HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
[QUOTE=stingeragents;23441029]It was a 55mm or something like that i think. Or it could have been an alpha 64. If your wanting the easy route use a 64. If your fans like mine the intake ring cant be removed. I cut it off with a dremel and you still will have to do a lot of sanding to get it in there. If you got a dremel i'd highly recommend sanding with that.

I'm capable of preparing it correctly if the 70mm will work perform better with 4s (full dremel set in the tool crib). Now I'm not looking to break the sound barrier as I park fly on a couple of limited size fields. Just like at the eye doctor is A better or B?
Here's some more info I found:
The 64mm fan has 3300 kv motor with a 40 amp detrum esc. These were powering my 1st a-10 that had a reciever brown out and lived in a tree for a month until it fell out.
I'm pretty sure the motor in A is a 3000kv as it was packaged specifically for the meteor.
Thanks for the help, there are so many combinations that can work.
dagger169 is offline Find More Posts by dagger169
Last edited by dagger169; Dec 04, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Yup. That 70mm is the detrum alright. Either fan will fly it . Ive never run the detrum in this plane, just the shroud. Im in the process of building my 2nd one with the complete detrum setup. If you give me a day or 2 i will hsve it flyable and can take a vid with 4s and 5s
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
Yeah, I'll look for that video. Mine won't get started till christmas since santa hasn't given it to me yet. I've got work to do to create more hangar space anyway. Will check back. Nice to know Im only in for the batts and esc. Cheers!
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:58 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Man, have I been sick with this new horrible flu. Fed Ex just dropped mone off and looks like this thread is just where I need it. Maybe Tue. I'll be able to open the box..Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:04 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Man, have I been sick with this new horrible flu. Fed Ex just dropped mone off and looks like this thread is just where I need it. Maybe Tue. I'll be able to open the box..Dave/zeezee
Sorry to hear you're sick.

I hear the flu this year is a real butt-kicker -- so take the time to rest and get over it, even if you are usually one of those 'walk it off' types!
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger169 View Post
Yeah, I'll look for that video. Mine won't get started till christmas since santa hasn't given it to me yet. I've got work to do to create more hangar space anyway. Will check back. Nice to know Im only in for the batts and esc. Cheers!
hey dagger, im from maryville. used to live next to sandy springs park. where abouts do you live? ive also got a p-3 f-16 im building. its rare to see someone from maryville, or tenn., for that matter. theres no hobby shops or much of an rc community there. i know of the rc club at the dump, but its nowhere near as big as it is here in georgia. without a hobby shop, theres not much access to rc there. guess you have to either drive to knoxville, or order everything online.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
I know the feeling. Theres 1 LHS here but I never see anyone there minus the owner and his wife. I've only ever see 1 other person in this town flying any sort of plane and it was an elderly guy flying what I think was one of the airhogs planes from walmart.

Dagger, I'm gonna try and get the electronics in tonight. Then I'll just have to glue the bottom on and fiberglass it. I may be able to get it flyable by tomorrow.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
I fly at Amerine Park and the new Coulter Grove School yard. I am planning on AMA and the Blount County Club as I want some retractable gear planes. Foamie jets, belly birds and skidmaster edf's may get old. Up the hill from Blount Mem. Hospital. Yeah, Turkey Creek Hobbytown and the net ar ethe sources. Nice to hear from you.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Went and got ply wood today after the dentist. I was a little out of sorts and grabbed 1/64 instead of 1/16. Think I am going to use it anyway, along with some carbon rod, and will also add a top piece to the pylons, then paint the whole thing in epoxy when I'm done. Should be plenty strong, right? Or do I need to get the 1/16?
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
If your covering whole thing in epoxy might as well add fiberglass cloth
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
heres some older pics of my f-16. couldnt find the newer pics, but, ive done a bit more progress since these pics, not much though. other projects have got in the way. but im going to take the time to build it right. i also plan to add a thin layer of fiberglass cloth. ive also got some CF spars in the main wings & elevators.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Add ply to those pylons man.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:46 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Agreed. If you're going to use carbon, I suggest carbon tow, and completely box the pylons in black gold.

Twisting is the failure you need to stop. A couple of rods like that are good for bending, but won't do much for twisting.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:02 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
If your covering whole thing in epoxy might as well add fiberglass cloth
Was just going to paint the balsa parts in epoxy, the 5 mins stuff. Just to harden it up a bit since I am going to use the thinner ply wood. So it will be carbon rods, 1/64 ply, with epoxy coating. Should be good huh? Or should I still go for the thicker ply?
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:22 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,022 Posts
Is anybody using the reinforcement backing they give you in the kit for the wings and stabilator's ? I'm going to use the decals and I'm wondering do I really use the reinforcement backing and put the decals over top ?
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow