SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:19 AM
Per Ardua ad Astra
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
Did you simply coat with Z-Poxy, or did you cover with fiberglass cloth; if so what weight cloth? Also, how does it fly with the Wicked Extreme on 3S? I'm using a Wicked 4800 on 3S and it flies great, but mine only weighs 22oz, (no glass).

Sonny
Hi Sonny
I used the lightest cloth I could find....I think it was Hanger 9 1/2 oz. I think the finish would be too brittle with resin only, and not have the same sort of strength.
The A.U.W. is 30 oz. I don't really see a big problem with the higher wing loading, handlauches just fine and tracks really well in any sort of wind.
I also have a HET F16 flying with a 6904 fan on 4S.... this flies faster but you need to keep all your wits about you with that one
Esprit 88 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit 88
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:54 AM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Did you simply coat with Z-Poxy, or did you cover with fiberglass cloth; if so what weight cloth? Also, how does it fly with the Wicked Extreme on 3S? I'm using a Wicked 4800 on 3S and it flies great, but mine only weighs 22oz, (no glass).

Sonny
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I'll share what I did. I used silk and WBPU instead of fiberglass cloth and a finishing resin. It is super cheap and doesn't add much weight, but definitely adds some strength. Just another option you could think about.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:16 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
OMG!

This thread is still going on eh? Wow a tribute to a nice airframe and the many mods you can do with it.

*need to finish shoehorning my gear*

B
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:40 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I'll share what I did. I used silk and WBPU instead of fiberglass cloth and a finishing resin. It is super cheap and doesn't add much weight, but definitely adds some strength. Just another option you could think about.
I like that suggestion, easier sounds good to me. I already have WBPU, I just need to get some silk. I don't have a garage so I build in my kitchen, doing a full-blown epoxy/cloth job with lots of gooey drips and excessive sanding wouldn't be good for my kitchen floor or my landlord's mood; thanks.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jun 17, 2011, 04:20 AM
Per Ardua ad Astra
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Hi Sonny,

You're probably right, I get in big trouble wet sanding in the sink of My Wife's Kitchen!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:10 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit 88 View Post
Hi Sonny,

You're probably right, I get in big trouble wet sanding in the sink of My Wife's Kitchen!
No various wife(s) to tick off around here currently, (I'm taking the decade off). Here's an accurate representation of the "various wife(s)" in chronological order; , but globs of epoxy on the kitchen floor are a bit much even me. Though, there are probably worse things than that are growing under my fridge, (and in it), but they are out of sight and therefore according to the "The Old Single Guys Handbook", (and lack of spousal unit), can officially be ignored.

Sonny
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
I like that suggestion, easier sounds good to me. I already have WBPU, I just need to get some silk. I don't have a garage so I build in my kitchen, doing a full-blown epoxy/cloth job with lots of gooey drips and excessive sanding wouldn't be good for my kitchen floor or my landlord's mood; thanks.

Sonny
Yeah, the water clean up of WBPU is what I like about it, especially for just these foam models where you don't need super hardcore resin and fiberglass. And the WBPU sands so easily that after you lay the silk you only need a few more coats for a super smooth finish. Good luck!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, the water clean up of WBPU is what I like about it, especially for just these foam models where you don't need super hardcore resin and fiberglass. And the WBPU sands so easily that after you lay the silk you only need a few more coats for a super smooth finish. Good luck!
Hey, I just recognized your avatar. I picked up a little male "normal" ball python from you for my daughter back in September, remember? He's growing up strong and healthy, and eats like a piggy; he'll be a year old next month! I think I'll check your website and see what's new, I think our little boy might want a girlfriend!

Sonny
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Hey, I just recognized your avatar. I picked up a little male "normal" ball python from you for my daughter back in September, remember? He's growing up strong and healthy, and eats like a piggy; he'll be a year old next month! I think I'll check your website and see what's new, I think our little boy might want a girlfriend!

