HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:50 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
Thought it might be to good to be true. Oh well. I am surprised that they wouldn't at least honor that price on one kit per person since the error was on their part. A lot of retailers honor pricing errors. I'm not going to dispute it. I will be interested in making sure the old credit card gets credited correctly.

For anybody that challenges them...let us know what they say please.

thanks.
Psycho Synapse is offline Find More Posts by Psycho Synapse
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:15 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
I have to admit that for anybody who tuned in and read the previous posts but missed the "event" must have enjoyed a good laugh at our expense. I was one of those who decided to partake in the most excellent pricing only to find out later it was a no go. I even laughed about it. We must have looked like a bunch of kids scrambling to pick up the candy that just fell out of the newly busted airplane pinata.
Psycho Synapse is offline Find More Posts by Psycho Synapse
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Synapse View Post
I have to admit that for anybody who tuned in and read the previous posts but missed the "event" must have enjoyed a good laugh at our expense. I was one of those who decided to partake in the most excellent pricing only to find out later it was a no go. I even laughed about it. We must have looked like a bunch of kids scrambling to pick up the candy that just fell out of the newly busted airplane pinata.
Lol! That's exactly how I felt!
thrashmaster71 is online now Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:00 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrust View Post
Call in and ask for the Kyle...the name on the bottom of the email. Still a great deal, but not amazing
I emailed Kyle a few hours ago and he said that they are also not responsible for inadvertent errors, as posted on their website, but he understands the situation. He said he can not sell those products for under cost. Sounds like we're not going to get anywhere. I'd like to know what deal, if any, he would offer.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:03 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,921 Posts
Deleted.
Last edited by T-CAT; Nov 12, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:03 PM
NEW JERSEY U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Let me get this straight...... The HP EF16 now comes with a 70mm fan???
Yes sir!!!! Thats how it comes now. I have one to prove it. The 70mm fan fits perfectly because the fan shroud is very thin. It is for use with 4s lipo and only comes with a 30amp esc so I'm not sure you can use the 70mm with 3s although some claim they have done it.
SKYRYDER1000 is offline Find More Posts by SKYRYDER1000
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:12 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYRYDER1000 View Post
Yes sir!!!! Thats how it comes now. I have one to prove it. The 70mm fan fits perfectly because the fan shroud is very thin. It is for use with 4s lipo and only comes with a 30amp esc so I'm not sure you can use the 70mm with 3s although some claim they have done it.
That's incredible!! That makes it even better! Thank you. I've more bummed out now that I don't get any of the ones I bought this morning, ha-ha.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:25 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
so I emailed Kyle and while he told me the same thing about how they cannot sell them below cost, he did offer to sell me them at cost with free shipping. so a ef-16 kit for $25 and free shipping, and a squall ARF for $65 and free shipping. still a great deal. $65, that is half price from the regular price. I think I am going to still go ahead and get the squall and forgo the ef-16 kit for now since i have one already that is flying good, just doesnt look as pretty.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:32 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,921 Posts
He offered me the same deal for the EF-16 ARF, and with free shipping. It's deinitwly a good deal.

Now, which plane, the squall or F16 can withstand 1800W of power that I plan to put in it. I will put carbon in the wings, maybe a bit in the elevators, a tiny bit along the tail adjacent to the fuselage, and that's it. I don't plan on classing it or anything. Do you think the F16 will handle that power with those simple mods? I've read the other thread and some people are glassing, and using many more techniques for it to handle the power. Will I need different linkages than what comes with it if I up the power to where I want it? I've also been reading that squall is not as stable as the F16.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:55 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
my hobby shop guy has flown both and he told me the squall was his far favorite. he said it was super stable and you could fly it at a crawl if you wanted and its super fast just stock. plus it more aerobatic in what it can do. I would pick the squall over the f16 myself.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:29 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
i wouldn't go 1800w without glassing it, but that's just me. make sure you box in the tail pylons and glue inner bushings into the foam around the brass sleeves.
also, i'd upgrade the linkages too. 1800w is nothing to sneeze at, that's serious power...and this is a small foam model. do the math lol.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:36 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
F-16 is very stable, also while inverted too.

fred
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:36 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,921 Posts
Thanks Istandalone. I appreciate your advice. What do you mean by inner bushings? Everything else you suggested makes perfect sense. Thanks again.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:45 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Thanks Istandalone. I appreciate your advice. What do you mean by inner bushings? Everything else you suggested makes perfect sense. Thanks again.
hmm, i suck at explaining things but here goes.

in the tail pylons, where the existing brass bushings are, you need to make some sort of beefier bushing to go around the existing brass one.
what i do is, remove the stock bushings (it'll come out easy, they're not glued in very well) and make a little cavity where it was.
take a strip of 1mmish cf sheet (i'm sure light ply would work too, or even lexan) cut it to about 1cm x 10cm rectangle. drill a hole in one end the same size as the OD of the stock brass bushing. carve out a channel in the tail pylon that fits this cf strip.
use 30 min epoxy to glue the cf strip into the tail pylon, making sure to put the brass bushing through it. put a little extra epoxy over the bushing (use the same batch epoxy as you did for the cf strip, you want to do this all at the same time) and spin it/turn it in place. this will pull and distribute the epoxy all around the brass bushing. while the epoxy is curing, insert a rod of some sort through both brass bushings. this will keep them true while the glue does it's job.

doing this, along with boxing in the tail and upgrading the linkages you can run as much power as you want and be ok. glass might be overkill, but i love the finish it provides. i use 1oz fg cloth and zpoxy finishing resin and after the final coat of resin, it looks almost like a gel coat job. very tight.

using this method, i've NEVER had my tail fail. my last ef16 had an arc 1t/6904 on 4s and it was damn quick. i hit a tree going around 100 and just about nothing survived....save for the tail and rear of the fuse lol.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:08 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,544 Posts
On the same power system, the EF16 is faster than the Squall. I have both with the same HET power system and the difference is very noticeable. The EF16 is also more agile than Squall, but TV will probably change that. Squall is a very stable flyer, with tame slow speed characteristics.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280