Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
Hey guys i want an upgrade for my f-16 to a 4s setup
so i need??
4s 2200 20c lipo
Dons Wicked 4800
Wicked 60mm fan unit
40amp ESC (correct?)

Also do i need AIR SALLY's fiberglass intake duct and do i need to glass this thing?
I know how to beef up the tailerons and other strengthening mods on this plane.
Sorry Im just a noob and want to make sure i get the right parts.
Thanks
Airplanekid333 is offline Find More Posts by Airplanekid333
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:23 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
first off, don't get 20c lipos. get 30c at minimum. you can get by on 20c with that motor but you'll have more punch the higher c rating you get.
40a esc is correct.

for a 60mm fan, airsally's intake duct isn't needed (and the duct is made for 70mm, so mating it to the fan will be a bitch) and you'll probably want to keep those cheater's open.

for the tail mods, just find a picture on this thread, and scroll to the bottom of the page. you'll see "previous 5 pics" and "next 5 pics" icons. you can use those to scroll through the pics only w/o having to read the text. all the mods/info you need is in those pics. lots of great ideas.

glassing isn't needed, but it does look really nice and prevents hangar rash to an extent. it does take a while to do it right, so it's time consuming.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Dec 05, 2010, 05:49 AM
Trevor
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jun 2010
45 Posts
TV Mod

Hey Fellas! I have an old EF2K TV setup that I am thinking of moding to the EF-16. Has anyone put a TV mod together? Any suggestions?
TMoney75034 is offline Find More Posts by TMoney75034
Old Dec 05, 2010, 11:31 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
.....for the tail mods, just find a picture on this thread, and scroll to the bottom of the page. you'll see "previous 5 pics" and "next 5 pics" icons. you can use those to scroll through the pics only w/o having to read the text. all the mods/info you need is in those pics. lots of great ideas.......
we have to search the "original" thread now......
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old Dec 05, 2010, 02:21 PM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle View Post
we have to search the "original" thread now......
ooops
Old Dec 05, 2010, 06:47 PM
5 kilowatt club
Minneapolis Minnesnowtah
Joined Nov 2007
803 Posts
Nice UPS scheme, this thread has revived my interest in this airframe and I think for my version 4 I'm going to have to do something unique again. Last scheme I used was a made up Home Depot that was easy to see, hmm... oh the possibilities.
MNMadman is offline Find More Posts by MNMadman
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:19 PM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMadman View Post
Nice UPS scheme, this thread has revived my interest in this airframe and I think for my version 4 I'm going to have to do something unique again. Last scheme I used was a made up Home Depot that was easy to see, hmm... oh the possibilities.
Whats up bud, I like that scheme.......
How you been!

I too am looking at finishing mine up in a sport finish. Just waiting on Vertical Stab I lost so I can finish it.
I've got a Alfa Fan wicked motor combo in it and really want to get it going.

I even ordered another one for maybe upgrading it to a 70mm.

regards,

Orlando
marineA4 is offline Find More Posts by marineA4
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:49 PM
5 kilowatt club
Minneapolis Minnesnowtah
Joined Nov 2007
803 Posts
Thanks Orlando, one of my first P3 16's had a Don's wicked in a Alpha 5 blade and flew excellent.

Tail mod jpg from other thread.

I went one step further on my 70mm high power set-up and also braced the the tail to the foam part of the exhaust cone with carbon rod to eliminate flex, you can kind of see it in my previous photo.
MNMadman is offline Find More Posts by MNMadman
Old Dec 06, 2010, 02:26 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,443 Posts
I've just retired my first - it was getting tired and a bit heavy after a few repairs.

Am in the process of building #2. Fully glassed using 3/4oz cloth and WBPU, HET 6904+3W 60A ESC on 4s power system, metal gear servos, thin ply tail reinforcing and brass tube supports in the fuselage for the elevon pivot rod ends.

Colour scheme will be the same as my first airframe.

A great little jet!

Cheers,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:14 PM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
636 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Orlando, one of my first P3 16's had a Don's wicked in a Alpha 5 blade and flew excellent.

Tail mod jpg from other thread.

I went one step further on my 70mm high power set-up and also braced the the tail to the foam part of the exhaust cone with carbon rod to eliminate flex, you can kind of see it in my previous photo.
Hi Paul,
Nice setup on the templates. Yes, I see it in your photo what your talking about.
I kind of did mines a little different since i'm only using an Alfa fan. Did'nt think it need that much doubling support structure.......

I'm still looking at the 70mm setup. It seems like it would just be too heavy of airplane to fly and landing is fast. I've seen videos but its not the same on video and you actually flying it in real time. I know I can handle it but I'll see it when i put one together.

Orlando
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:16 PM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dro56595@bigpo View Post
I've just retired my first - it was getting tired and a bit heavy after a few repairs.

Am in the process of building #2. Fully glassed using 3/4oz cloth and WBPU, HET 6904+3W 60A ESC on 4s power system, metal gear servos, thin ply tail reinforcing and brass tube supports in the fuselage for the elevon pivot rod ends.

Colour scheme will be the same as my first airframe.

A great little jet!

Cheers,

Dan.
Dan, Nice shot of your retired Phase 3 16.........Its always nice to have aerial shots of airplanes we've retired.........

Regards,

Orlando
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:07 PM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marineA4 View Post
Hi Paul,
Nice setup on the templates. Yes, I see it in your photo what your talking about.
I kind of did mines a little different since i'm only using an Alfa fan. Did'nt think it need that much doubling support structure.......

I'm still looking at the 70mm setup. It seems like it would just be too heavy of airplane to fly and landing is fast. I've seen videos but its not the same on video and you actually flying it in real time. I know I can handle it but I'll see it when i put one together.

Orlando
70mm fan system (think 6904/2w20 & 3000mah 30c 4s packs) isn't really that much heavier.
i could barely tell the difference in wing loading between 60mm on 3s and 70mm on 4s.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:18 PM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
70mm fan system (think 6904/2w20 & 3000mah 30c 4s packs) isn't really that much heavier.
i could barely tell the difference in wing loading between 60mm on 3s and 70mm on 4s.
Thanks for the info istandalone,

After giving it some thought it really doesnt seem like much either. I have a 64mm fan Wicked motor and a 6904 Medusa 28-40-2500 motor and speed control.

Should have done this from the beggining but i'll break out the scale and calculate it. I need to get back on the ball after a 3 year break......LOL

Regards,

Orlando
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:02 PM
Can anybody see it?
Baker , FL
Joined Dec 2009
326 Posts
So I found some 5s 3250mah batteries online that claim to have a true 150c discharge rate. They only weigh 409grams. Anyone ever heard of such a thing? They only cost $140 each with shipping. That's less weight and price than a Thunder Power.
Tinkasochi is offline Find More Posts by Tinkasochi
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:17 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,767 Posts
Quote:
Hey hey.....
I'm gettin the Phase 3 fever again too.
We missed ya in Vegas a couple years back. 177 is the speed to beat.
Love that nascar theme.

Somebody needs to get me one for Christmas.

Gary (AKA One Six Right)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014