HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:31 AM
Bristol UK
Joined Aug 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
How is a thrust tube installed? This will be my first time using one that was created for me. I know it can be taped to the fan housing, but I'm confused on house the rest of the tube layes in the fuselage. Since the tube is smaller in diameter than the fuselage, how is secured in there without flopping around and making the jet act like it has thrust vectoring?
Mine is just taped to the fan unit, the exit diameter is exactly the same size as the exit diameter of the fuse, so the just sit the fan in and the thrust tube is held straight by the fuse as it has no room to move, I'll take a pic later to show you.

I did take mine apart and re tape it as the join wasn't quite straight out of the box but I just overlapped the plastic up to the edge of the double sided tape.
tim.fuggdesign is offline Find More Posts by tim.fuggdesign
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:33 AM
Once-ler
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
you shouldn't have a problem with the thrust tube if it's securely taped all the way around the fan and goes to the edge of the black fake exhaust tube. The fan and tt will lay against the top half of the fuse.

Quote:
How is a thrust tube installed? This will be my first time using one that was created for me. I know it can be taped to the fan housing, but I'm confused on house the rest of the tube layes in the fuselage. Since the tube is smaller in diameter than the fuselage, how is secured in there without flopping around and making the jet act like it has thrust vectoring?
jmrust is offline Find More Posts by jmrust
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:55 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,558 Posts
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I possible, Tim, I would love to see pictures on how the tube lays in the exhaust.

Has anyone used a thrust tube mite sturdy than say the typical plastic clear projector sheets? For example, I would imagine a foam cup, or soda cup would work since it tapers at the end. Does anyone have experience with that?
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,558 Posts
Also, how does the tube stayed secure in the fuselage if the thrust tube exit diameter is much smaller than the fuselage exit diameter?
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:07 PM
Once-ler
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
It will stay in place because it's taped to the shroud and that in turn is affixed to the fuse.

Quote:
Also, how does the tube stayed secure in the fuselage if the thrust tube exit diameter is much smaller than the fuselage exit diameter?
jmrust is offline Find More Posts by jmrust
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:25 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,558 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks jm. I'm going to have to try this out for the first time.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:41 PM
NEW JERSEY U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2010
494 Posts
Here ya go T-CAT!

Name: 100_0055.jpg
Views: 190
Size: 35.5 KB
Description:

Name: 100_0051.jpg
Views: 230
Size: 35.1 KB
Description:

Name: 100_0054.jpg
Views: 195
Size: 44.1 KB
Description:

Name: 100_0052.jpg
Views: 175
Size: 26.6 KB
Description:
SKYRYDER1000 is offline Find More Posts by SKYRYDER1000
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,558 Posts
Thanks Sky!! That looks amazing man. That is one hell of a clean install with that thrust tube.

I have a couple questions. Was material is your thrust tube made of? When you cut it to size, do you allow overlap each side of the thrust tube, because then there would be a lifted area of material wrapped inside the tube? Do you secure your thrust tube with a certain type of tape like clear box tape, or a different method?

Thanks a ton. I need to do mine like you show for sure.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:06 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
overlap is needed to secure the film. you'll need a spot to glue/tape on. the little lip that's created by it causes no ill effects.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:11 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,558 Posts
Awesome. Thanks a lot guy's. All the information has helped tremendously. Now, I need to test some out and practice building them .
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:13 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
oh, for material it's good to use "drafting mylar" or largish overhead projector sheets.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:22 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,558 Posts
Good call. I picked some clear projector heats already to try it out. Have you ever tried a paper soda cup (one if the large ones from fast food places)?
Old Jan 07, 2011, 02:03 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,440 Posts
Just some pics of my second EF-16.

Same paint scheme as my first, but flies much better without all the repairs
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2011, 03:24 AM
Bristol UK
Joined Aug 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I possible, Tim, I would love to see pictures on how the tube lays in the exhaust.

Has anyone used a thrust tube mite sturdy than say the typical plastic clear projector sheets? For example, I would imagine a foam cup, or soda cup would work since it tapers at the end. Does anyone have experience with that?
Aw, Skyryder you beat me to it.
Well Tcat I guess a few more pics can't help, here you go , good luck although it should be pretty straight forward
tim.fuggdesign is offline Find More Posts by tim.fuggdesign
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:58 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.fuggdesign View Post
Aw, Skyryder you beat me to it.
Well Tcat I guess a few more pics can't help, here you go , good luck although it should be pretty straight forward
Thanks Tim, your pictures help a lot. It looks likethe exhaust diameter or rear of the thrust tube is the same size as the side that attaches to the fan. I've read that between 80-100% FSA oaths standard for exit diameter of the tube. Even at 100% FSA, do you measure/feel a difference in top end speed with the tube vs. without the tube?

Thanks again. You guy's are awesome.