the fuse and the tail plylon....it wont twist the plylon off now as it is supported in two places ...there are pics of mine somewhere in the begining of the mod thread ....like 3 yrs ago ...at least
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:09 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,591 Posts
Not quite that old Rodger, but a wise man (or...was that a BIG man) once told me, "no one ever remembers 2nd place"
Here's a reminder.
We always have a Phase 3 -16 or two in the hangar

173 mph Phase 3, F 16 (0 min 44 sec)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:19 AM
Can anybody see it?
Baker , FL
Joined Dec 2009
326 Posts
I have had a squall and 3 F-16's and the F-16 is definetly faster with the same power system, but, the squall will crawl slower than the F-16 without stalling and makes for some really cool and fun high alfa flying. To each their own.
Oh, and I missed the whole rediculous priced plane deal but it was so much fun reading about it today!!!
Tinkasochi is offline Find More Posts by Tinkasochi
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:37 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Istand:i agree with what you did ...thats how mine is ..but also a "inner bushing " is another bushing mounted in the fuse Common to the exhuast area .the stab wire will poke into the fuse ...use a plastic wheel bushing or a small square of 1/8 ply with a hole drilled in the center the same size as the stab wire . now the stab is supported in the fuse and the tail plylon....it wont twist the plylon off now as it is supported in two places ...there are pics of mine somewhere in the begining of the mod thread ....like 3 yrs ago ...at least
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
hmm, i suck at explaining things but here goes.

in the tail pylons, where the existing brass bushings are, you need to make some sort of beefier bushing to go around the existing brass one.
what i do is, remove the stock bushings (it'll come out easy, they're not glued in very well) and make a little cavity where it was.
take a strip of 1mmish cf sheet (i'm sure light ply would work too, or even lexan) cut it to about 1cm x 10cm rectangle. drill a hole in one end the same size as the OD of the stock brass bushing. carve out a channel in the tail pylon that fits this cf strip.
use 30 min epoxy to glue the cf strip into the tail pylon, making sure to put the brass bushing through it. put a little extra epoxy over the bushing (use the same batch epoxy as you did for the cf strip, you want to do this all at the same time) and spin it/turn it in place. this will pull and distribute the epoxy all around the brass bushing. while the epoxy is curing, insert a rod of some sort through both brass bushings. this will keep them true while the glue does it's job.

doing this, along with boxing in the tail and upgrading the linkages you can run as much power as you want and be ok. glass might be overkill, but i love the finish it provides. i use 1oz fg cloth and zpoxy finishing resin and after the final coat of resin, it looks almost like a gel coat job. very tight.

using this method, i've NEVER had my tail fail. my last ef16 had an arc 1t/6904 on 4s and it was damn quick. i hit a tree going around 100 and just about nothing survived....save for the tail and rear of the fuse lol.
Thanks a lot for your help guys. I'll definitely do all that was suggested when I get one of these jets. The procedure doesn't sound to hard to do. Some of the F16's people have build here are monsterous. It's gone in a blink of an eye, lol. If someone has a crazy powered one and lives in California, please PM so o can see that thing fly in person!
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:26 PM
NEW JERSEY U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2010
494 Posts
Hey guys just got in from my first 10 flights with my new F-16 and all I can say is WOW!!! What a fantastic flying aircraft. I had such a great time with it. I used the stock 55mm fan with a Don's 5400kv motor, Turnigy 40amp esc with bec and Turnigy 2200mah 3s 20c lipos. This gave me three minute flight times with alot of WOT. I think I am going to try to fly with 4s if I can get it to ballance. Do any of you guys fly this jet with both 3s and 4s? Another question I have is I have some excess thrust tube maybe about 2'' or so coming out of the thrust cone. If I cut this off to make it look a little better will this effect anything?
SKYRYDER1000 is offline Find More Posts by SKYRYDER1000
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:13 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
If you decrease the diameter of the thrust tube on the exhaust of the jet it forces the same air to move at a higher velocity. If you cut some off the excess thrust tube off I imagine that you will increase the diameter of the thrust tube exit and will reduce the velocity of the air and reduce the top speed of your jet.

Of course there is an optimal setting for this based on many factors that I don't understand so I can't say for sure if your top speed will be affected. I guess it would reduce the load on your motor/battery and slow you down a little but someone that knows more than I will probably chime in.