Sonny
Yes, I do think I remember! I'm glad he is doing well for you! How random bumping into you here - snakes and planes - a great combination.

Nothing new as of now. Waiting for bp eggs to drop - already have some corn eggs. My first clutch of bp eggs should be here in a month or so, she just had her pre lay shed.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:42 AM
Foam Is Where The Heart Is.
Austin, Tx
Joined Feb 2009
668 Posts
snakes and planes

Snakes on a Plane? "Enough is Enough!!! I have had it with these motha f@$*n snakes on this motha f*$#n plane!!!"
homiefoamie is offline Find More Posts by homiefoamie
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:32 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I do think I remember! I'm glad he is doing well for you! How random bumping into you here - snakes and planes - a great combination.

Nothing new as of now. Waiting for bp eggs to drop - already have some corn eggs. My first clutch of bp eggs should be here in a month or so, she just had her pre lay shed.
It definitely is a small world, and with sites like RCG, it's getting smaller all the time. I'll keep checking for updates on your site, might consider a corn too, but I definitely want a female ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homiefoamie View Post
Snakes on a Plane? "Enough is Enough!!! I have had it with these motha f@$*n snakes on this motha f*$#n plane!!!"
Yes the weird and playful flock together! Dunno about others, but blueapplepaste and I share a passion for all things scaly and all things foam; wonder if Samuel L Jackson agrees?

Sonny
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
Foam Is Where The Heart Is.
Austin, Tx
Joined Feb 2009
668 Posts
So I just clicked pay now on another one. Ima use my stock 55mm fan with the wicked 5400 and my 3300 4s packs. What size esc and how do I glass it? What type of speed should I expect outta that set up? Thanks in advance.

Dustin
homiefoamie is offline Find More Posts by homiefoamie
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:04 PM
Per Ardua ad Astra
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Hey Dustin

As far as glassing is concerned I'm sure there is a good faq somewhere on this site, but basically the Z-Poxy finishing resin is painted through the lightweight glasscloth and onto the surface of the airframe. You can only use the 1/2" brush and resin container once as the Z-Poxy sets up like rock after an hour or so.

I only cover one surface at a time ie the top of the wings and leave overnight before covering underneath, after removing the excess resin and cloth that has overlapped the edges.

I assemble the plane only after glassing, grey priming, and colour coating each part using Halford auto sprays.

Wet sanding the glassed surface, and then the grey primed glassed surface, is the worst bit, and just seems to go on forever as the new surface is very hard.

You really can't tell the difference though between the finish on my composite HET F16 and the Phase 3 foamy one....you just have to be prepared to put in a lot of time to match it though
Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:03 PM
NEW JERSEY U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiefoamie View Post
So I just clicked pay now on another one. Ima use my stock 55mm fan with the wicked 5400 and my 3300 4s packs. What size esc and how do I glass it? What type of speed should I expect outta that set up? Thanks in advance.

Dustin
I have the same setup in one of my EF-16s. IMO you don't need that big of a lipo for that setup. I fly mine with a 2200mah 4s 40c-80c burst lipo and a 60amp Turnigy plush esc, I can get three mins plus of wot flying. Listen to what the Rc speedo lady says in this video, that will give you an idea of speeds you will reach with this jet and the wicked 5400kv on 4s.

http://youtu.be/g9x0h-Z0SGU?hd=1
SKYRYDER1000 is offline Find More Posts by SKYRYDER1000
Last edited by SKYRYDER1000; Jun 18, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:18 PM
Winston Hills, Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
170 Posts
You guys are so lucky being able to buy replacement airframes
from Hobby People.
Here in Australia the place where I bought mine no longer stock them
and I haven't found any other LHS selling them.
My first F16 sadly is now dead but I still have all the electrics,fan and motor.
Unfortunately Hobby People do not ship outside USA and Canada.
pauljohnston is offline Find More Posts by pauljohnston