Craig
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:14 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
also, i need some opinions here. i'm in the market for a new lipo charger, and i'd like this to be my last charger i ever buy (barring something breaking on the new one in a few years).
i need it to charge up to 6s lipo, lead acid 12v (nixx not important) and charge up to 10a. also it needs to be able to discharge a 4s lipo at a rate greater then .4a (like the bantam bc6 i use now....great charger but the discharger sucks balls).
does anyone make a charger that also has an on board watt meter? i need one of those too, but the ones i see for sale only go up to 100a...which is fine but in rare cases i have pwr systems that draw 120a +.
The TME Extrema XG has a built in 100 amp watt meter.
http://www.tmenet.com/products/lithi...xtrema-charger

If you need more than 100 Amps, get the Eagletree 150 amp model.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:20 AM
Can anybody see it?
Baker , FL
Joined Dec 2009
326 Posts
If you cut it off, you'll increase the low end thrust but decrease the high end velocity. In other words you'll have more power at launch and less top end. Not much difference with the stock fan but noticable. In my opinion, I'd rather loose a couple mph and make it look better.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:45 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,261 Posts
--Just flew JS1400 6904 on 5s 3200. It seems faster but the biggest thing that I noticed was how sensitive the elevator was at speed. The JS pulls about 48,000 rpm on 4s 3600 and another 9,000 rpm at 57,000 rpm on 5s. Amps on 5s were about 112 per Fluke clamp meter. It pulls about 92 amps on 4s. ----The ARC 1T pulls about 115 amps 51,000 rpm on 4s and 135 amps 60,000+ rpm on 5s. The rotor likes the JS better and is still in one piece. Gonna put the replacement ARC back in it though. It is a couple ounces lighter. --I'll doppler maybe later this week. Cool air keeps the motors cool but have to keep the batteries in the truck.
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:02 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
in my stock f16, if I used a 1800mah 3cell 30C battery, vs a 2200mah 3cell 30C, will I really notice any difference? the 1800 will push 54 amps, which is still more then the esc will put out to the motor, so going even higher to the 2200mah, I dont see any benefit, do you?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:07 PM
Once-ler
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
forgot about you thin, COLD air dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
--Just flew JS1400 6904 on 5s 3200. It seems faster but the biggest thing that I noticed was how sensitive the elevator was at speed. The JS pulls about 48,000 rpm on 4s 3600 and another 9,000 rpm at 57,000 rpm on 5s. Amps on 5s were about 112 per Fluke clamp meter. It pulls about 92 amps on 4s. ----The ARC 1T pulls about 115 amps 51,000 rpm on 4s and 135 amps 60,000+ rpm on 5s. The rotor likes the JS better and is still in one piece. Gonna put the replacement ARC back in it though. It is a couple ounces lighter. --I'll doppler maybe later this week. Cool air keeps the motors cool but have to keep the batteries in the truck.
jmrust is offline Find More Posts by jmrust
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:15 PM
Once-ler
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
check you watt output...what's the weight difference...20 grams or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
in my stock f16, if I used a 1800mah 3cell 30C battery, vs a 2200mah 3cell 30C, will I really notice any difference? the 1800 will push 54 amps, which is still more then the esc will put out to the motor, so going even higher to the 2200mah, I dont see any benefit, do you?
jmrust is offline Find More Posts by jmrust
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:23 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
I just picked up one of these for my first EDF. Mine came with a 5-blade 70mm fan - I think from the Squall. I know this is designed for 3S, but will the motor handle 4S?

Also, I want to make the center section of my belly pan removable so I can get to the Fan/ESC. I know some have cut up their belly pan and glued the front and rear sections in place. Does anyone have pics of this?

I'd like to see how big (or small) of a center section people made removable and what and how they hold the base in place. Thanks in advance!
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:32 PM
Can anybody see it?
Baker , FL
Joined Dec 2009
326 Posts
My center section is removable.........with a hobby knife, two razor blades, a coping saw, a hacksaw blade, a butane torch with rope melting attachment, two different flat head screwdrivers, some sort of putty knife thing, a red hot coat hangar, elbow grease, and a bottle of goo gone.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrust View Post
check you watt output...what's the weight difference...20 grams or so?
I am a simple flyer, I dont have a watt meter, sorry.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1